What's new

More CCW questions from the noob to you old timers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry a HK P2000sk. OWB @4:00. Be comfortable, don't buy into this "printing" BS. Nobody is looking, nobody knows or cares. I modified the magazine and cut off the little rubber thingy so my pinky gets a good three finger grip. I like a holster that slides on my belt (these poly loops work great) so I can move it out of the way and get to my wallet while standing in line at the grocery store with all the "Karens." I also like a slide guard to protect the gun from me, and me from the gun. In California, where "a man with a gun" is a crime against humanity. Carry every day for decades and not one comment.
P1020679.JPG
P1020678.JPG
P1020681.JPG

Last edited:
I absolutely love my G43X. I have one of the first ones made. So it isn’t MOS milled for a red dot, but if you choose a G43X? Yours will. :)

While my G43X is very accurate, because it is a first model, it has Polygonal rifling and isn’t a match grade barrel. If you choose a G43X, yours will have Glock’s new ‘Marksman’ barrel which is a match grade barrel. :)
Oh, you mean the new one with traditional button rifling that shows uniquely identifiable tool marks, unlike poly rifling that is literally indistinguishable from one barrel to the next? Gee, why ever would Glock start this in their US factory...?:ihih::ihih:

It generally is not a prosecutorial challenge, but only brass is traceable from older Glocks.

I carry a HK P2000sk. OWB @4:00. Be comfortable, don't buy into this "printing" BS. Nobody is looking, nobody knows or cares. I modified the magazine and cut off the little rubber thingy so my pinky gets a good three finger grip. I like a holster that slides on my belt (these poly loops work great) so I can move it out of the way and get to my wallet while standing in line at the grocery store with all the "Karens." I also like a slide guard to protect the gun from me, and me from the gun. In California, where "a man with a gun" is a crime against humanity. Carry every day for decades and not one comment.
I would agree, most people are very blase', and wouldn't notice a person on fire in the middle of the street. If someone who does not have your best interests at heart notices, they will generally run some variation of a cost-benefit analysis, and generally, an armed individual carries more risk.

But. I conceal earnestly because I don't care to find myself being eyeballed by someone under some level of external pressure that makes going for me "worthwhile"(e.g., they need my firearm/car, want to get rid of the visible threat in the crowd, etc.,). I wear glasses & hearing aids, and I'm diabetic. Its not nearly as hard to get close to me as it was in my 20s. YMMV.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Oh, you mean the new one with traditional button rifling that shows uniquely identifiable tool marks, unlike poly rifling that is literally indistinguishable from one barrel to the next? Gee, why ever would Glock start this in their US factory...?:ihih::ihih:

It generally is not a prosecutorial challenge, but only brass is traceable from older Glocks.

Well, they say it’s more accurate? :) I have shot the newer barrel from a Gen5 and while I couldn’t tell the difference in its combat accuracy, I did notice smaller groupings from a bag rest that might make a difference for the G34 competition guys?

But for us G43X And G19 guys? I dunno?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You could also fire plain lead bullets from the new traditionally rifled barrel without worries. Poly rifling may not play well with sustained use of lead bullets. YMMV.

While concealed means concealed, and does not mean invisible to the trained eye at .5 meters, it is a fallacy, IMHO, to think that some folks do not notice when you "print."

1. "Switched" on bad folks absolutely notice. It is one of they the things they look for as they run their go/no go on who to target.
Moreover, if there is more than one of them, and only one of you, you may still be "it" as your pistol is not a talisman that wards off all evil. It, in fact, may be the prize.

2. "Switched" on good folks notice, for the same reasons, with entirely different motivations.

3. Usually, but not always, members of the opposite sex for whom you fall in their attraction template(s) as they simply pay attention to you on a regular basis. This is why concealed carry can be tricky in workplaces where it is not illegal but can be against norms and/or policy (ies) which can subject you to consequences from being considered weird, to being affirmatively ostracized to being disciplined to being fired.

A quality firearm is most easily concealed in a quality firearm specific holster worn on a purpose designed belt that is sturdy enough to hold the holster in place so your gun is exactly where you put it on the off chance you need to use it.

Edited to add: It is within the public domain that the "Non Matchabilty" of projectiles fired from Glock pistols from all generations may be exaggerated. It is also in the public domain that the "matchabilty" of spent shell casings, to a particular pistol, to include Glocks of all generations, has improved significantly over the last 25 years and what may have been an "unmatchable" casing in 2003 and/or 2013 may not be such in 2023.

Last edited:
Casings yes, projectiles, no. Hammer-forged poly barrels, barring a factory mandrel defect or after-purchase damage to the bore can, at best, be allocated to a run(e.g., 1 in a few to several thousand). It is also public-domain that Quantico has had a "veracity problem" for multiple decades.:hand:

Blessedly, here in the Midwest (and regions covered by the 8th Cir Ct of Appeals,) institutional "veracity" problems are not those of the coasts, to date anyway.

OkieStubble

You could also fire plain lead bullets from the new traditionally rifled barrel without worries. Poly rifling may not play well with sustained use of lead bullets. YMMV.

You can shoot lead casting from poly barrels, but you will get excessive leading sooner or later. I can’t see why one would want to shoot lead casting out of a defensive Glock model, except for maybe the 10mm and .40 caliber versions, but even then, while the newer standard rifling will do lead, I’m not sure Glock’s barrels have full length supported chambers for much hotter cartridge’s? An aftermarket would still be better if purchased?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You can shoot lead casting from poly barrels, but you will get excessive leading sooner or later. I can’t see why one would want to shoot lead casting out of a defensive Glock model, except for maybe the 10mm and .40 caliber versions, but even then, while the newer standard rifling will do lead, I’m not sure Glock’s barrels have full length supported chambers for much hotter cartridge’s? An aftermarket would still be better if purchased?
For practice with cheaper reloads. While I greatly prefer to load plated bullets and not deal with the hassles of lead bullets, if one was already casting bullets, I could see the utility of using cast bullets as the price of ammo and components continue to increase. I agree with using an aftermarket barrel for the .40 S&W in particular.

I don't know if somebody beat me to it but Langdon Tactical now offers the Striker Control Device for the 43x, which is close in size and only slightly down on capacity from the p365. That would give you the same effect as being able to ride the hammer when holstering.

I have an original p365. I liked it for pocket carry. Last year I got an xl grip frame for it. Then I belatedly decided to try the Wilson grip frame. I love the extra texture, it's super grippy. I probably would NOT like carrying it next to bare skin. The PLAN was to get it optic cut and start using the Phlster Enigma that I'd also bought for it. That plan is semi derailed by finding a 43x mos gently used at a good price at the local emporium of taking Randy's money. Saves me an additional 120 plus shipping by not having to send my slide out AND I like that the holosun 507k I've already got on the shelf is the right footprint to screw right on.

OkieStubble

I don't know if somebody beat me to it but Langdon Tactical now offers the Striker Control Device for the 43x, which is close in size and only slightly down on capacity from the p365. That would give you the same effect as being able to ride the hammer when holstering.

I have an original p365. I liked it for pocket carry. Last year I got an xl grip frame for it. Then I belatedly decided to try the Wilson grip frame. I love the extra texture, it's super grippy. I probably would NOT like carrying it next to bare skin. The PLAN was to get it optic cut and start using the Phlster Enigma that I'd also bought for it. That plan is semi derailed by finding a 43x mos gently used at a good price at the local emporium of taking Randy's money. Saves me an additional 120 plus shipping by not having to send my slide out AND I like that the holosun 507k I've already got on the shelf is the right footprint to screw right on.

Haven't seen you around for a cool minute? Glad to see you posting again! :) My ageing eyes might need a red dot for combat distances and police qualification scores of 25 yards and in. But my Glock Officer's Model 43X is more for closer, personal self-defense.

However, my astigmatism's, still allow me to shoot pretty darn good at self defense ranges with open top sights. I like the fact that my smaller Glock Officer's Model 43X is lightweight, (so no 15 round steel magazines) to weigh it down. it also has a sleek, thin profile for concealment, ease of carry and a smooth, snag free draw. (with it's Ameri-Glo standard sights)

I don't have a Colt Officer's model 1911, so I got a Glock Officer's Model 43X for up close stuff and out to 15 yards I'm golden, with it's stock sights. :)

Is good to be back, I missed you guys.

Another thought for the OP:

On an appendix holster (or even IWB 3 o'clock) something I latched onto that one of the instructors in a class had was getting the holster made in a bright color then going over the outside top of it with black sharpie leaving, in my case, a bright orange inside to visually aim for during the reholster. Dark Star Gear is among the makers offering bright colors, and is enigma compatible if you go that route.

OkieStubble

Is good to be back, I missed you guys.

Another thought for the OP:

On an appendix holster (or even IWB 3 o'clock) something I latched onto that one of the instructors in a class had was getting the holster made in a bright color then going over the outside top of it with black sharpie leaving, in my case, a bright orange inside to visually aim for during the reholster. Dark Star Gear is among the makers offering bright colors, and is enigma compatible if you go that route.

Enigma is a pretty expensive and fancy rig. Lots of cool YouTube videos on it. How do you like it? How do you set it up? Got any pics? :)

Welcome back bro! :)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well finally tracked down a p365x online as locally they are still hard to find. Ended up with the Romeo Zero Elite model which included suppressor night sights and the Sig RDS for 170.00 extra.

I almost went with a g43x Mos as at 495.00 adding night sights and a better non-sig red dot would have been not a whole lot more expensive. In the end the ability to add a manual safety and the modularity is why I went with the P365. As a noob I though it best to learn with all the available training wheels, then later take ‘em off.

OkieStubble

Well finally tracked down a p365x online as locally they are still hard to find. Ended up with the Romeo Zero Elite model which included suppressor night sights and the Sig RDS for 170.00 extra.

I almost went with a g43x Mos as at 495.00 adding night sights and a better non-sig red dot would have been not a whole lot more expensive. In the end the ability to add a manual safety and the modularity is why I went with the P365. As a noob I though it best to learn with all the available training wheels, then later take ‘em off.

You made a great choice in the Sig P365X, I’m sure it will serve you well. In the big picture of things, that manual safety isn’t going to hurt anything; and if it makes you feel more confident carrying? Then it’s a good thing.

You can be every bit as fast on drawing and presenting your pistol with a manual safety as without. An extra step in your training isn’t going to hurt anything. I’m doing the same thing with my training and the 1911. :)

Which way are you leaning on the holster you want for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom