What's new

More information required on "The Major"

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got this today... I think the box is a mismatch as it doesn't close properly if I put the razors in.

One of them seems to be a travel razor (shorter handle - one ring) and the other one seems to be the main razor (longer handle - double ring).

The shorter handle doesn't have any inscriptions (I didn't find any) but has a bit of faded blue/green paint as I tried to capture. The head seems a bit smaller compared to the long handle razor.

The longer handle is made in England (no date codes) but I was suprised to see the alignment on the head is not symetrical...

Those two razors could be a set but I'm too unsure to call it so.

Any more information on those two razors?

Luc

Staff member
Nope, got them today, I might try one tomorrow. I need to clean them first...

I'm thinking that perhaps the longer one just had a British NEW base plate added as a replacement piece and the rest is another maker entirely.

Luc

Staff member
That's possible, the small one is pretty heavy compared to the long one.

Luc

Staff member
The handle on the longer handled one looks similar to a gillette british new improved I have.
http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200947&postcount=11

Mines probably not a mismatch because I have bought anouther razor with the exact same head and handle after I bought that one too.

I do not think it's a mismatch as I bought another NEW (England) with that exact same handle. The head is different. I was thinking a mismatch between the box, razor long handle and razor short handle... I just find it odd that I don't have the usual long bar to align the blade, I have two short one that are not placed symetrically.

BTW, yours is very nice.

Luc

Staff member
Anyone knows if it's a mismatch or a shorter production from Gillette/other company?

Luc

Staff member
mmm, I guess I have a very unique piece of harware here... Any idea on what it's worth?

Actually, neither razor goes with the box. The box is the outer carton for a razor case. In fact, the Best British Product is actually an Australian product.

Best British,Major (The) Gillette type Australia Double edge Australian regd. 62526. New Zeland regd. 32561

proxy.php

proxy.php

Luc

Staff member
Actually, neither razor goes with the box. The box is the outer carton for a razor case. In fact, the Best British Product is actually an Australian product.

Best British,Major (The) Gillette type Australia Double edge Australian regd. 62526. New Zeland regd. 32561

Thanks Guido, I knew that it was a mismatch... There are a few razors that you posted that are sold on the bay each week... According to the seller, they are brand new... Unsure if the product is good...

Do you have more info on the razors/value?

Thanks Guido, I knew that it was a mismatch... There are a few razors that you posted that are sold on the bay each week... According to the seller, they are brand new... Unsure if the product is good...

Do you have more info on the razors/value?

You know, that short one may very well be a Major. The head seems to match. It may either have a different handle variant or maybe a mismatch handle. No idea on values, though. I would imagine at least $20 for each given that they are clearly vintage and in very good condition.

Luc

Staff member
I had a play with the small razor yesterday. The alignment pins are a nightmare on that thing. They do not secure the razor blade so it can 'wiggle' a bit while I install it. The blade angle vs the head (I should post pictures of this) is interesting. The gap is quite large because the middle part of the head is smaller than usual. This would make that razor very aggressive (in theory). I haven't tried it but if someone wants to risk themselves with it, I would make it possible! :biggrin:

Luc

Staff member
I took some pictures to compare it to something else and show the blade angle.

From left to right.

Gillette NEW (UK) with Bull Mastiff handle :biggrin:, The Major travel razor, Gillette NEW (USA) with fat handle. As you can see, the one in the middle is a bit smaller than the NEW.

Second picture shows the blade angle... The comb is useless I would say...

Top Bottom