What's new

More Detailed SOTD For Beginner Straight Users

Greetings Gentlemen,

Here is a more detailed SOTD entry to benefit those who are considering straight razor shaving, just starting out, or are trying to tackle problem areas. My daily routine is as follows:

Preheated shaving bowl and water bath bowl with hot tap water
Boiled water in electric kettle

Showered with SoapDance Woodland Sprite bath soap
Dorko w/ mop inlay, 6/8
Shavemac SMF Special
QEDman B&B Special shaving soap

Sterilized razor with rubbing alcohol
Soaked brush in hot water (not boiling) from kettle - 1 minute

Added boiling water to water bath bowl
Inserted shaving bowl into water bath
Whipped up lather

Applied hot lather to face and left on while stropping razor
Hand American 3x15 Bench-top Leather Hone
30 passes on treated leather
Steamed Face with Hot Towel and Lather - 3 minutes

1 pass down the sides and neck with cream
1 pass across the sides with cream
1 pass along and below jaw line from ear to chin with cream
1 pass up the sides with cream
1 pass touch up with water

Experimented cross shaving base of neck using heal and toe of the blade. Very

close to a 100% shave in these areas.

Proraso after shave balm
Natureade Aloe80
QEDman B&B Special cologne

Dried off razor
30 passes on treated leather
Applied thin coat of Camellia oil

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to post any questions regarding this or contact me directly.

Rik has a very regimented routine he goes through. I think there are about 47 steps to his process!:001_tt2:

Actually, I've seen a post of his prep, and it is very helpful!

Rik...please come to the stage!

Randy

Greetings Randy,

It may be up to 48 steps - just kidding. :001_tt2:

Today's SOTD entry is long, but it really doesn't take me much longer than when I used a DE. Actually the shave itself is faster and much closer than I was ever able to achieve with a DE.

The pre-shaving prep only adds about 5 minutes to my routine. It's a combination of information gathered from Laz, Lynn Abrams, Greg Ives, & David Uthe.

For my daily shaves I only need to do one downward pass on my neck. I detect very light stubble if I feel across grain. For special occasions I will do two additional passes - one going up and one across from ear to chin using a scything motion.

I should mention that with a straight razor I am able to go over an area repeatedly without irritation before having to re-lather. I could never do this with a DE.

Days when I have more time or just want to shave again, I focus on improving my form by trying different techniques.

I realize there are those including SWMBO who think I'm anal, but hey it works. I thank her for the compliment while she rolls her eyes and laughs. :biggrin:

Happy Shaving.

rtaylor61 said:
Rik has a very regimented routine he goes through. I think there are about 47 steps to his process!:001_tt2:

Actually, I've seen a post of his prep, and it is very helpful!

Rik...please come to the stage!

Randy

Rik,

Great job and thanks for sharing. I read your post here before going to the SOTD forum. The explanation of detail is great. Providing a "this is what I do and why I do it" explanation really makes a difference.

Great job, and make sure that Scotto knows about this...he should have his razor and strop in the next few days!

Randy

Thanks Randy & RR,

I'd be interested to know if the pre-shave ritual has any effect for DE shavers. My gut feeling is it may minimal due to the sharpness of the DE blades. Steaming one's face may make a difference since hair follicles relaxe when hot and expand from the moisture, exposing more hair to the blade.

Rik,

I'm the most curious to see what using the hot towel on top of lather does. I've never tried that. Maybe tomorrow!

Randy

Rik said:
Thanks Randy & RR,

I'd be interested to know if the pre-shave ritual has any effect for DE shavers. My gut feeling is it may minimal due to the sharpness of the DE blades. Steaming one's face may make a difference since hair follicles relaxe when hot and expand from the moisture, exposing more hair to the blade.

It does make a difference for me because it preps the face real well and keeps iritation to a minimal.

I never thought about sterilizing the razor (except after first receiving it). Is this something everyone does? I am not a medical expert, but I wonder whether a quick swab with alcohol really does anything. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Thanks for the details, Rik! I have my razor, and am just waiting for the strop.

Scotto said:
I never thought about sterilizing the razor (except after first receiving it). Is this something everyone does? I am not a medical expert, but I wonder whether a quick swab with alcohol really does anything. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Thanks for the details, Rik! I have my razor, and am just waiting for the strop.
Greetings Scotto,

David Uthe recommends doing this to help reduce razor burn. Personally it makes sense for a couple reasons. Straight razors are not changed regularly like DE blades.

I also apply a very light coating of Camellia Oil after I shave with one of my carbon steel razors to protect against water staining.

I use a dispenser identical to those found in clinics with a cotton patch. Takes 10 seconds.

rtaylor61 said:
Rik,

I'm the most curious to see what using the hot towel on top of lather does. I've never tried that. Maybe tomorrow!

Randy
Greetings Randy,

This was a tip I obtained from Greg Ives's video.

I do it for a couple of reasons. First I find the lather helps draw out the natural oils in my skin, further preparing it for the upcoming shave.

Second, it smells great. I use water as hot as my hands can tolerate - three one minute sessions with lather applied before each. Having the fragrance of hot lather wafting up is very relaxing and adds to the shaving experience. Analogous to going to the ball park and not enjoying a bag of peanuts.

Rik said:
Greetings Scotto,

I also apply a very light coating of Camellia Oil after I shave with one of my carbon steel razors to protect against water staining.

Rik, I was thinking about picking up some mineral oil but now you mentioned Camellia Oil, is there anything special about it? Where do you buy it?

roughrider said:
Rik, I was thinking about picking up some mineral oil but now you mentioned Camellia Oil, is there anything special about it? Where do you buy it?
Greetings RR,

You can purchase Camellia Oil at Highland Hardware.

Their description reads "Camellia oil is a favorite traditional tool treatment among both samurai and woodworkers, used both for preventing corrosion and for easing chisels and knives through their work. Light and odorless, the oil is non-staining and doesn't affect glue-up. Use a light wipe on all your steel tools to keep them clean & shiny."

I use it on all of my sharps including razors, knives, woodworking chisels, plane blades, etc. Good Stuff.

For more of a long term storage situation, I would recommend Sentry Solution's TUF-Glide

Greetings Gentlemen,

I opted to list my daily shaving routine as an example at the beginning of this thread and only list changes or experimentations in the SOTD forum.

Rik said:
Greetings RR,

You can purchase Camellia Oil at Highland Hardware.

Their description reads "Camellia oil is a favorite traditional tool treatment among both samurai and woodworkers, used both for preventing corrosion and for easing chisels and knives through their work. Light and odorless, the oil is non-staining and doesn't affect glue-up. Use a light wipe on all your steel tools to keep them clean & shiny."

I use it on all of my sharps including razors, knives, woodworking chisels, plane blades, etc. Good Stuff.

For more of a long term storage situation, I would recommend Sentry Solution's TUF-Glide

I am going to pick me up some Camellia Oil. Thanks for the info Rik.

I use a dispenser identical to those found in clinics with a cotton patch. Takes 10 seconds.

Rik,

Can you elaborate on the dispenser?

Randy

Hello all,
I found that lathering before a hot towel seemed wasteful or pointless at first. After the initial application of lather and a hot towel, however, I found that the tenseness in my shoulders released. I was not thinking about anything, just about the way that the lather/towel felt. I find that a hot towel even after a shower to be relaxing and helps get rid of tension.

Thanks for all of the info guys.

Tim

Rik,

In my mind I was picturing individually sealed "swabs". This make more sense. Actually, any pump bottle would work, or even a spray dispenser, as long as applied directly to the cotton ball. Thanks for the clarification!

Randy

Greetings Tim!

Welcome to B&B! Nice choice going with one of Bill's razors. :thumbup1: Too many individuals start their str8 shaving experience not even knowing what a keen razor is.

Until you decide on which brush you want to invest in, you may want to consider picking up a Tweezerman badger hair brush off of eBay for around $10. It's a very sad to hear of a fellow shaver trying to lather up with an almost hairless brush. :frown:

I look forward to your future posts.

Top Bottom