What's new

More ore less Newbie

Hi, as a newbie to the forum I would l8ke to introduce myself.
My name is Danny, 42 yrs old and I’m from the east of the Netherlands.

Aftera desastrous experiment with a Double Edge razor five or six years ago (p.o.s. chinese razor). And after reading a couple of forums and watching dozens of YouTube videos, I decided to try wetshaving with a Safety Razor again.

I had allready switched to shaving soap and brush months ago, which helped my shaving a lot.
After watching a lot of razor reviews I decided to go with the Edwin Jagger DE89 with the knurled handle.

I have had my first couple of shaves with the DE, and all I can say is NO MORE CARTRIDGE RAZORS EVER AGAIN! (Sorry for “shouting”...).

My first shave was allready better than my last with the Gillette Fusion “Pro”-glide.

I used Derby Extra’s for my first 3-pass shave.
Less nicks than with the Gillette, and almost no irritation!

I’m going through a sample pack I bought online.
I have tried Derby Extra’s, Gillette 7 o’clock yellow’s and Astra SP’s in the past two weeks.
Trying a different blade every week, three shaves per week.

Today I tried the Astra’s for the first time, what a difference!!

Very close shave, only three small nicks (still learning to shave with a DE), and no irritation at all!

I’m acually going to enjoy shaving, I think.....

Welcome to the forum! You are using the same razor I started with in March and it is a great razor to learn with. Try different blades and see what works best for you. Many will say with a mild razor like the DE89 sharp blades are best and I can vouch for that. You can learn a lot from these forums!

Allready learned a lot, only joined today.
I still have several blades in my sampler pack going to try them all.

Welcome! Glad you found us & joined. The Edwin Jagger is very good razor, & good plan of trying the blade sampler. Enjoy!

I’m going through a sample pack I bought online.
I have tried Derby Extra’s, Gillette 7 o’clock yellow’s and Astra SP’s in the past two weeks.
Trying a different blade every week, three shaves per week.

Today I tried the Astra’s for the first time, what a difference!!
Getting a blade sampler was a good move.
Astra SP's are my favourite, for performance and price.
Very close shave, only three small nicks (still learning to shave with a DE)...
In the meantime a styptic pencil is your best friend for stopping the bleeding.
They are rather fragile, so maybe get a Jumbo version.
proxy.php

Top Bottom