What's new

Moon Soap Company Union Shave Soap

AD74C1DB-5614-44DF-BDD0-DA6F7A3E188D.JPG

I made a recent blind purchase of Moon Soaps Union shave soap. I was looking to test another ( new to me ) artisan vendor out and picked Moon Soaps as the one. The Union soap sounded interesting from its description, so I added it to the cart.

Moon Soaps describes the scent: "Union is comprised of a complex blend of fresh Lemon, soft Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Amber Musk, Bay, and a subtle touch of Nutmeg."

To my nose, it is a light barbershoppy scent with a hint of a sweet and spicy bakery in the background. It isn't a scent bomb, but it is a nice scent that I enjoyed.

Now let's talk performance. It's slick. Very slick. I only face-lathered it today, so I wasn't messing around trying to fill a shave bowl with pillowy foam. I wanted wet and slippery, and that is precisely what I got. It held all the water I tossed at it and kept its structure. Residual slickness was notable. I had no problems with my main shave or any touching up I did. Post shave feel was well apparent as well. It is ( to me ) lightly mentholated so by the time you finish your shave, you've become aware of a slight but pleasant face tingle. I liked the muted effect. If I want a menthol bomb, I'll reach for other products, but this was nice because I didn't pick up any menthol scent.

You can see the branding in the photo. Old School cool. They put 6oz of soap in what I take to be an 8oz plastic screw-top tub, so you have plenty of room to load from the tub if you like to do things that way. It is a soft soap if that is important to you.

In full disclosure, this was my first use, but it impressed me. More from how it performed than from enjoyment of the scent. I can see this being a regular participant in my main rotation just from how it shaves. The pleasant smell is just a bonus, even if I wish it were a tad stronger.

Nice review. I've not heard of Moon Soaps. It's always nice when a blind purchase turns out to be better than expected.

Agreed. It's nice to chance upon a product you like from a blind buy, and I wanted to share the information since they do seem to be a little-known company around here.

View attachment 1576068

I made a recent blind purchase of Moon Soaps Union shave soap. I was looking to test another ( new to me ) artisan vendor out and picked Moon Soaps as the one. The Union soap sounded interesting from its description, so I added it to the cart.

Moon Soaps describes the scent: "Union is comprised of a complex blend of fresh Lemon, soft Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Amber Musk, Bay, and a subtle touch of Nutmeg."

To my nose, it is a light barbershoppy scent with a hint of a sweet and spicy bakery in the background. It isn't a scent bomb, but it is a nice scent that I enjoyed.

Now let's talk performance. It's slick. Very slick. I only face-lathered it today, so I wasn't messing around trying to fill a shave bowl with pillowy foam. I wanted wet and slippery, and that is precisely what I got. It held all the water I tossed at it and kept its structure. Residual slickness was notable. I had no problems with my main shave or any touching up I did. Post shave feel was well apparent as well. It is ( to me ) lightly mentholated so by the time you finish your shave, you've become aware of a slight but pleasant face tingle. I liked the muted effect. If I want a menthol bomb, I'll reach for other products, but this was nice because I didn't pick up any menthol scent.

You can see the branding in the photo. Old School cool. They put 6oz of soap in what I take to be an 8oz plastic screw-top tub, so you have plenty of room to load from the tub if you like to do things that way. It is a soft soap if that is important to you.

In full disclosure, this was my first use, but it impressed me. More from how it performed than from enjoyment of the scent. I can see this being a regular participant in my main rotation just from how it shaves. The pleasant smell is just a bonus, even if I wish it were a tad stronger.
I have used this soap 5 or 6 times and I concur with virtually everything you say.

Moon Soaps are good performing soaps...have half a dozen. Two of their scents are favorites of mine, Havana and Trade Winds.
At some point I’ll pickup another product from their collection. I may look for samples.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I highly recommend Havana and Trade Winds...above and beyond the performance, the scents are first class...so good, I had to pick up the aftershaves.

I have their Old School in soap and balm- I love the scent and performance.

I’m eager to try more selections from Moon. Union is on my list.

Bump-

Any other fans of Union?

I just tried this today (from a sample). I really like this one.

However I don’t pick up any of the notes listed. To me it predominantly smells like a very high quality luxury soap. Fresh, clean, invigorating, soapy. While that may sound boring, I very much enjoyed it.
Perhaps I’m anosmic to something in it?
Regardless, I give it a big thumbs up.

Oh, and the performance is excellent!

Top Bottom