What's new

Monthly Video Herf

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Discussing the possibility of having a semi-regular video Herf that any Brown Leaf Denizen can join.
I'm looking at several options here:

Zoom
Allows non-zoom members to join the conference by clicking a supplied link.
Advantage: Up to 100 attendees
Disadvantage: $150 a year cost for the host. A paid up Individual has to host the conference each time.

Microsoft Teams
Allows non-Microsoft Team members to join the conference by clicking a supplied link.
Advantage: I have access to this. Though invitees are limited to 20, I doubt we would ever see that number.
Disadvantage: I'm not that familiar with the software. A Microsoft Team Member must host the conference each time, meaning me.

Allows non-Skype members to join the conference by clicking a supplied link.
Advantage: Free to use. Up to 100 attendees. Anyone can host.
Disadvantage: Must sign up and download the App or the Desktop Software in order to host. Call limited to 30 hours (I'm not sure that's really a disadvantage).

I'll do some test runs with a couple of folks and report back on results.

I can say that having attended two of the Zoom meetings, it was pretty intuitive and easy to use. I had no major issues in logging in to a meeting, and the audio and video quality was quite good. It took a few minutes to get used to the method of visualizing the Team members, as whoever is talking is shown in video, but no other members of the call are shown, only the person generating "noise".

I am unsure how Microsoft teams and Skype handles this, I have not been on a Microsoft Teams Conference in ages.

I have not been on a Skype Video Conference with more than two people. I know the quality of the video and audio for the video calls between myself and my wife were great when she recently visited the Philippines. Very infrequently I had a mild audio glitch where I had to turn off, then turn back on the audio.

Future discussions should include rotational times and days of the week that are more accessible for a larger number of the Brown Leaf, accounting for the International and Time Zone differences, as well as work schedules.

If we roll some of the times and days of the week, members may be able to join one call, but have to miss the next one due to scheduling, but overall a larger number of people will likely be able to attend several a year if it's a rotational monthly deal.

I'm IN!

I host a daily Herf on my Teams account.

We can use that account for the B&B Herf if you want.

I can set up the Teams meeting in such a way that anyone can start the meeting.

Let me know.

-jeremy

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Appreciate the input and support.
Ideally, we would be best served by not having a "guy" as the focal point, but to rely instead on a process.
Best practice would be to work out a simple procedure that anyone could follow to initiate or participate in a video call.
None of us are forever, and people's situations change.
A process that any Brown Leaf member could read, and with minimal effort, start a call would be better in the long run.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
It took a few minutes to get used to the method of visualizing the Team members, as whoever is talking is shown in video, but no other members of the call are shown, only the person generating "noise".
There should be a setting that allows you to see everyone, at least there was the last time I was on a Zoom call, it’s been a while.

There should be a setting that allows you to see everyone, at least there was the last time I was on a Zoom call, it’s been a while.
Should be a small icon of boxes in the upper left corner. Clicking on that permits view change to Gallery which will show as many as can fit on the screen.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Discussing the possibility of having a semi-regular video Herf that any Brown Leaf Denizen can join.
I'm looking at several options here:

Zoom
Allows non-zoom members to join the conference by clicking a supplied link.
Advantage: Up to 100 attendees
Disadvantage: $150 a year cost for the host. A paid up Individual has to host the conference each time.

Microsoft Teams
Allows non-Microsoft Team members to join the conference by clicking a supplied link.
Advantage: I have access to this. Though invitees are limited to 20, I doubt we would ever see that number.
Disadvantage: I'm not that familiar with the software. A Microsoft Team Member must host the conference each time, meaning me.

Allows non-Skype members to join the conference by clicking a supplied link.
Advantage: Free to use. Up to 100 attendees. Anyone can host.
Disadvantage: Must sign up and download the App or the Desktop Software in order to host. Call limited to 30 hours (I'm not sure that's really a disadvantage).

I'll do some test runs with a couple of folks and report back on results.

I can say that having attended two of the Zoom meetings, it was pretty intuitive and easy to use. I had no major issues in logging in to a meeting, and the audio and video quality was quite good. It took a few minutes to get used to the method of visualizing the Team members, as whoever is talking is shown in video, but no other members of the call are shown, only the person generating "noise".

I am unsure how Microsoft teams and Skype handles this, I have not been on a Microsoft Teams Conference in ages.

I have not been on a Skype Video Conference with more than two people. I know the quality of the video and audio for the video calls between myself and my wife were great when she recently visited the Philippines. Very infrequently I had a mild audio glitch where I had to turn off, then turn back on the audio.

Future discussions should include rotational times and days of the week that are more accessible for a larger number of the Brown Leaf, accounting for the International and Time Zone differences, as well as work schedules.

If we roll some of the times and days of the week, members may be able to join one call, but have to miss the next one due to scheduling, but overall a larger number of people will likely be able to attend several a year if it's a rotational monthly deal.
Jitsi is free, open source, no time limits, doesn't route the conference through questionable countries and works great.

I use it every week to run a hybrid in person/online meeting with ~8 people online and ~8 people in person.

If you want, I'll set up a test.

All I do is send a link. Folks click on the link and join.

Top Bottom