What's new

More and more aggressive...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've been wet shaving with double edge razors for over four years now. Over time, I've come to appreciate razors that I wouldn't have even considered using when I first started shaving. Currently, my favorite razor is a stainless steel Muhle R41. It's considered by many B&B members to be a fairly aggressive razor...not to be taken lightly. I suppose that it would be natural to shave with razors that are increasingly aggressive. However, I still find it a bit of a mystery as to why and how this happened. Is it really just a matter of increased skill/better technique? Or is it more than that? I'm about to order another Wolfman WR1 head. At first I wanted to get the same gap as the one I had, but in an OC configuration. But after some serious thought, I realized that would be a terrible mistake. I'm increasing the gap on this next razor and going OC. It's time to take another step up in aggressiveness. When I first got my WR1 .74 SB, I was upset because I considered it to be too aggressive. However, I continued to shave with it and now it seems easy to use. What happened?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Better Technique & confidence will do it, I sort of got into a kick with aggressive razors myself and actually enjoy the challenge. When I first was traditional wet shaving I could never understand folks who shaved with aggressive razors.
But I learned a lot with just using a AC shavette with a naked blade and that is most sharpest razor out there, the edge is keener than a carbon straight razor and I quickly went to the guarded Kai Protouch to tame my poor shavette greenhorn technique from the blade digging in. I have 5 aggressive razors that care has to be taken when using and I use a steep approach (riding the bar) with a short handle with some skin stretching helps a lot.
Enjoy your R41 stainless steel razor which was a limited edition razor if I'm not mistaken and I like the mural on the top cap also.

I love aggressive razors, but recognize that gravity will someday make my face an unsuitable work surface for the most egregious; hence, I've been buying some new adjustables that go from modest to fierce.

Keep your eyes open for an Asylum RX V1, it is truly a straight on a stick. Some Le Coq cage combs may be close, but my suspicion is that over the years, many have been knocked and bent out of spec.

I love aggressive razors, but recognize that gravity will someday make my face an unsuitable work surface for the most egregious; hence, I've been buying some new adjustables that go from modest to fierce.

Keep your eyes open for an Asylum RX V1, it is truly a straight on a stick. Some Le Coq cage combs may be close, but my suspicion is that over the years, many have been knocked and bent out of spec.
Each year is a new hell where gravity's concerned. ;)

I think technique is key.

I use a Wolfman WR2 1.65 dual comb almost daily and it is about as aggressive as you can get in a DE razor. A few years ago I was using very mild razors. My technique must have changed as my face didn’t!

Not saying I know everything there is to know about shaving currently, but over the last year or two I came to appreciate more aggressive razors as they are fun to use if you treat them with respect. And you get a better shave.

Everyone is different though.

I think technique is key.

I use a Wolfman WR2 1.65 dual comb almost daily and it is about as aggressive as you can get in a DE razor. A few years ago I was using very mild razors. My technique must have changed as my face didn’t!

Not saying I know everything there is to know about shaving currently, but over the last year or two I came to appreciate more aggressive razors as they are fun to use if you treat them with respect. And you get a better shave.

Everyone is different though.
I think it depends on one's whiskers. My beard is medium-light or light-medium and I've never needed much razor to get me to BBS. Recently bought an R41 and I've only shaved with it once but I have to pay more attention to it than, say, my AS-D2. ;)

I'm fairly new at using DE razors (I've been at it for only about 8 months) but what I like about more aggressive razors is they seem to be less picky about getting an optimal angle. That's what I like about the R41: I lay the razor on my face, use short strokes with zero pressure, and my stubble disappears almost like magic. The R41 works the way I imagined a DE razor was supposed to work before I actually used one. Great razor for me and I'm a relative newbie!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would prefer if people could reference a different style rather than just mild/aggressive. For instance, the Wunderbar can be beastly, but shaves super smooth, till it bites.

While I prefer aggressive razors in general, the WR2 clone head from Yaqi with its 1.5 gap is a very mild and weird razor, it's one of the few mild razors I like. It has a very steep angle, something I am used to, so maybe that's why.

Technique: Every razor requires a different angle and style. And perhaps also preferences. The steep angle scraping shave I do with the Timeless Slim is probably pure horror to many.
I needed a while to adjust to the shallower angle of the Blackbird, but managed to do so. I still default to starting out steep for most razors.

A very interesting razor is the Smart Helix Apollo in this regard. It allows one to pick a steep or a shallow angle and changes characteristics accordingly. It has a fairly wide range of acceptable angles. It's a very fun razor to play around with.

I would prefer if people could reference a different style rather than just mild/aggressive. For instance, the Wunderbar can be beastly, but shaves super smooth, till it bites.

While I prefer aggressive razors in general, the WR2 clone head from Yaqi with its 1.5 gap is a very mild and weird razor, it's one of the few mild razors I like. It has a very steep angle, something I am used to, so maybe that's why.

Technique: Every razor requires a different angle and style. And perhaps also preferences. The steep angle scraping shave I do with the Timeless Slim is probably pure horror to many.
I needed a while to adjust to the shallower angle of the Blackbird, but managed to do so. I still default to starting out steep for most razors.

A very interesting razor is the Smart Helix Apollo in this regard. It allows one to pick a steep or a shallow angle and changes characteristics accordingly. It has a fairly wide range of acceptable angles. It's a very fun razor to play around with.
I have never even heard of those different razors!

I've been wet shaving with double edge razors for over four years now. Over time, I've come to appreciate razors that I wouldn't have even considered using when I first started shaving. Currently, my favorite razor is a stainless steel Muhle R41. It's considered by many B&B members to be a fairly aggressive razor...not to be taken lightly. I suppose that it would be natural to shave with razors that are increasingly aggressive. However, I still find it a bit of a mystery as to why and how this happened. Is it really just a matter of increased skill/better technique? Or is it more than that? I'm about to order another Wolfman WR1 head. At first I wanted to get the same gap as the one I had, but in an OC configuration. But after some serious thought, I realized that would be a terrible mistake. I'm increasing the gap on this next razor and going OC. It's time to take another step up in aggressiveness. When I first got my WR1 .74 SB, I was upset because I considered it to be too aggressive. However, I continued to shave with it and now it seems easy to use. What happened?
Same thing is happening to me. I still have my no-brainer razors, but I can't believe the aggressive razors I'm using and the even more aggresive ones I want to get.

I grew over the years like most, getting more aggressive razors and getting good at using them. Then I started collecting vintage Safety Razors. I shave with a Straight Razor more than I do a Safety Razor, but I find a more mild/smooth Safety Razor will get the job done just fine as I will need to do 3 to 4 passes no matter what razor I'm using.

It's all about what someone likes and learns to use. We grow and things change.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm fairly new at using DE razors (I've been at it for only about 8 months) but what I like about more aggressive razors is they seem to be less picky about getting an optimal angle. That's what I like about the R41: I lay the razor on my face, use short strokes with zero pressure, and my stubble disappears almost like magic. The R41 works the way I imagined a DE razor was supposed to work before I actually used one. Great razor for me and I'm a relative newbie!
Good for you, the R41 is more aggressive than most razors and some fellows really like it. You might not need another razor when it is mastered.

First, CONGRATULATIONS on your taste!! The WR1 is my ‘destination‘ razor also!

Second, there are a number of moving parts here: your technique is obviously improving, your beard and skin are changing, etc. Thus, it is difficult to attribute your changing taste in razors to any single factor.

IMO the main thing is to determine what makes you happy, then go for that!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

As far as aggressive is concerned...I tried the R41 when it came out...a bloody mess. No matter what I tried there were weepers, nicks and cuts. Sigh. So when I heard about the Flatboy I was intrigued. Not wanting a repeat of my inability to shave with the R41 I hesitated. I pulled the trigger and was rewarded with a razor that delivers a truly close and COMFORTABLE shave. I could not believe it, a razor people were comparing to the R41 in terms of aggressiveness and yet I got great shaves. WITHOUT the former blood letting. This is probably the most aggressive razor I own and yet I have ZERO issues with recommending it to anyone who enjoys wet shaving. It truly is a great shaver.

I tried the Flatboy and my issue is that it "frowns" the blade when you tighten the handle. It's extremely finicky to get the blade straight before being able to shave with it. It does work well when I take the time to tighten the handle "just so," but I don't often have that kind of time :(

I tried the Flatboy and my issue is that it "frowns" the blade when you tighten the handle. It's extremely finicky to get the blade straight before being able to shave with it. It does work well when I take the time to tighten the handle "just so," but I don't often have that kind of time :(
Really surprised at this, because I get superb shaves of m my FlatBoy. I have no issues loading the blade etc so I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems.

Top Bottom