What's new

More chlorine in our water ?

So, here is the deal:

Over the last week, I 've been experiencing more itchiness after showering; I haven't changed any other factor: same bodywash, same temperature, same duration.

Diet and exercise: no change either.

So, do you think running water is more chlorinated now because of the Swine Flu ??? :confused:

So, here is the deal:

Over the last week, I 've been experiencing more itchiness after showering; I haven't changed any other factor: same bodywash, same temperature, same duration.

Diet and exercise: no change either.

So, do you think running water is more chlorinated now because of the Swine Flu ??? :confused:

Who knows. Maybe they are just putting Tamiflu right into the water supply, and you are having a allergic reaction. Get a shower head filter. A good thing to have at any time. Hopefully more municipalities will convert to Hydrogen Peroxide water treatment instead of Chlorine. Don't get me started on Fluoride in the water. :biggrin:

It's also possible that they are adding extra chlorine due to increased UV exposure. Sunlight breaks down chlorine, so perhaps with more sunlight your municipality is adding more chlorine?

Where I live the amount of chlorine in the water goes up and down several times a year at least. It's enough to smell the difference sometimes.

It's also possible that you're just getting older and your skin is changing as you age. Jumping to the conclusion that there's more Chlorine in the water is a bit of a non-sequitur. IMO, of course.

It's also possible that you're just getting older and your skin is changing as you age. Jumping to the conclusion that there's more Chlorine in the water is a bit of a non-sequitur. IMO, of course.

I don't think I've got that much older in a week Lol.

It's really hard to pinpoint what causes the itchiness, I'll see what I can do

Since flu, to my knowledge, is not spread through the water supply, I think the answer is no.

However, there may be other reasons why chlorination has been increased in your area.

It's also possible that they are adding extra chlorine due to increased UV exposure. Sunlight breaks down chlorine, so perhaps with more sunlight your municipality is adding more chlorine?

Where I live the amount of chlorine in the water goes up and down several times a year at least. It's enough to smell the difference sometimes.

I think this is far more likely than it having anything to do with the Ultra Pig Death from hell! :lol::lol:

SlagleRock said:
I think this is far more likely than it having anything to do with the Ultra Pig Death from hell!

Knock it if you want but the flu is the flu, and it can indeed suck. I'm laid up right now with a summer cold or something... I'm stuck typing in bed all day. :eek:. The plus side is that I'm so bored, everything is funny. I think by the end of the day I will have regressed to kindergarten-humor.

You should have splurged on cotton towels instead of boar hair. :biggrin:

Oh that is such an unpleasant image. Boars are nasty, as in smelly nasty.

I shall repay in kind though. My friend and I were joking about environmentalists and saying that perhaps in the future laws will be lobbied for that call for all hair based brushes to be made from recycled human crack hair :lol:. Note I have nothing against the environment, just eco-terrorists and crazy nuts.

Knock it if you want but the flu is the flu, and it can indeed suck. I'm laid up right now with a summer cold or something... I'm stuck typing in bed all day. :eek:. The plus side is that I'm so bored, everything is funny. I think by the end of the day I will have regressed to kindergarten-humor.

I shall repay in kind though. My friend and I were joking about environmentalists and saying that perhaps in the future laws will be lobbied for that call for all hair based brushes to be made from recycled human crack hair :lol:. Note I have nothing against the environment, just eco-terrorists and crazy nuts.

That would lend a certain credence to people saying their new brush smells like ***.

Same thing happened to me. Change your soap first to a moisturing one. Then, change the detergent you use to wash your towels, avoid fabric softener, and change the towels daily. Problem solved.

I don't believe that the water supply is a vector for swine flu (tho some cases did arise with the avian flu virus in the water supply in some countries). Not in the US/CAN, anyway. It may be that you municipality increases chlorine during certain months, or that there was a breach in your system, which would also explain an additional chlorine load. Chlorine is there to eliminate or reduce the chances of contamination from organic material and bacteria.

Best bet: Call your water supplier and ask.

Last edited:

Oh I know flu sucks, I was just making light of the 2 week panic that has resulted in "what's the swine flu" in the news.

Definitely not! There are limits to how much chlorine can be safely put into the water supply. You can contact your local water supplier to find out what the test results are, it's a matter of public record.

Get a good shower filter, and use organic products. Jason & Alba are two brands that have worked well for me. I used to have all sorts of skin problems until I did these two things. I had to use lotion every day because my skin was so dry and itchy it would drive me nuts if I didn't. After I got the filter, it helped some, but then when I added the natural products I rarely use lotion since then. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year, when it gets really dry in the winter.

Top Bottom