What's new

More Aggressive Razor or Improve my Technique

It’s a razor blade for cryin out loud! Just bear down! One pass BSS all day e’r day suckas!!!!

48023A05-B710-4EF6-A5CA-735A3A777736.jpeg453FE8D1-5DCD-435B-A169-0048A7BA491C.jpeg

I'm a big fan of the Razoroc SLOC, which is a medium aggressive razor. You can pick up the head only for $8.00. If you decide to go more aggressive, I'd vote for the Fatip Grande.

If you're set on the R41, keep an eye on the BST forum; they show up there with remarkable frequency. One word of caution for the R41, mine tugs worse than any razor I have ever owned. It literally makes my eyes water sometimes. The more days since my last shave, the worse it is for me. A lot of guys swear by them though, so you might like it.

For 6 days growth I suggest you to buy a R41 Head Only. Since you have a R89 Handle you can use your existing handle of R898 which fit to R41 Head.

As an Open Comb ("OC") I recommend you to buy a Merkur 15C. This is a user friendly razor which is effective but not aggressive. This is a timeless classic as well. It is not expensive at all.

I can provide another alternative like a decent adjustable. You can give a try to a Merkur Progress Short Handle and you can use with lower settings on your daily shaves and higher settings on your 5+ days shaves.

Do you guys think I should buy a Muhle R41 for the times when I have longer gaps between shaves.
Yes. Or the Fatip or Gillete or other open combs mentioned. I can't even get through one day of growth with the R89/DE89. I've had my DE89 for eight years; I still try it occasionally, and I still can't get a close shave with it, so it's not lack of experience. On the other hand, the R41 virtually guarantees BBS closeness every time.

Reactions: KJI
M

mtcn77

I am going to contravene those who say that BBS is attainable with any razor. It is most definitely not. The R89 couldn't get me to BBS no matter how hard I tried. I have facial hair like yours, and sensitive skin to boot.

I opted for a much more efficient head, and my problems were solved.

May I present:

Yaqi Top Cap Aggressive Slant Safety Razor Head

Less than $10.
I have the Yaqi, just wanted to say it doesn't shave around the chin area all that well. I get a closer shave with Merkur 37C, albeit slower, but there eventually.
The Yaqi experience is harsh. It feels smooth, but Merkur 37C looks smooth. It is milder on the surrounding skin; even if it bites, it doesn't scrape the skin.

Yes. Or the Fatip or Gillete or other open combs mentioned. I can't even get through one day of growth with the R89/DE89. I've had my DE89 for eight years; I still try it occasionally, and I still can't get a close shave with it, so it's not lack of experience. On the other hand, the R41 virtually guarantees BBS closeness every time.
P.S. Also, maybe think about GEM SE blades and razors, which will mow down any and all stubble always, especially the older and open comb versions.

I think you should have an adjustable....either the gillette fatboy or slim or parker variant or merkur progress or if you want to spend some more and get a fancy one...get the new tatara muramasa

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Whoa! Time out. Let's re-think this for a moment.

Before I would suggest a forum brother spend $75 or so on an R41, that he may or may not like, I would first suggest he make 2 shims for pennies from 2 old DE razor blades and see if the R89 then cuts the mustard.

I speak from experience. I have tough whiskers and the R89 is hopelessly useless, way too mild, though it's a finely crafted razor that I admire. But loaded with 2 shims under the working blade, no razor shaves my mug better (comfort and closeness) and I have 70 DE, SE, and injector razors in my arsenal.

If a double shimmed R89 works for brother KJI as well as it works for me, I predict he will forget about the R41.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Whoa! Time out. Let's re-think this for a moment.

Before I would suggest a forum brother spend $75 or so on an R41, that he may or may not like, I would first suggest he make 2 shims for pennies from 2 old DE razor blades and see if the R89 then cuts the mustard.

I speak from experience. I have tough whiskers and the R89 is hopelessly useless, way too mild, though it's a finely crafted razor that I admire. But loaded with 2 shims under the working blade, no razor shaves my mug better (comfort and closeness) and I have 70 DE, SE, and injector razors in my arsenal.

If a double shimmed R89 works for brother KJI as well as it works for me, I predict he will forget about the R41.
How do you make shims

How do you make shims

Google it. Essentially you take an old pair of scissors and snip off just the 2 cutting edges on an old blade. (Wear glasses to protect the eyes from flying shrapnel.) Place the shim/s below the working blade. The result is the cutting blade is then elevated slightly from the razor's safety bar, resulting in a larger blade gap for the working blade. The larger blade gap makes the razor more aggressive.

Speaking of adjustables or in general large blade gaps for more aggressiveness and have the beard not instantly clogging the head :

(Time marker set, it starts right at the shave.)

Just to give the idea.

We have a similar starting point. I started out with a DE89, and started looking for a new razor because it tugged so badly if I missed a few shaves.

I'm a big fan of the Razoroc SLOC, which is a medium aggressive razor. You can pick up the head only for $8.00. If you decide to go more aggressive, I'd vote for the Fatip Grande.

If you're set on the R41, keep an eye on the BST forum; they show up there with remarkable frequency. One word of caution for the R41, mine tugs worse than any razor I have ever owned. It literally makes my eyes water sometimes. The more days since my last shave, the worse it is for me. A lot of guys swear by them though, so you its definitely a YMMV thing.
Agree on the RR SLOC, especially if you do a lot of blade-buffing.

As for the R41, I struggle to see how it'd tug, given you load it with a fresh (Feather) blade and apply a proper shaving technique.

I for one don't think it's YMMV, rather a poor blade choice, inadequate technique or an unfortunate combination of both.

Perhaps my experience can help: I started out in 2013 with a Merkur 15C and currently use a Rockwell 6S. In-between I used to have some more than half a dozen others.
At the beginning, I would shave weekly. The Merkur is very comfortable and does the job nicely (if not faulty). I have tried the Rockwell with a 5-day-beard only, @1 and @2 do not work, but anything above 3 does the trick. I would say that Rockwell@3 = Merkur 15C, Rockwell@4-6 is more aggressive and @1-2 is less aggressive (my preferred setting). I used to use a Feather Popular (the non-adjustable) and paired with a Feather blade I once shaved off a month worth of growth. I do have to say though, it took almost 30 minutes and more soap than usual, but was very comfortable nonetheless.
To summarize:
- you can keep your razor, but you might save time and effort with another one
- both an adjustable and an open comb can serve you fine, it depends on your budget and taste

If I did not have any DE and had to choose nowadays, I would pick something mild, open comb and stainless steel (hefty), since I don't like changing working stuff and don't like to spend more time than necessary for shaving.

If you like to skip several days, I agree with the earlier posts that recommend a straight or shavette. The learning curve is steep, but after you figure it out you’ll plow through longer growth pretty easily.

• Wow
I would recommend an open-comb before an adjustable closed-comb. They tend to cost less and are designed for the task you described. As you are a fan of Muhle, "keep it in the family" and get an R41 :)

It's a superb razor (I have 4 of them) and you can either buy a complete razor or just the head.

If you want to shave long stubble you will need something like R41 or RR 0.84 Gamechanger or Jaws. All these will work just fine w your blades.

Agree on the RR SLOC, especially if you do a lot of blade-buffing.

As for the R41, I struggle to see how it'd tug, given you load it with a fresh (Feather) blade and apply a proper shaving technique.

I for one don't think it's YMMV, rather a poor blade choice, inadequate technique or an unfortunate combination of both.
I think you'd be wrong. Plenty of experienced shavers like myself do well with aggressive razors but don't appreciate other's love for the R41. It's particular combination of exposure, gap and lack of blade support/rigidity I suspect doesn't do well with certain beard/head stubble or growth patterns.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Get an adjustable razor mate. Start with with something like a Merkur Progress. It's inexpensive, very well built, works no matter how often you shave or beard type. Good for daily use or weekly shaves. That would be my advice.
I have thick and course beard. I need a sharp blade. I shave daily. But sometimes I'll skip a couple of days or more, just to give my adjustable razors a chance to really do what they were made to do.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello gentlemen! :)

Thank you all for the many responses and the great advice. I have tried to "like" each response as an acknowledgement.

I think the general consensus is that an open comb razor will do the trick...this is great as I have been trying to justify buying a new Razor..I was looking at either the R41 or the Feather DE SS . After hearing all the views and opinions I think that I will go for the R41

Just need to convince SWMBO...pray for me ;)

Thank you all again!

Top Bottom