What's new

More new Czech Platinum blades (Tatra Platinum)

Ok anyone have deets on Super Max blades? Either Super Stainless or Diamond Edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I’m going to be contrary. Derby for the win. Smooth and still cutting on the fourth shave. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you think about it the fourth shave wouldn’t actually be that much if both are going at it at the same time on the same face. I might have to make it a five round fight.

I've got several vintage blades that I've been tempted to try. I wonder if stropping them in a TwinPlex might help bring them back after decades of storage. Haven't tried, but has me thinking.
Definitely couldn't hurt, assuming they're not rusty once you open the wrapper.

I’ve always wanted to try any carbon blade but I’ve never purchased any. I’ve never heard anything good about carbon blades.
Curiosity got the better of me, and I ordered some Tiger carbon steel blades last week. The seller sent me the three-hole blades instead of the modern slotted blades, so I ended up testing one blade in my Weber polished head razor.

I noticed that these blades are uncoated but blued, and they are thick compared to stainless blades.

My first shave produced a lot of tugging and pulling, but I ended up with a smooth shave on my cheeks, jaw, and neck with ZERO IRRITATION or redness or razor burn after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. I had some slight stubble remaining on my chin and mustache area, but it was acceptable. Shaves two and three were the same. After shave three, I retired the blade, but I could have gotten more shaves from it.

Rust? Very little, even after sitting in the razor for five days. The small amount of rust on the blade appeared to be limited to the area where it made contact with the razor head, and it didn't affect the edge at all.

In conclusion, this blade felt a lot like my straight razors to me (which are also uncoated carbon steel), producing similar results and problems: smooth, close shaves everywhere except for mustache and chin, and absolutely no irritation or razor burn afterwards. I am glad that I bought these blades that are a throwback to the pre-1960s era of PTFE and similar coatings, and I will reach for one the next time my face is irritated, windburned, etc.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I ordered some Tiger carbon steel blades last week. The seller sent me the three-hole blades instead of the modern slotted blades, so I ended up testing one blade in my Weber polished head razor.

I noticed that these blades are uncoated but blued, and they are thick compared to stainless blades.

My first shave produced a lot of tugging and pulling, but I ended up with a smooth shave on my cheeks, jaw, and neck with ZERO IRRITATION or redness or razor burn after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. I had some slight stubble remaining on my chin and mustache area, but it was acceptable. Shaves two and three were the same. After shave three, I retired the blade, but I could have gotten more shaves from it.

Rust? Very little, even after sitting in the razor for five days. The small amount of rust on the blade appeared to be limited to the area where it made contact with the razor head, and it didn't affect the edge at all.

In conclusion, this blade felt a lot like my straight razors to me (which are also uncoated carbon steel), producing similar results and problems: smooth, close shaves everywhere except for mustache and chin, and absolutely no irritation or razor burn afterwards. I am glad that I bought these blades that are a throwback to the pre-1960s era of PTFE and similar coatings, and I will reach for one the next time my face is irritated, windburned, etc.
Hum. I guess I’ll hold off for now on carbon blades. Thanks
Curiosity will get the better of me before long thou.

I've got several vintage blades that I've been tempted to try. I wonder if stropping them in a TwinPlex might help bring them back after decades of storage. Haven't tried, but has me thinking.

I used my twinplex on a vintage Gillette three hole razor blade for the 20s. The blade came out sharp, like new. Haven't shaved with it yet.

Surprising that you were able to get a decent shave - as I understand it, these are industrial blades not intended for shaving.

Surprising that you were able to get a decent shave - as I understand it, these are industrial blades not intended for shaving.
Yes, I had also read that somewhere (probably here on B&B). Don't get me wrong - it was a decent shave but took a lot of work. After I posted this, I tried a Treet DuraSharp coated carbon steel blade, which was 1000 percent better in terms of efficiency.

Yes, I had also read that somewhere (probably here on B&B). Don't get me wrong - it was a decent shave but took a lot of work. After I posted this, I tried a Treet DuraSharp coated carbon steel blade, which was 1000 percent better in terms of efficiency.
I shaved with a Tatra and got a great shave....as good as an Astra or better.You might gotten some counterfeits.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

C7D23410-6138-4355-BAD0-E1A56DE050D0.jpeg

Attachments

• B547F332-56C0-497A-A372-E1B10485DF09.jpeg
    B547F332-56C0-497A-A372-E1B10485DF09.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 493844CB-D581-4CAB-AD82-023255FFC032.jpeg
    493844CB-D581-4CAB-AD82-023255FFC032.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 68C8690C-3791-464C-9E6B-FBE3AC21EF46.jpeg
    68C8690C-3791-464C-9E6B-FBE3AC21EF46.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • 707C646A-6220-4809-8528-0B0BB442D035.jpeg
    707C646A-6220-4809-8528-0B0BB442D035.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
  • D9EFB9A1-FB6B-4115-ACC9-CCBD60155D07.jpeg
    D9EFB9A1-FB6B-4115-ACC9-CCBD60155D07.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Back when this thread started, I bought a hundred pack of each... Tiger and Tatra. Why not... under ten bucks each. When they arrived, I threw a Tatra into a razor and gave it a shot. First pass was dreadful. Tugging and pulling the whole way. On the second pass, I took two swipes and it was just as bad. Ditched the blade immediately and put in something tried and true. I shelved both brands and forgot about them for a while. Well, I decided today to give a Tiger blade a shot. I recently acquired a new Charcoal Goods Level 2, and have been testing various blades. This razor seems to be very sensitive to blade choice. So why not give the Tiger a try? Well, it was a most excellent shave! Nice and smooth. Reasonably close. Unfortunately I don’t recall what razor I used to test the Tatra a few months back. But you can bet I’m gonna toss one in something and give it another try! Are the Tatra and Tiger really the same? I’m not so sure. So more testing is ahead...

Back when this thread started, I bought a hundred pack of each... Tiger and Tatra. Why not... under ten bucks each. When they arrived, I threw a Tatra into a razor and gave it a shot. First pass was dreadful. Tugging and pulling the whole way. On the second pass, I took two swipes and it was just as bad. Ditched the blade immediately and put in something tried and true. I shelved both brands and forgot about them for a while. Well, I decided today to give a Tiger blade a shot. I recently acquired a new Charcoal Goods Level 2, and have been testing various blades. This razor seems to be very sensitive to blade choice. So why not give the Tiger a try? Well, it was a most excellent shave! Nice and smooth. Reasonably close. Unfortunately I don’t recall what razor I used to test the Tatra a few months back. But you can bet I’m gonna toss one in something and give it another try! Are the Tatra and Tiger really the same? I’m not so sure. So more testing is ahead...
Tatra and Tiger are the same blade different packaging.I spoke to a European supply company and asked him about them.He said they were identical just packaged differently.They are coming out with a stainless steel blade soon.Thats something I would be interested in as I like SSblades better than platinums.

Tatra and Tiger are the same blade different packaging.I spoke to a European supply company and asked him about them.He said they were identical just packaged differently.They are coming out with a stainless steel blade soon.Thats something I would be interested in as I like SSblades better than platinums.

Well looks like we got cinfirmation. Nice research @Juijitsu2010. So whether we got the Tatras or the Tigers, I got the Tatras, I think we should just refer to them as TATERS.

Sorry I couldn’t resisit! 😆

Top Bottom