What's new

MORE Suspicious activity.

I've PM'd people in the past with questions and one guy who was looking for a razor I had. I've had people PM me looking for the same razor also. I didn't realize the scammers were so sophisticated to create a profile that was interactive and even helpful. I thought of sending a PM someone who was looking for a Sensor razor handle just to send it to them but lost who they were. If I get the urge to unload it I'll list it in a public forum as a free PIF or something now that I have this knowledge.
Thanks to the moderators for keeping an eye out and things in check.

So wait, the shaver jesus used and was stored in noah's ark isn't real? Man I could have used that $100 to get a shaving bowl and a few more shave soaps and aftershave products. Knew I should have made a post to get what info I could.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So wait, the shaver jesus used and was stored in noah's ark isn't real? Man I could have used that $100 to get a shaving bowl and a few more shave soaps and aftershave products. Knew I should have made a post to get what info I could.
I'll buy it for you, I can afford it.
A large sum of money is being deposited into my bank account as we speak by a nice young man in Nigeria.

I've PM'd people in the past with questions and one guy who was looking for a razor I had. I've had people PM me looking for the same razor also. I didn't realize the scammers were so sophisticated to create a profile that was interactive and even helpful. I thought of sending a PM someone who was looking for a Sensor razor handle just to send it to them but lost who they were. If I get the urge to unload it I'll list it in a public forum as a free PIF or something now that I have this knowledge.
Thanks to the moderators for keeping an eye out and things in check.
Check the users profile for when they joined and number of posts. That may give you some insights into the person.

I have done public PIFs and private. If someone mentions they want something, or would like to try something, and I have it then I may PIF it. I will PM and tell them I would like to PIF them something and ask for their address.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Check the users profile for when they joined and number of posts. That may give you some insights into the person.

I have done public PIFs and private. If someone mentions they want something, or would like to try something, and I have it then I may PIF it. I will PM and tell them I would like to PIF them something and ask for their address.
Generally what I do is quote their statement and comment in the public thread to PM me their address and I'll send them one no charge.
Folks seem more accepting when it's in public view, JMHO.

Something that has dawned on me is I haven't seen requirements for responses to FT or WTB posts. If someone has an item they would trade to an OP FT post, they should have to post a pic to the OP with their user name and the item and date. Same would apply to a WTB posts. That may go on behind the scenes, but it seems appropriate to put something in writing in the guidelines, just to dot those EYES and cross those TEES.

Unless I'm missing the whole point, which I'm prone to do.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I know it’s a bad idea to give exact details of how this scam works (copycats) but I do not understand what was done here!
An individual sent PM messages to dozens of people saying someone he knew had the high end item they were looking for, and provided "his friends" email address.
In every case, the tense of the message was awkward, as he had copied the name of the item exactly, and pasted it into his offer because he didn't know what the item was.
Gross example:
WTB: RR GC 68 SB/84 SB

"Hi, my friend has a RR GC 68 SB/84 SB in good condition".
Not realizing the OP was asking for either/or.
Or
WTB: Manchurian Brushes

"Hi, my friend has a Manchurian Brushes in good condition".
Mixing single and plurals.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Something that has dawned on me is I haven't seen requirements for responses to FT or WTB posts. If someone has an item they would trade to an OP FT post, they should have to post a pic to the OP with their user name and the item and date. Same would apply to a WTB posts. That may go on behind the scenes, but it seems appropriate to put something in writing in the guidelines, just to dot those EYES and cross those TEES.

Unless I'm missing the whole point, which I'm prone to do.
We can look at means of increasing security, but at some point it becomes more trouble to the honest people than the crooks, and the crooks always find a way to get around the roadblock.

Just asking Phil, one member was asking about other knots comparable to Simpson’s Manchurian, and Shavemac D01 2 band, I suggested a few brushes, like DG B3, or M&F Finest.

I also PMed him that I was going to be posting a M&F 28mm Finest to see if he had any interest.

Was that against the rules?

I have since posted it on B&B.

Doug

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
More great work keeping this place a pleasant experience.
The next thing will probably be PMs about my vehicle warranty 🤪
A message from "The Vehicle Service Department"
Just asking Phil, one member was asking about other knots comparable to Simpson’s Manchurian, and Shavemac D01 2 band, I suggested a few brushes, like DG B3, or M&F Finest.

I also PMed him that I was going to be posting a M&F 28mm Finest to see if he had any interest.

Was that against the rules?

I have since posted it on B&B.

Doug
I just used the Razor type and Manchurian Brushes as an example, that wasn't actually used by the scammer - but we generally try to refrain from making "I'm planning to sell xxx" type posts or messages.

An individual sent PM messages to dozens of people saying someone he knew had the high end item they were looking for, and provided "his friends" email address.
In every case, the tense of the message was awkward, as he had copied the name of the item exactly, and pasted it into his offer because he didn't know what the item was.
Gross example:
WTB: RR GC 68 SB/84 SB

"Hi, my friend has a RR GC 68 SB/84 SB in good condition".
Not realizing the OP was asking for either/or.
Or
WTB: Manchurian Brushes

"Hi, my friend has a Manchurian Brushes in good condition".
Mixing single and plurals.

Thank you for clarifying :)

A message from "The Vehicle Service Department"

I just used the Razor type and Manchurian Brushes as an example, that wasn't actually used by the scammer - but we generally try to refrain from making "I'm planning to sell xxx" type posts or messages.
I will refrain from doing so in the future. I would never scam anyone, let alone the members on this forum, besides having great friends on this site, this site serves as a haven of like minded people.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I will refrain from doing so in the future. I would never scam anyone, let alone the members on this forum, besides having great friends on this site, this site serves as a haven of like minded people.
Of course not, no intent to give that impression at all.
I love this place too, we all do, and what we do here is out of love for B&B!

Top Bottom