What's new

More pipes or more blends

Hi guys i have like 40$ to spend at the moment.i have 2 pipes currently and like 5 tobaccos. So my question is do i get more tobacco or the 7 pipe grab bag of corn cob pipes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That’s a really hard one that I grapple with a lot.

With today’s climate regarding tobacco use I would spend it all on tobacco. The theory is there will always be pipes to buy, but who knows how long that blend you like will be around?

Yes, same answer. Two pipes will allow rotation. If its a question of constrained resources , put the $ in tobacco.

Well if one is to be practical, the question is. How often do you smoke? If the answer is, I smoke 4 or 5 bowls a day or more, than maybe you should get at least another pipe or two. If less than you could enjoy getting some more tobacco to explore. That's the theory but I rarely smoke more than 3 bowls a day and have like 25 pipes give or take and many kilos of tobacco so I am not following any rule and enjoy wherever this hobby takes me. Many folks here would see my pipe and tobacco collection as rather modest so you may do what pleases you in the end. There is no wrong answer just do what you enjoy.

Well if one is to be practical, the question is. How often do you smoke? If the answer is, I smoke 4 or 5 bowls a day or more, than maybe you should get at least another pipe or two. If less than you could enjoy getting some more tobacco to explore. That's the theory but I rarely smoke more than 3 bowls a day and have like 25 pipes give or take and many kilos of tobacco so I am not following any rule and enjoy wherever this hobby takes me. Many folks here would see my pipe and tobacco collection as rather modest so you may do what pleases you in the end. There is no wrong answer just do what you enjoy.
Concur! The added bonus of getting tobacco and only smoking a bowl or two a day is that the tobacco will have a chance to age nicely.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

I will have to wait until retirement to smoke 5 bowls a day!

I will have to wait until retirement to smoke 5 bowls a day!
I too aspire to achieve five bowls a day. I want to get to the level of Jim Amash (JIMINKS from Pipe Magazine forums and Tobacco Reviews fame). He smokes his pipes all day every day. The joys of working from home as a comic book artist.

I keep it to 3, my blend with coffee in the morning, something at lunch and dinner. 80 today in central fl.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Since you only have $40 to spend, it probably doesn't matter right now, BUT, going forward, invest in more tobacco as blends are disappearing at an alarming rate and will NEVER be cheaper than they are right now. Buy (tobacco) early and often!

I went with one cob pipe. And a few 1oz bulk orders to try. I still think i will pick up the 7 pipe cob set when i can though.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Good choice. A cob is all you really need. Sure, it's nice having different pipes from different materials and makers, but getting a cob, and trying out a variety of blends was a smart move. :thumbup1:

Tobacco +1. Although I’ve got plenty of pipes. Adding a cob to your rotation is an inexpensive but good smoking choice. If you feel the need for another pipe.

Pipes and cigars has Sutliff 1 pound bags for $27.

I don’t smoke a lot but I’ve been picking up tubs and pound bags when there’s a deal. I got a $10 coupon on the last two deals. When something is on sale that $10 off is nice. I got a pound of 1Q for $12! Sometimes it pays to be patient and watch for deals. I’ve got about 3 pounds stored up and didn’t spend much on it.

I havebeen looking at the 1lb deal myself.but havent really figured out what tobaccos i like the best so havent wanted to get a lb and have it be something i dont like.

Top Bottom