What's new

More Merkur Pics

I've trotted out the stable for pics. I'll have some intimate closeups of the slantbar tomorrow to scare the kiddies on Halloween.

full
L to R:
  • Classic Longhandle
  • Slant Bar
  • Progress
  • Futur
  • Vision 2000
Here's how they measure up:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
rschul2 said:
Ron,
That's a nice collection. I've been thinking about the Vision for a while...maybe for Christmas.
G'morning Randy,
Thank you. One thing to consider prior to purchasing the Vision is the topography of your face. I really enjoy the Vision and get my longest lasting (to date) shaves while using it. The only problem I have with it is getting right under my nose. This is because of the size of the razor's head and the shape of the area under my nose, just above what you would call the moustache. I have "Mastered" a technique for it, but it is pains-takingly slow. On the other hand, I have this new Futur that seems to overcome that issue, thinner razor head, and perform (seemingly after 4 shaves) as well as the Vision. I have to continue to experiment and see how the Futur works out with blades other than the Feather I am using at present. One nice thing avout the Vision, I think you could put a chewing gum wrapper in for a blade and you would still get an acceptable shave. Perhaps there is some hyperbole there, but you get the drift.
At anyrate, the Vision would be a handsome Christmas present. Better pass some lucre to Santa and the elfs.. :smile:

I just bought a Vision from Rik. Once I get it and use it a bit, I will throw in my $0.02. So far all my Merkur experience is with a Progress. With my gorilla-like beard, it is very difficult to get close. Should be interesting to see how the Vision performs.

Scotto said:
I just bought a Vision from Rik. Once I get it and use it a bit, I will throw in my $0.02. So far all my Merkur experience is with a Progress. With my gorilla-like beard, it is very difficult to get close. Should be interesting to see how the Vision performs.
Scotto,
I'll pull a JL... Lightly you go! Let the mass of the razor do it for you. These two bits of advice are really more important with the Vision than with others. :o11:

guenron said:
Scotto,
I'll pull a JL...

Ahem! To whom could you be referring?

The vision is still my favorite razor. It's just the whole package, the size, the balance, the handling and the smoothness. But it's no longer the closest. That title was won by the Futur when I switched it to Feather blades. Those blades gave my Futur a new lease on life. Up to that point I was using it less and less, because it wasn't hat close a shaver and was harsh. Then, I started using the Feathers and the Futur came back into my rotation, right behind the Vision. It really became smooth.

Scotto, I hope you love it as much as I do.

Having looked at this "somewhat" closely, I wonder if I can buy a slant bar head to fit the handle of my HD Classic?

Randy

Ron, That gives me something to think about with the size of the head of the vision. Still though, it is a glorious looking piece of shaving equipment.

guenron said:
G'morning Randy,
Thank you. One thing to consider prior to purchasing the Vision is the topography of your face. I really enjoy the Vision and get my longest lasting (to date) shaves while using it. The only problem I have with it is getting right under my nose. This is because of the size of the razor's head and the shape of the area under my nose, just above what you would call the moustache. I have "Mastered" a technique for it, but it is pains-takingly slow. On the other hand, I have this new Futur that seems to overcome that issue, thinner razor head, and perform (seemingly after 4 shaves) as well as the Vision. I have to continue to experiment and see how the Futur works out with blades other than the Feather I am using at present. One nice thing avout the Vision, I think you could put a chewing gum wrapper in for a blade and you would still get an acceptable shave. Perhaps there is some hyperbole there, but you get the drift.
At anyrate, the Vision would be a handsome Christmas present. Better pass some lucre to Santa and the elfs.. :smile:

rschul2 said:
Ron, That gives me something to think about with the size of the head of the vision. Still though, it is a glorious looking piece of shaving equipment.
Hi Randy,
Don't get me wrong, it is a glorius piece of shaving equipment. The only caveat is as identified.. You can see that the head height of the Vision is somewhat greater than its nearest relative the Futur.

rtaylor61 said:
Having looked at this "somewhat" closely, I wonder if I can buy a slant bar head to fit the handle of my HD Classic?

Randy

I'm afraid not. I looked at both the slant and HD and it would be possible.

rtaylor61 said:

Randy
I think the handle is the same. I sold my HD, but I think the slant has the same heft. Then again, I wouldn’t ask anyone to rely on my memory anymore! :crazy:

As a newbie am still confusedly 'n droolingly undecided on an HD, 38C or VISION as 1st DE.

If VISION was thing that the solution to the "under nose" topographical problem maybe using the "backside" of my big orange FUSION for that spot...IF THAT "SPOT" actually turned out to be a problem with my actual facial configuration of Michelangelo'ly Davidian perfectly structured bone & gristle...

Ron,
And here I thought I was cool with my HC and 38C using the HC on weekends and the "sledgehammer" during the week, good collection indeed.
Happy Shaving.:cool:

John

Ron,
And here I thought I was cool with my HC and 38C using the HC on weekends and the "sledgehammer" during the week, good collection indeed.
Happy Shaving.:cool:

John

The quickest road to unhappiness is by comparing the size of your " collection" to his. As long as it gets the job done right, then it's the right size for you. :wink:

Marty

The quickest road to unhappiness is by comparing the size of your " collection" to his. As long as it gets the job done right, then it's the right size for you. :wink:

Marty

Marty,
No comparison, damn good collection, indeed, my razors do the job they have to each day.

John

Hi Randy,
Don't get me wrong, it is a glorius piece of shaving equipment. The only caveat is as identified.. You can see that the head height of the Vision is somewhat greater than its nearest relative the Futur.
Are you really sure? Look again. Lay them flat, push the tops of each against a wall, and note that the blade edges are exactly the same distance from the wall. Turn them up on end, push against the wall. Likewise. The extra size in the head of the Vision is below the blade; both the Vision and Futur have the same clearance above the blade. At least mine do; we know Merkur never makes two of them exactly alike!:biggrin:

Randy
The handles are the same on the HD and the Slant. The problem is that, being the so-called "2-piece" design, the bottom plate is semi-permanently fixed to the handle. And the head of the Slant is different from the head of the HD. So the only removable part that's actually common is the bottom knob.

Top Bottom