What's new

More profitable by the dozen

Well, I think I've seen everything now.

I ordered some 7 O'clock Blacks from a vendor in India on the Bay. But the quantity seemed a little odd. Instead of the usual 20 tucks on a retail card it was listed as only 12 tucks.

Price was right, so I didn't care if they were loose.

Lo and behold, when I opened the package tonight it's a whole retail card with only 12 tucks on it.

$twelve_tucks.jpg

In the same way that bleach is now sold in 3 quart packages rather than gallons, you pack 60% of the product and charge 65% of the price, and voila, instant margin increase.

I know, I know. It's a capitalist world, and I already said it was the best price I found. And the seller absolutely *DID NOT* misrepresent the product. I got exactly the number of blades in the listing, and he shipped it PDQ too. So he got positive feedback. And nobody made me buy them (and my wife would prefer I didn't).

It just makes me feel like we're being played for rubes, and I want to complain to someone. And nobody at work cares one whit about the price of razor blades.

EDIT: And to top it off the picture is upside down. Wasn't upside down on my iPad.

Last edited:
Well, the packaging is supplied by the dozen from P&G.

I'm not sure how ingrained the old Imperial system is in the Indian market. I know most of the engineers and programmers I have ever worked with from India are pretty hooked in to decimal and SI.

I'm not sure how ingrained the old Imperial system is in the Indian market. I know most of the engineers and programmers I have ever worked with from India are pretty hooked in to decimal and SI.

I'm quite comfortable working in either metric or imperial units, but I still tend to think in imperial; a lot of folk in the UK still do, and I guess Indian people are no less conservative.

So you think P&G packages them in a dozen pack for old people?

I think P&G might exploit the fact that a dozen is a reasonably well know quantity, but I'm sure the repackage decision was based on money.

You did real well. Think of all those people who are buying cartridge razors for a ridiculous price.

I started retro shaving four years ago and one of the first things I noticed is that they now keep the Fusions, Mach IIIs, etc. in theft proof cases because they've become so expensive!

So you think P&G packages them in a dozen pack for old people?

I'm not sure P&G has anything to do with the decision. My understanding is that these blades are made in India by another firm which bought the production rights for that market from P&G. Whoever does produce them might just be sticking with the way things have always been done -- or they might have spotted a way to make a higher margin, who knows.

Was wondering that the lady on the packaging looked Indian. These are hard to get in the shops these days. Most have moved to cartridges...!

Top Bottom