What's new

More pressure, how can that be?

I've been wringing out a Red Tip and a '40's SS lately trying to decide which I like best. There isn't a great deal of difference, frankly, but I was on my '40's SS.

Well, I went to shave somewhat pressed for time, which makes me highly motivated (read- no nonsense, no subtlety), and I ended up using considerably more pressure than is usually recommended. Instead of getting some razor burn (which is about what I was expecting) I ended up getting a BBS shave with no irritation.

How did that happen?

What kind of soap were you using? Sounds like your lather compensated for your bad technique. MWF has been known to help me out during the rushed morning shaves.

May depend on where the pressure was applied. If at the blade I'm surprised. If the pressure was more toward the middle of the head where the head applied the pressure and the blade was permitted to get more of the hair without the pressure, that could explain it.

May depend on where the pressure was applied. If at the blade I'm surprised. If the pressure was more toward the middle of the head where the head applied the pressure and the blade was permitted to get more of the hair without the pressure, that could explain it.
+1. If you get the razor at a certain angle, adding more pressure probably just makes the shave more efficient. Because you weren't thinking, your muscle memory maintained a good angle for you.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Weeeeeellllll. Actually, someone around here posted about six months ago that he discovered more pressure was better. It was about six months ago. He suggested that medium pressure was where all the problems lie, nicks and burn. Light pressure worked, but then, supposedly, he discovered that HARD pressure also worked.

I am not suggesting this, just saying this was posted about 6 months ago or so. Maybe someone can search it up.

Anyway, he figured if enough pressure was used, the guard would pull the skin ahead of the blade and with the proper angle the blade would wisk the whiskers (aren't I clever?) right off in one pass with no razor burn. He swore he was getting BBS comfortable shaves in one pass.

I don't know if he was joking or if he was onto something, but he was trying to get recruits to try it and I never saw it after that. Musta slipped into the nether regions of the forum pretty quick.

Anyway, I have no opinion one way or the other, and never tried it. But this reminded me that I saw it. Don't ask me any questions, I don't remember any more.

Weeeeeellllll. Actually, someone around here posted about six months ago that he discovered more pressure was better. It was about six months ago. He suggested that medium pressure was where all the problems lie, nicks and burn. Light pressure worked, but then, supposedly, he discovered that HARD pressure also worked.

I am not suggesting this, just saying this was posted about 6 months ago or so. Maybe someone can search it up.

Anyway, he figured if enough pressure was used, the guard would pull the skin ahead of the blade and with the proper angle the blade would wisk the whiskers (aren't I clever?) right off in one pass with no razor burn. He swore he was getting BBS comfortable shaves in one pass.

I don't know if he was joking or if he was onto something, but he was trying to get recruits to try it and I never saw it after that. Musta slipped into the nether regions of the forum pretty quick.

Anyway, I have no opinion one way or the other, and never tried it. But this reminded me that I saw it. Don't ask me any questions, I don't remember any more.

Or the thread died out with those who tried. Sometimes the most obvious answers....

I've been wringing out a Red Tip and a '40's SS lately trying to decide which I like best. There isn't a great deal of difference, frankly, but I was on my '40's SS.

Well, I went to shave somewhat pressed for time, which makes me highly motivated (read- no nonsense, no subtlety), and I ended up using considerably more pressure than is usually recommended. Instead of getting some razor burn (which is about what I was expecting) I ended up getting a BBS shave with no irritation.

How did that happen?

You were using a 40's SS rather than an R-41! Like others have advised, if you keep trying it, you may not be so fortunate!

I decided to take the bullet and try it again on purpose.

So same setup, '40's SS, Provence Sante (used like a shave stick), and a Wilkinson blade I get started.

Prep is my standard shower, shampooing my beard with shampoo/conditioner.

This time I am VERY conscious of the blade angle but jack up the pressure into "unacceptable" range.

BBS again, with the very mildest of razor burn coming around a curve in one spot.

I don't know what to say about that.

Possible reasons-

My skin has adjusted to having a close blade run across it.
or
Pressure combined with poor blade angle issues causes problems. (would explain the one spot of razor burn, if my angle got off in that spot)

Anyway, it is not recommended. Kind of like exceeding the speed limit, you do so at your peril.

I dont recommend it, but if your face is really hydrated and moisturized it can withstand a fair amount of pressure as it has become pliable.

I remember that post. He said he thought it had something to to do with how the razor pushed up a ridge in front of the blade or something (IIRC). I found it interesting but never tried it. Just wanted you to know you weren't the only one who saw it!

[snip]
Pressure combined with poor blade angle issues causes problems. (would explain the one spot of razor burn, if my angle got off in that spot)

OR, pressure combined with an INCORRECT blade angle compensated for the poor angle, moving the skin to the proper angle against the blade, resulting in the BBS shave.

As an example, the Feather AS can give a decent, close shave at a "tech" angle, but move that handle WAY up and put a LOT more cap against the face, and you will get twice as close of shave with zero irritation and less passes.

I used to hate using my Old Type razor, because when I used it, there was just no way to do a 2nd shave that evening with something like my Futur, or Fat Boy, because there was not enough growth to shave. If I used the Futur or Fat Boy, I could do a 2nd shave that evening, then again the next morning, because it wasn't getting as close as the OT would get me.

After finding the right angle with the Feather, I'm back to the same situation with the Feather as I was with the OT - too close to be able to do a 2nd shave in a 24 hour period.

As fearsome as the R41's reputation is, I won't take it lightly, so I won't be trying any shaving experiments with it anytime soon.

OR, pressure combined with an INCORRECT blade angle compensated for the poor angle, moving the skin to the proper angle against the blade, resulting in the BBS shave.

I don't see how this can be the case, I literally hold the razor in front of my face to visually line up the silo door, blade and guard bar then move that to my face to set the angle. But I can try a 1/2 and 1/2 shave, one side giving a different angle that the other as you say. This will quickly tell the tale.

My shave was so good yesterday that I am about at the level I would be following a fresh shave with a Cartridge. I could shave just to go through the motions, but not needed.

Top Bottom