What's new

More and more aggressive...

With a aggressive razor you can regulate it like a adjustable razor but on the fly once you dial it in.
For myself I have some aggressive 3pc razors and the best way to master them is with steep angle (riding the bar) with a short handle give some spectacular shaves irritation free mostly(blemishes can get sliced off easily). It is mostly blade feel on the fly is the best way to describe the shave. The short handle reduces leverage and weight and quicker to respond + good to hold the steep angle at the bottom of the neck area with out scooping out to complete a stroke.
Good luck with your razor hunting!
Hi Ron, You are right, technique needs to vary based on razor aggressiveness. I rotate between two razors, a mild King C. Gillette and moderate Weishi Long Handle. Can get BBS with both but to do so requires changes to my technique. With the milder King C. Gillette an extra pass is required (3+ instead of 2+) with the final "+" touch up pass based on approaches such as "riding the cap" if BBS is desired. Also the King C. Gillette is a heavier razor so there is more pressure on the regular passes versus the Weishi.

the three pass shave occurred over the past 10-15 years via the internet as DE shaving evolved from a basic personal hygiene activity into a hobby for many.

I think you hit the nail on the head with these words. I never heard of a 3-pass shave until more recently.

As my shaving routines were centered around personal hygiene, it was more of a shave and get done attitude. What actually got me away from single pass DE shaving was the "routine", way to much bother for me. Far more easier to use a can of gel and a Track II razor.

In making a decision to return to DE shaving, I thought, why not use a DE razor with a can of Edge or Gillette gel? I still do a single lathered pass, plus clean-up.

I mention this specifically because the general public is under the belief that to engage in DE shaving, a brush, soap puck, bowl, stand and a 3-pass shaves are mandatory. That is not the case.

Anyone can get started with DE shaving with a $25-30 razor (and much less), add in $10 for 100-DE blades, less than *$2 per-month for a 7 oz. can of gel and you are set for more than a year.

*Cans of gell appear to be currently around $3.75 or around $20 for a half dozen. A can will last me more than two months.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi Ron, You are right, technique needs to vary based on razor aggressiveness. I rotate between two razors, a mild King C. Gillette and moderate Weishi Long Handle. Can get BBS with both but to do so requires changes to my technique. With the milder King C. Gillette an extra pass is required (3+ instead of 2+) with the final "+" touch up pass based on approaches such as "riding the cap" if BBS is desired. Also the King C. Gillette is a heavier razor so there is more pressure on the regular passes versus the Weishi.
I cheat a little for my milder razors and use a Kai SS extra wide blade, they are pricy but you get a lot more shaves per blade because they are made with better steel or their heat treatment is superior to most others possibly. I will always have a tuck or 2 of Kai SS DE blades around. They are sharp and smooth with excellent longevity, they are not like a Feather that is super sharp but more like a Astra SP, SS blade for smoothness IMO. They are approx 9/1000 inches wider or .00045" per side that gives that extra bump up in performance and my milder razors get used a lot more now also.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom