What's new

More Aggressive Razor or Improve my Technique

Hello gentlemen! :)

Thank you all for the many responses and the great advice. I have tried to "like" each response as an acknowledgement.

I think the general consensus is that an open comb razor will do the trick...this is great as I have been trying to justify buying a new Razor..I was looking at either the R41 or the Feather DE SS . After hearing all the views and opinions I think that I will go for the R41

Just need to convince SWMBO...pray for me ;)

Thank you all again!

Congrats. Let us know how it goes! If she balks at the price initially, remember you can buy the head only for $25 from places like Maggards. There are much better handles out there for $15-$20 that you can pick up down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJI
Hello gentlemen! :)

Thank you all for the many responses and the great advice. I have tried to "like" each response as an acknowledgement.

I think the general consensus is that an open comb razor will do the trick...this is great as I have been trying to justify buying a new Razor..I was looking at either the R41 or the Feather DE SS . After hearing all the views and opinions I think that I will go for the R41

Just need to convince SWMBO...pray for me ;)

Thank you all again!
Congrats!

Make sure you get Feather blades with your R41. It's a match made in heaven.

Good advice above!

My approach is to shave almost daily to avoid the problem you describe. I am also in the ‘mild/moderate’ razor plus a sharp blade camp for these everyday shaves. Just works for me!

That said, a more aggressive razor is the tool for the job when you have multiple days growth to deal with. :a21: :a21:

All this talk about the R41...

Took mine out, loaded a fresh Feather blade and head a go at it.

A&E The Undersea was my "pre-shave" and soap, T3 brush as usual and standard 3-pass shave - WTG, XTG, ATG with a few minor clean-ups/buffing at the end. Glass-smooth BBS, zero irritation. All in all, the following boxes have all been checked:

Nostalgia
Do I still have what it takes
I can do it anytime I want

😎 😎 😎 😎

UPDATE

Good evening gents

3 years later I finally bought the R41...apologies for taking so long. Life and and another kid happened. I am now the father of 2 beautiful girls and the owner of a R89 and finally a R41.

First shave with the R41 today with a GSB. Used it on 2 weeks of growth and ended up with a DFS after just 2 passes. No nicks or cuts…although the alum block did provide some feedback here and there.

i am completely amazed by how efficient the R41 is compared to the R89.

Not sure if I’m ready to use it as a daily driver yet but I will keep at it!

Top Bottom