What's new

More Pu-erh questions

So the equipment and samples all arrived (I'll leave the pictures of that to the acquisitions thread). Thanks JAS-eTea! I'm afraid I have more questions now though...

For my first attempt, I started with a sample of 2008 Xiaguan FT Baoyan Mushroom Tuo Raw tea, about 6g in my 125ml gaiwan. I did a quick rinse of about 10 seconds, and have tasted three infusions so far at 10, 15, and 15. So far, I'm really only getting earthy and bitter flavors. My water temperature was just a guess, as I really didn't know where to start. My kettle has a 200 F setting so I went with that - too hot? Also, I did feel like I had some problems flaking off the tea. It seemed very brittle (and I'm using a pick I bought w/all this tea and equipment) so it was hard to get big pieces.

Finally, there's pouring from a gaiwan. How on earth to you get THAT to work without making a mess? I'm really happy with myself for that tea table purchase now...

Josh, I'm a noob at this as well, but there are a few good youtube videos on using a gaiwan that you might find helpful. That being said, I went ahead and bought the "easy" gaiwan with the spout LOL!
As for the tea taste, well it was a raw ("sheng") pu so maybe it just needs a few more years of aging? As I understand it, the sweetness in recent vintage pu's is not evident unless one is drinking a "ripe" or "cooked" variety (Chinese: "shu") which are, in essence, artificially aged via a fermentation process.
Hope this helps.
Good luck in your tea journey of discovery!
-Fritz

So the equipment and samples all arrived (I'll leave the pictures of that to the acquisitions thread). Thanks JAS-eTea! I'm afraid I have more questions now though...

For my first attempt, I started with a sample of 2008 Xiaguan FT Baoyan Mushroom Tuo Raw tea, about 6g in my 125ml gaiwan. I did a quick rinse of about 10 seconds, and have tasted three infusions so far at 10, 15, and 15. So far, I'm really only getting earthy and bitter flavors. My water temperature was just a guess, as I really didn't know where to start. My kettle has a 200 F setting so I went with that - too hot? Also, I did feel like I had some problems flaking off the tea. It seemed very brittle (and I'm using a pick I bought w/all this tea and equipment) so it was hard to get big pieces.

Finally, there's pouring from a gaiwan. How on earth to you get THAT to work without making a mess? I'm really happy with myself for that tea table purchase now...

That tea is quite strong to begin with. The more you tear up the leaves into smaller particles the stronger it will be. No doubt it takes some skill to get off larger pieces. To get acquainted with this tea I would use 4g and do flash (instant) brews for the first 4 or so. Your water temp should be fine. You can make adjustments from there.

Here is how you hold a gaiwan:

http://anotherteablog.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-hold-gaiwan-like-pro.html

Last edited:
That tea is quite strong to begin with. The more you tear up the leaves into smaller particles the stronger it will be. No doubt it takes some skill to get off larger pieces. To get acquainted with this tea I would use 4g and do flash (instant) brews for the first 4 or so. Your water temp should be fine. You can make adjustments from there.

Here is how you hold a gaiwan:

http://anotherteablog.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-hold-gaiwan-like-pro.html

I'm finding I like it, actually - it was something of a shock, but it grew on me quickly. I'm through 6 infusions (up to 30 seconds) and the last one seemed week and slightly astringent. I might be near the end of these leaves. I'll do another one just to taste it and see what happens. Maybe a whole minute.

Oh, and the gaiwan thing. I found that if I don't try to be all ginger with it and just pour a little more quickly, it goes better for me. I hold it differently, though (thumb and middle finger on opposite sides of the lip, index on the lid, leave the saucer behind).

Last edited:
I'm finding I like it, actually - it was something of a shock, but it grew on me quickly.

I think that sums it up really... if you are used to tazo tea bags, etc... it is going to be a different experience. Once you get used to it though, you will be craving it. At least that is how it was for me.

Well I honestly didn't know what to expect - it's actually reminding me of learning to shave with a brush and a DE at first. It's awkward and perhaps even a bit painful but strangely addicting, even though you're doing it entirely wrong in the beginning.

Top Bottom