What's new

Moon Mission Techmatic Tribute!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The other day I opened the door to the shave den …

full

An image crossed my mind, then it was gone again, in an instant.

full

Wait. The moon landing! Shaving in space!

In just a month, it will be the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. To me, this is humanity’s high-water mark; our greatest achievement.

Man took to the moon his hopes, his dreams – and the Gillette Techmatic razor (ah, you were starting to wonder). There is a famous video of Command Module (CM) Pilot Michael Collins shaving with the Techmatic. His actual razor and tube of goop is in the Smithsonian, I believe. It’s an iconic shaving-in-space moment, the full story of which will be told elsewhere.

full

Unlike the finely crafted Saturn V rocket, the Techmatic was … an evolution in shaving. It used a circular sharpened “band” blade loop, much like a bandsaw. Soon to be replaced by Trac II and a monotony of pricy cartridges, Techmatic seemed at the time to be the latest greatest thing – and like the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM), destined to take us places. Alas, unlike the LEM it was not to be. Probably the best thing that can be said is that with Techmatic, there was no loose razor blade floating around in the capsule.

full

The Techmatic has its fans – a few. They are readily available on the bid site for very little … you’ll pay more for a “band.” I got three for $10.

full

Schick soon followed with its Schick Auto Band Razor. Cleverly, Schick put the winder on the band cartridge itself, whereas Gillette put its winder on the back of the razor. As a result – and not by accident – you can use the Schick cartridge in a Techmatic or their own razor – but you cannot put a Techmatic cart in the Schick razor (or you’ll have no way to wind it!). More clever = Schick. Anyways.

full

Here we go! The point of all this!

To honor the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 flight, and these brave men who not only had the courage to go to the moon, but also the courage to shave with Techmatic, I propose the following … (excuse me, Mr. President – hand me that microphone, thanks).

“I propose we shave with the Gillette Techmatic, NOT for a decade (but only from July 16, 2019 to July 20, 2019 – the four days from liftoff to landing), until we return safely to other (and way-better) razors on Earth.

“We shave with the Techmatic, because it is there. To honor humanity’s greatest achievement, which is the moon landing, and NOT the Techmatic (to be clear).

“To shave for (only) four days as Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Mike Collins did … with a poor razor but hope in our hearts and representing the best face in engineering (but not razor engineering) planet Earth has to offer.”

full

I am starting this thread one month out, in order that other courageous explorers have time to find a Techmatic and a band for it. Schick will do, I think (and many say the Schick is the better blade). Not asking anyone to shave without running water, as the astros did, or with brushless cream (gross) which, according to reports, horribly clogged their razors. Luckily the LEM and the capsule’s parachutes worked better than the brushless cream.

Do you have the courage to shave as they did?
Rockets blow up, and Techmatics can cut you. One of mine has a nice wave in the old blade it came with.

Forumites: Who is with me on this tribute-journey, as we recall man’s greatest adventure?

What brave B&B-ers will take that first step with Neil, Buzz and Mike?

@ajkel64 @razorboi - You guys onboard?

Pledge yourself to shave with Gillette Techmatic from July 16-20.

Humanity is watching.

AA

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Shave with a Techmatic again? No thanks. I already gave blood.

Hats off to the brave astronauts who used the damn things, though!

BTW, great shaving cabinet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Shave with a Techmatic again? No thanks. I already gave blood.

Hats off to the brave astronauts who used the damn things, though!

BTW, great shaving cabinet.

Well, thanks!

Ok, we can count on Whilliam for moral support ... haven't actually used a Techmatic yet, myself; heard they're ... not good ... but hey. We know they went to the moon!

AA

I always had the suspicion that they didn't shave much during the mission
589px-Neil_Armstrong.jpg

Now, during the quarantine... that´s another story
600px-President_Nixon_welcomes_the_Apollo_11_astronauts_aboard_the_U.S.S._Hornet.jpg

PS. Nice cabinet indded...

I don't have a Techmatic, but if I had one I'd do it just for the hell of it! Although, I learned the (very) basics with a VDH TTO and their provided 'ice tempered' blades. Not entirely pleasant, I assure you . . . might a Techmatic shave be similar?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That was a defining moment in my life. Alas, I'm not in possession of those wonderful razors. I will mark the occasion by rereading Heinlein' s classic "The Man Who Sold the Moon" for the millionth time, followed by "Requeim" or however it's spelled.

I visited the Air & Space Museum in D.C. over Memorial Day weekend and a significant part is closed for renovations, including the personal items from Apollo 11.

BTW, nice collection of vintage Avon!!!!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I don't have a Techmatic, but if I had one I'd do it just for the hell of it! Although, I learned the (very) basics with a VDH TTO and their provided 'ice tempered' blades. Not entirely pleasant, I assure you . . . might a Techmatic shave be similar?

Don't know - can't hardly wait! :001_unsur Sorta.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That was a defining moment in my life. Alas, I'm not in possession of those wonderful razors. I will mark the occasion by rereading Heinlein' s classic "The Man Who Sold the Moon" for the millionth time, followed by "Requeim" or however it's spelled.

Me, too - and I am also a yuge RAH fan.

Why not "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress," one of his very best.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I visited the Air & Space Museum in D.C. over Memorial Day weekend and a significant part is closed for renovations, including the personal items from Apollo 11.

BTW, nice collection of vintage Avon!!!!

Ah, haven't seen it in too long ...

Vintage Avon: Yes, the Avon Saturn V is fairly rare, holds 1,969 ounces of Wild Country (of course. Anything cool has WC in it). :letterk1:

AA :001_tt2:

EDIT: there's way more - too much more - in a big Avon box ...

Not much, and not well, with the gear they had!

Thanks.

AA

That and for an 8 day mission "how would they shave?" wasn´t a pressing issue for the design team... I always imagined astronauts sporting full beards during trips, much like old time sailors or the slingshot pilots on "The Expanse"...

MV5BYjA2NGJiZjctNzUzZC00ODU5LWEwYmYtNTgyYmU3OWE3ZWMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMxOTU1MjE@._V1_.jpg

Cheers

I unfortunately don't have a Techmatic, though the model of the Saturn V sure does bring back memories of my childhood! If I remember correctly, there was a lunar module tucked under the nose cone, assuming that's the model from Revell.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I'm in!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's only 5 shaves, what could possibly happen?:117:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I unfortunately don't have a Techmatic, though the model of the Saturn V sure does bring back memories of my childhood! If I remember correctly, there was a lunar module tucked under the nose cone, assuming that's the model from Revell.

That one is Lego; and there is indeed a LEM in the third stage - its legs unfold and everything is well detailed.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm in!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's only 5 shaves, what could possibly happen?:117:

All RIGHT!:a14:

Astronaut No.1 is onboard. Welcome Andrew; do you want the center seat? or the one on the right?

What can happen: I heard Techmatic can carve up your face. But, John Glenn was only looking at 73% launch vehicle success. If these guys can face the unknown, we can shave with a badly-designed moon razor.

One more seat in the capsule ...

AA

Top Bottom