What's new

More Grainy Goodness

Graydog

Biblical Innards
That looks spectacular, I love the shape, it's almost the opposite of what I've typically seen and it works superbly.
I have been playing around with the shape for a while,I have 2 others that are real close.
I actually used one today a badger boar mix .the shape feels really good for me ATTACH=full]1000982[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190721083109865_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190721083109865_COVER.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
I have been playing around with the shape for a while,I have 2 others that are real close.
I actually used one today a badger boar mixView attachment 1000982

Very nice, I'm not sure if I ever saw the others, I really like that shape and the keyhole handles you do. I have a 28mm boar I'm thinking of doing a graydog inspired keyhole for.
Oh and that bulldog is beautiful too.

I may have to make the blank first. I'm trying to decide between the material I used on my friends brush which is my avatar pic or wood. I don't have any wood that is calling to me right now. And my friend said he would buy me a SHD knot if I make him another brush like that one, but with a bulb instead of a fan. So I'm learning towards wood for the boar hair knot, since I know I want the homemade micarta for the SHD.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I may have to make the blank first. I'm trying to decide between the material I used on my friends brush which is my avatar pic or wood. I don't have any wood that is calling to me right now. And my friend said he would buy me a SHD knot if I make him another brush like that one, but with a bulb instead of a fan. So I'm learning towards wood for the boar hair knot, since I know I want the homemade micarta for the SHD.
Do you want some Maple?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
It was a beautiful Tree and it's has been giving me some beautiful wood to work with.

Another fine brush Steve. You’ve got some special wood there, but it’s nothing more than kindling without someone’s hands making it into something beautiful.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Thanks Jay, it's fun when you see something in the wood and it comes out . The 3 d affect is really cool when you see it in person

I love the way wood like that flashes when you turn it around in good lighting. And how you can see into the layers of grain deeper than it seems like you should be able to.

It was a beautiful Tree and it's has been giving me some beautiful wood to work with.
Now I'm thinking of The Giving Tree. :)

Beautiful work. Reminds me of what they call quilted maple on guitars. Has ripple effect like flames over the surface. You do good work!

I made some curly maple scales when I first got interested in SR restoration and they turned out nice, but I made them too bulky! I stained them and did a CA finish polished with micromesh. Made some scales from spalted maple, but even after my attempt at stabilizing them they were too punky and snapped.
If my Uncle still has his wood lathe in Alabama, I need try and get him to teach me how to use it.

I’m gonna borrow from Oscar Wilde:

“Nothing, indeed, is more dangerous to the young artist than any conception of ideal beauty: he is constantly led by it either into weak prettiness or lifeless abstraction: whereas to touch the ideal at all you must not strip it of vitality. You must find it in life and re-create it in art.”

“... whereas to touch the ideal at all you must find it in life and re-create it in art.” That’s the perfect description of your brushes and your art, Steve. Bravo!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I’m gonna borrow from Oscar Wilde:

“Nothing, indeed, is more dangerous to the young artist than any conception of ideal beauty: he is constantly led by it either into weak prettiness or lifeless abstraction: whereas to touch the ideal at all you must not strip it of vitality. You must find it in life and re-create it in art.”

“... whereas to touch the ideal at all you must find it in life and re-create it in art.” That’s the perfect description of your brushes and your art, Steve. Bravo!
Thank You for the kind words .

Top Bottom