What's new

More smooth and efficiency than a 34c razor?

Hi wet shaving friends,

last two years I shave with the 34C Merkur razor, I shave every 3 days and have hard stubble, but sensitive skin (neck).
So shave prep is always use a baby oil in the face, than shower, than wash off baby oil with hot water, after the shave dry my body, setup Proraso blue shave cream in the face, wait 2 minutes and then begin with the shave. I use the Astra blades (green package).

But always the shave is scratchy, not smooth as butter, I always be sure the blade is centered align in the razor. All blades, Derby, 7 o'clock, Lada, Rapira, Gilette bleue, all blades are scratchy and shave with them is very painful.

I can shave good with Astra blades, Polsilver and Perma Sharp but my shaves are always little bit scratchy not smooth as butter.
But I must always use good shave cream/shave soap, like Proraso blue, Palmolive stick, Proraso red, example; Proraso white and green not soft enough my stubble so the shave will be scratchy.

So I have tried a NTS butterfly razor (from parker) the black model, with this razor I always get smooth shaves they not scratchy, what a difference!
nts-butterfly.jpg

But for my hard 3 day stubble, this NTS butterfly razor is not efficient enough, I shave WTG and little bit XTG (2 passes) but need good 30 minutes to shave my face with this razor.......
also with shower prep and shave= is good 45-50 minutes that is too long.

So I plan to buy a new razor who shave smooth as butter but more efficiency.

There are my questions to you, perhaps someone can help me here;

15c razor more smooth and better as the 34c?
Should I buy 37c- is it smooth or scratchy?
Or use another Parker razor who is more efficient than the black NTS butterfly razor- but which Parker model I should use?

Or buy an Merkur Progress?

What do you think?

marcopolo

The 34c is actually a pretty good razor, I had one for a while. I didn’t have any scratch issues with mine. There was a little blade feel, but I didn’t not like it. It gave me good shaves.

It could be that what technique you have now simply jived with the TTO better. I’d hate to say that after 2 years you didn’t have the right angle down, but I guess that’s possible too.

I suspect that your hard stubble, combined with the large clamp distance of your Merkur 34C, isn't helping (blade chatter, etc).
So I have tried a NTS butterfly razor (from parker) the black model, with this razor I always get smooth shaves they not scratchy, what a difference!
:thumbup1: Your TTO razor clamps the blade much more rigidly than the 34C ever could.
The 15C clamps the blade really well (negligible clamp distance). So even though it's a reputedly "mild" razor it would be far more efficient than your 34C (for you, IMO).
I'm not familiar with the 37C. Being a slant, the blade will obviously be held more "rigidly," but it looks to me like it still has too much clamp distance (allowing for a little blade flop and chatter) for your purposes.
What do you think?
Get a Fatip Piccolo!
upload_2018-3-14_1-57-36.png
:001_wub:

Obviously the above opinions are mine and YMMV.

upload_2018-3-14_2-3-10.png :letterk1: :laugh:

I have found that if I slide the blade against a wine cork at a 90 degree angle to the cork it greatly reduces the feeling of a rough blade. Do not press it too hard, simply move the blade into the cork with little pressure. I use this process with every new blade. I suspect it slightly dulls the blade but the feeling is so smooth that it is worth the trade off. I believe that good shaving occurs with more than one pass, with little to no pressure, and in different directions. A sharp blade that is lightly corked gives you confidence to do multiple passes. Give it a try...

I don't have any of your rasors, but I think this Rockwell 5c could be an option as it has 6 plates for under 50 usd.

I found the 34C to be an excellent razor in the 'mild-to-moderate' range, especially when paired with a sharp blade.

So you might revisit your blade choice. I would try some Feathers, Kai, GSB, Nacets, etc. You could also try mapping your beard and work to assure that your technique is optimal. Ideally, you will be able to shave a bit more frequently.

If those suggestions do not help, then I would try the 37C next. Best of luck!

My only two razors are the 34c and 37c. My guess is that the blade isn't the problem. It's just a guess, but you've tried a number of quality blades. Try a shallow angle with the 34c ("ride the cap" so the blade is closer to parallel with your skin). That how the 34c works best in my opinion in terms of both smoothness and efficiency.

If you're still not happy after trying different angles, you should try a more aggressive razor. The 37c is more aggressive and I find that it is particularly good after a few days growth. Slants are generally considered to be good for that. I do feel the blade more on that razor and find that I'm more at risk of irritation when shaving ATG on a third pass -- I'm not sure if that would fall under your scratchy category.

I would also consider an adjustable and take the recommendation above about clamp distance / blade rigidity.

Hi people,

@clsmith123; do you have a picture to see that how cork a blade in 90 degree angle? my experience with corking is that he blade is more dull, little bit smooth -yes, but not sharp...

@Try em all: what is shimming?

@Cal: the 15c or Fatip Piccolo will shave smoother than my 34c Merkur?

@BigJ: I not have heard of Kai blades.....?

best wishes
marcopolo

Hi wet shaving friends,

last two years I shave with the 34C Merkur razor, I shave every 3 days and have hard stubble, but sensitive skin (neck).
So shave prep is always use a baby oil in the face, than shower, than wash off baby oil with hot water, after the shave dry my body, setup Proraso blue shave cream in the face, wait 2 minutes and then begin with the shave. I use the Astra blades (green package).

But always the shave is scratchy, not smooth as butter, I always be sure the blade is centered align in the razor. All blades, Derby, 7 o'clock, Lada, Rapira, Gilette bleue, all blades are scratchy and shave with them is very painful.

I can shave good with Astra blades, Polsilver and Perma Sharp but my shaves are always little bit scratchy not smooth as butter.
But I must always use good shave cream/shave soap, like Proraso blue, Palmolive stick, Proraso red, example; Proraso white and green not soft enough my stubble so the shave will be scratchy.

So I have tried a NTS butterfly razor (from parker) the black model, with this razor I always get smooth shaves they not scratchy, what a difference! View attachment 867170

But for my hard 3 day stubble, this NTS butterfly razor is not efficient enough, I shave WTG and little bit XTG (2 passes) but need good 30 minutes to shave my face with this razor.......
also with shower prep and shave= is good 45-50 minutes that is too long.

So I plan to buy a new razor who shave smooth as butter but more efficiency.

There are my questions to you, perhaps someone can help me here;

Or use another Parker razor who is more efficient than the black NTS butterfly razor- but which Parker model I should use?

What do you think?

marcopolo
You can never go wrong with a Progress. Buy that, if only as a reference point, against which all others can be compared. The adjustability adds a new dimension that I wish I had thought about before I started buying slants and SE's.

A Rockwell 6C with zero moving parts and 6 available levels of aggression should be a good option to consider. At 50$ you can't go wrong and is one of the smoothest razors around. In effect you buy 6 razors of increasing aggression for the price of one.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Note:

with smooth shave- I mean a shave who like hot knife cut butter...
in moment the shaves with astra blade or others are not so smooth as that.

Yes the NTS butterfly razor is smoother than my 34c, but not always so smooth as cut butter....

I think I will try feather blade first before buy a new razor. But feather in 34c is too much aggressive for my sensitive neck.

@Cal: the 15c shave smoother (cuts like butter) as the 34c???

best wishes
marcopolo

I too shaved with the 34C for years and I too found it not smooth on my sensitive skin. The Feather AS-D2 with a feather blade worked well for me but is fairly expensive. I've now switched to SE razors (AC style blades) and won't be going back.

Would definitely recommend the Razorock Hawk V2 (or black hawk) and the Colonial General. I preferred the hawk on a heavier stainless handle over the stock handle. With a stainless handle it's approximately tied with the General for me, though the Hawk is a little gentler for me. But either gives me irritation free shaves 90+% of the time.

A shim is a razor blade with the sharp edges cut off. Shims can be used to make a razor more agressive or less aggressive. They also increase the rigidity of the blade, which reduces blade chatter.
Shims can be made from used DE blades.
I suggest you try two shims below, & one above your razor blade in your Merkur.
Others have found good results with that combination.

Effects of Shims, Reverse Shims, and Tape Strips on Safety Razor Geometry | Badger & Blade

Modifying Safety Razors

Modifying Safety Razor Aggressiveness & Efficiency with Blade, Shims, Reverse Shims, and Tape Strips

Last edited:
Hi people,

@clsmith123; do you have a picture to see that how cork a blade in 90 degree angle? my experience with corking is that he blade is more dull, little bit smooth -yes, but not sharp...

best wishes
marcopolo

There are a number of Kai threads, for example, Kai DE razor blades - what is your experience / which blade is comparable. Worth a try IMO.

Hi people,

best wishes
marcopolo
Marcopolo
I do not have a picture of corking the blade. I believe it does slightly dull the blade. I like to use a sharp blade like a Feather and very gently slide the blade on a wine cork about 2 times at a slight angle and flip the blade around. I use very little pressure. Personally, I use more than one pass so I am more concerned about a smooth and irritation free pass. If you do not use pressure on the cork it will only dull the blade slightly. I have thrown away many blades after one stoke because of a very harsh feeling, but after corking my blades I never feel that harshness.

The Fatip Piccolo definitely, I have no experience with the 15C.
@Cal: the 15c shave smoother (cuts like butter) as the 34c???
I would say so, but that's only due to it holding the blade rigidly. I have no personal experience with the 15C.
Right on @Try em all. :thumbup1:

That would indeed be the first (and cheapest) thing to do, to check out whether a more rigid blade sorts your problem out.

Make sure your shim is wide (not narrow) and placed between your blade and the baseplate.

Here's a pic of a suitable one at 20mm wide (1mm trimmed off each cutting edge):
upload_2018-3-15_2-58-48.png

I draw pencil lines parallel to, and 1mm off, the edge... then cut them with snips (but normal scissors are fine).

CAUTION:
If you do this, make sure that you wear eye protection. Do it in an open space so you can easily see where the incredibly sharp shards have jumped to, for safe disposal.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

What do you think?

Get a Fatip Piccolo!

What Cal said.

I have sensitive skin and coarse dense growth. My skin cant take sustained daily shaving.

My favorite razor is my Fatip Grande. My favorite shave is buffing first pass directly ATG at around 48 hours growth. S shave like that I have a BBS finish is 1 1/2 passes. The extra half pass is on my neck where I have swirl growth patterns and need to go over them again in the opposite direction.

I also dont personally get along with blade gap. It can cause me irritation, even with a rigid design such as my Gillette NEW SC if used for more than 3 passes. With the right blade, it gives me the same BBS finish as my Grande, but needs 2 1/2 passes. Its a little less efficient due to design geometry differences, namely guard span distance and less blade exposure because of the longer guard span distance it has over the Grande.

NEW SC left, Fatip Grande right. Notice the distance between the edge of the cap and the furthest point of the comb. Thats the guard span distance.

NEWSC.JPG IMG_2182.JPG

Also notice how the base plate supports the blade even slightly beyond the edge of the cap and does so for the entire width of the blade.

The NEW SC only has a modest .023" blade gap, the Fatip virtually none.

IMG_2114.jpg IMG_2111.jpg

Both are very smooth razors in use. The Fatip is more efficient. Neither, is 'aggressive', but either could be used aggressively.

In use with a Gillette Yellow blade, shaving directly ATG first pass at 48 hours, using a shallow angle I never feel the blade at all at any point during the shave and only hear it cutting very little. Literally its like an air hockey puck with the shallow angle I use.

I've used that razor for virtually every shave since I got it last September and can count on one had the times I had irritation when using a blade I get along with and the only times I had even slight irritation, if my own fault for not keeping the proper angle.

Fatips are user friendly, assuming you know how to use a DE razor. You just need to find the right angle for you. It is in there.

They are not aggressive, but they can be unforgiving of simple mistakes we've all made. Make them and you'll get irritated and/or bleed. Hone your technique and learn them however and I cant honestly say I've used a nicer razor or had a more comfortable, quick and easy shave with any other razor I have used.

Too the scratchy feeling. I have noticed with my NEW SC that if I over tighten the handle and look at the edge against reflected light, it can develop a wave or ripple along the edge. I've only felt that once and when I found out why I just dont tighten the handle as much. Its still tight enough, just not too tight.

You might load a blade in yours and hold the edge up to a light and look at the reflection. If you see a wavy or rippled edge, thats likely why.

Top Bottom