What's new

More info about Merkur 11(G)

52C5446F-CA94-42C9-8F30-D37B18DE2514.jpeg
Hi all!

I just purchased an open comb version of the 34G.
For as far as a know it’s a gold 11C however I can’t find any info about it. (Age, rarity, price new&now)

Any ideas?

That'a a cracker. Let us know how it shaves. :thumbup1:
Just tried it.
It seems a bit more aggressive than the 34C and it has a bit more blade feel.

However I'll have to test again with a bith more stubble as it normally gives me a better shave when using a more aggressive razor. Let's try again in about 3 days :)

Just had another (and last) go with this razor.
4 days of growth, 2.5 passes.
Should have stopped after 1. My whole neck area is red and is on fire.
Too aggressive for me…

In my experience, Merkur 11 and aggressive do not belong in the same sentence. Maybe it requires a different technique than 34 for a smooth shave.
Issue for me is that the 34c is already on the aggressive side for me. Rockwell 6S on R4 is usually the sweet spot for me with 4 days of stubble or R2 for daily shaves.
It’s sad. I want to try more razors but I keep getting way worse shaves in comparison with the Rockwell.
I have a pretty nice collection with executive adjustables, normal Fatboy’s, slims,… but I think I’d better get rid of them as I’m only keeping them to look at.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice find, @kimme1024 ! Those are rather uncommon here in the US, I've got nothing much to help ... I've only ever seen one.

Reminds me I need to shave with my beautiful Hoffritz slant. Thanks for the nudge!

full

I've only ever heard of one Merkur open-comb head, currently used on the 15C and 25C. This is a very mild design with negative blade exposure. Possibly one of mildest razors you can buy.

IMO it's a great little razor. Easy to use & very versatile. I use mine regularly for head shaving.

Issue for me is that the 34c is already on the aggressive side for me. Rockwell 6S on R4 is usually the sweet spot for me with 4 days of stubble or R2 for daily shaves.
It’s sad. I want to try more razors but I keep getting way worse shaves in comparison with the Rockwell.
I have a pretty nice collection with executive adjustables, normal Fatboy’s, slims,… but I think I’d better get rid of them as I’m only keeping them to look at.
I consider Merkur 34 a medium aggressive razor and I am sure that if you adjust your technique you will enjoy this razor, and not only. Merkur 34 is a fantastic shaver, as good as DE89/R89.
I owned and used Merkur 11C (not gold as I couldn't find any at that time) and 15C. In my opinion they are very mild razors but finicky to shave with.
Your find is nice indeed, and if I were you, I would not sell any other razors, especially the adjustable ones. Slims are great shavers as well. I know that because I have one and shave with it.

Just give it more time and few more shaves before call it quits.

I have an 11C and a 15C and they are very mild. Great head shavers for me and have been using it for that purpose for 5+ years with great success. I need a little more oomph for face shaving.

Top Bottom