What's new

Monthly consumable price for YOU?

We all know that you can get a good set of tools to shave for a very decent amount of money - so I started wondering "what about the consumables?"

Here is my consumable list:
30 shaves a month-

3 shaves per blade = 10 blades mo. lab preps (100 pack = 17.00 on WCS): $1.70
Shave Soap: (at least) 3 months on DR Harris Arlington (15.00 per puck WCS): $5.00
Aftershave: Mandom/Lucido/Old Spice (two months, at $12.00 locally): $6.00
Witch Hazel: Generic CVS branded, about $3.00 - havent used one up yet: <$1.00

Total Cost: <$14.00

This is assuming my Arlington puck lasts 1.5 more months (1.5 months in, looks to be half gone) and my aftershave (half gone mandom, liberally used for 1 month) will last as long as I expect them to.

Anyone have any numbers drastically different? I'm contemplating dropping the aftershave totally and changing my soap to Arko (15 sticks for $20.00, 1 stick a month maximum) - Total cost would come down to less than $5.00!!

I thought it was interesting that the highest per month cost comes from my aftershave..:ohmy: I hope I'm not using so much that I smell like a walking man-dom factory :w00t:

Anyway, of course this is ignoring all of the ADs you acquire from this great forum:closedeye...

and just for giggles, my daily tools consist of:

Gillette Slim: $30.00 (lasts forever?)
Old Spice Mug: $15.00 (trying not to drop this)
Omega Mighty Midget: $10.00 (I use this over my simpson wee scot and commodore)

How about you guys?

$3 worth of Feathers blades
$2 worth of nivea shaving cream or whatherver soap I'm using
$3 worth of Witch Hazel or Nivea aftershave balm

I thought it was interesting that the highest per month cost comes from my aftershave..:ohmy: I hope I'm not using so much that I smell like a walking man-dom factory :w00t:

I think it's true to say that aftershave is the consumable used up most quickly. For me, this is particularly true of the splashes. I haven't measured how long it takes me to use up a bottle, but it is noticeably longer than things like the soap.

Never really thought about it! Once I've paid I've paid end of story! Life's pleasures usually cost,when I can not afford I simply do not buy!
Enjoy Your Shave!

It's got to be low. Blades cost me less than a dollar a month, and my favorite AS this summer has been Aqua Velva! But I stopped trying to tell myself how much money I was saving after I hit 30 soaps and 10 brushes. :blushing:

5 shaves per blade = 6 blades mo. 7 O'clock Blacks(70 pack = 12.00 on ebay): $1.02
Shave Cream: La Toja, Musgo, Irisch Moos (at least 6 months, $10.31 avg WCS): $2.57
Alum: Razorock (at least 1 year, at $5.99 WCS): $0.50
Aftershave: Musgo ASB (at least 6 months, at $23 WCS): $3.83

Total cost: $7.92

Daily Tools:
Razor: Gillette 1938 Senator(rhodium plated): $88 (ouch!)
Mug: EJ Apothecary: $23
Brush: Elite Razor Malachite: $85

Haha...awesome thread, but I have so many soaps, creams, and aftershaves that this would be nearly impossible to calculate. I change aftershaves daily sometimes, and seldom use an soap/ shaving cream for more than a week at a time.

Yes I get bored easily. :001_tt2::001_tt2:

Last edited:
Haha...assume thread, but I have so many soaps, creams, and aftershaves that this would be nearly impossible to calculate. I change aftershaves daily sometimes, and seldom use an soap/ shaving cream for more than a week at a time.

My problem to get the calculation correct looks much like this.

There is yet another problem; my den has much in common with the universe as it is expanding faster than it is decreasing. The actually used products per month will be pretty low (I used a lot of Florida Water this year) but when I divide my yearly spendings by 12 the outcome is significantly higher.

Haha...awesome thread, but I have so many soaps, creams, and aftershaves that this would be nearly impossible to calculate. I change aftershaves daily sometimes, and seldom use an soap/ shaving cream for more than a week at a time.

Is it crazy to admit that I have an excel sheet where I keep tabs on usage for each shave. From that log, I have another sheet that has a total breakdown of how many times I've used each product I own. Then I also have a sheet that includes the price I've paid for each product I own since most of the stuff I buy is off the BST and is crazy cheap compared to buying new.

I have quite a bit of stuff that I've yet to actually use up a product. At some point I'll be able to tell you how many shaves I got from every item and tell you how much I spent per shave per item. I'm nuts... but I like statistics.

OS Aftershave - $6.00 (Usually lasts me more than a month)
Puck of Williams - $1.50
Razor Blades - $0.00 (I use a straight razor)
Tap water - $0.00

$7.50 per month +/-

I should really try to buy OS in bulk to get that number down.

Top Bottom