What's new

Montreal shopping list

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I went down to Vasco today as I had some time to kill while I waiting for SWMBO.

Overall, Vasco have good products, some are very expensive and others are not too bad IMO. As an example, they have the Kappus shaving cream for $4.99. Sure, if you buy this cream locally in Germany or even in New Zealand, it's half that price, but, considering that I didn't see it anywhere else, it's not too bad.

Other things such as the Muhle Shaving soap is $30 without the bowl (puck only). I thought that was too much. There are new and used Straight Razors, the least expensive was $100 and the most was $305. I do not think that I will buy anything there. The selection of the shaving brushes was very impressive but did not notice the prices.

They had the full line of Marvis but as $11.99 per tube (I think that Adonis sells it for less). Proraso was also there. From memory, the shave soap was a better deal there than Pharmaprix or Jean Coutu.

Other than that, Mont St-Michel eau de cologne was also there.

I updated Wiki with this above information!

Luc

Staff member
I went to 2 different places today and got to report back (I updated wiki and added the other one: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Quebec_Shopping_and_Suppliers)

First place, Librairie Espagnole (a.k.a Librairie Espanola in wiki) on St-Laurent...

They still have Floid under the counter (Saw today) for $19.95 from memory. They also had Agua Puig next to it. It's a nice, small, Spanish grocery.

Next place is a few doors down called 'La Vieille Europe' - 3855 St-Laurent Montreal, H2W 1X9 - (514) 842-5773

This one is like an Italian/French deli. They had an excellent selection teas and coffee, cheeses, cold cuts, balsamic vinegar, etc... They also had at the back some Proraso (old formula) and Marvis toothpaste ($7.99 for a tube).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Vasco cigar store brief unhappy review. Not sure if this thread is still active.
The store moved one block away on same street. Totally underwhelmed. Located one bookcase of shave stuff. Nothing that great. Got to smell Florida water. Not for me. Got Lea cream. Some proaso. Not the entire line and more shelf space devoted to can cream. Then located one more case with brushes and razors behind locked glass. A usual shopping turn off for me. Quick scan to see parker brushes. Then another several locked cases behind a counter so I was about 5 feet away from locked glass. Shave soap under lock and key? Seriously? Felt like a museum. Sakes clerk at counter fooling with stock. Ignored me. After a few minutes of peering in from long distance I gave up. Regret buying anything. Will try the Lea later on. Do not recommended this store.

Luc

Staff member
Vasco cigar store brief unhappy review. Not sure if this thread is still active.
The store moved one block away on same street. Totally underwhelmed. Located one bookcase of shave stuff. Nothing that great. Got to smell Florida water. Not for me. Got Lea cream. Some proaso. Not the entire line and more shelf space devoted to can cream. Then located one more case with brushes and razors behind locked glass. A usual shopping turn off for me. Quick scan to see parker brushes. Then another several locked cases behind a counter so I was about 5 feet away from locked glass. Shave soap under lock and key? Seriously? Felt like a museum. Sakes clerk at counter fooling with stock. Ignored me. After a few minutes of peering in from long distance I gave up. Regret buying anything. Will try the Lea later on. Do not recommended this store.
I was a bit disappointed too last time I went there. It was something like a few days before they moved...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Went to a pharmacy (forget name) on st Catherine. Women's makeup on first floor. Upstairs more conventional drug store. Small shaving section. No Canadian products. No booster they had aqua velva musk. Old spice. Proaso can cream.
Later went to Mr steer to drown my sorrows with yummy burgers