What's new

Mont Blanc - Too much? Too Soon?

I'm on an inevitable migration to fountain pens, and have tentative plans to drop by the LA Pen Show to see what suits my fancy.

I have used Mont Blanc Rollerballs and Ballpoints virtually everyday for nearly 30 years, and love the size, weight, quality, etc..

Where I work there is a reward site that offers merchandise, etc. Over the past several years I've amassed a significant number of points.

I searched the site this morning, and find that I can pick up a Meisterstuck Classique or LeGrand, for less than 20% of the points I've accumulated.

On one hand, I'm tempted to hold off, pick up a starter (like a Pilot Metropolitan) just to get my feet wet, then potentially migrate to MB if the FP habit "sticks".

On the other hand, I have plenty of points, which can't be converted to cash, and a great opportunity to own what seems to be a far better writing instrument.

Should I go with the more conservative approach, or just go for it (e.g. pick up a MB)? If the latter, I'm curious as to the difference between the two models (other than price). Haven't found much info on either one of these, as most everyone raves about the 149.

What say you, masters of the Nib?

For $15 bucks, I would try the Metropolitan for a week before you burn all those points. I doubt that the Mont Blanc's will be gone in a week or two.

FWIW, I think the Classique is a cartridge/converter pen and the Le Grand (which I am assuming is the 146) is a piston filler. I would prefer the piston filler, but you may prefer a pen that accepts cartridges since you have been using rollerball/ballpoint pens all these years

I have often wondered the same sort of thing. I will watch this thread to see what others say. I now own a pilot metro and love it, and while I am sure more expensive pens are better (in some way or other) I can't help but wonder if the price difference is worth it. Having said that I have often been told, and found it to be true, buy the best you can afford. It is worth it generally speaking. All this from a noob of course. Good luck,
Prophoss

I'm not sure how you 'point system' works but if you can get a Montblanc for basically nothing then that would be a steal. The 149 is a really big pen with a big nib but a terrific writer. The 146 is a bit smaller. If you can get to a pen store then I'd bring some of my favourite paper and sit down for some road tests. If you are not absolutely sure, there are some other fine options in that price range as I am sure others with tell you.

Well, if you have no plans to use the points on anything else, I say what the heck, get both!!!
I'm sure if you don't like one or both you could put them up on the BST and make some cash from them to invest in a different pen....
But that's just my 2¢.
I believe there is also a BST type forum on the fountain pen network. That's a forum dedicated to everything writing related.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
P.s. if you want money instead of points, you can get one and I'll give you a couple bucks for it... Haha :)

Maybe another factor to consider is whether there are other fountain pens available with this points system of yours. If there are, and if you mention the models, someone might have an opinion on those vs. Montblancs.

I think in your situation, I'd go with the Montblancs, but then, I'm already hooked on fountain pens. I'm in a minority that doesn't like the Pilot Metro, finding it uncomfortable to hold, but of course there are other good starter pens in that general price range. The only Montblancs I have are a couple of used ones, discontinued models from the late 1970s, great pens, but rather different from the ones you're looking at. Personally, I'd never pay what a new Montblanc costs (for any pen), but if I could get one through some awards system like the one you have, I'd go for it.

But then again, I don't know what else you could get with those points.

Maybe another factor to consider is whether there are other fountain pens available with this points system of yours. If there are, and if you mention the models, someone might have an opinion on those vs. Montblancs.

I think in your situation, I'd go with the Montblancs, but then, I'm already hooked on fountain pens. I'm in a minority that doesn't like the Pilot Metro, finding it uncomfortable to hold, but of course there are other good starter pens in that general price range. The only Montblancs I have are a couple of used ones, discontinued models from the late 1970s, great pens, but rather different from the ones you're looking at. Personally, I'd never pay what a new Montblanc costs (for any pen), but if I could get one through some awards system like the one you have, I'd go for it.

But then again, I don't know what else you could get with those points.

Good point, thanks!

I looked them up, and here is the lineup:

Montegrappa Parolo - 134 points
Aurora Ipsilon - 161 points
Otto Hutt Sterling - 217 points
Meisterstuck Classlique - 233 points
Meisterstuck LeGrand - 434 points

I plan to do a bit of research on some of the others, but all opinions welcomed!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In for a penny, in for a pound.

I suspect that your established admiration for MB writing instruments will lead you to the MB FP sooner or later, and any money spent "getting your toes wet" will be ... well, not "wasted" but ... a mere delay of the inevitable.

Oh yes, and we want your job! :lol:

Be careful what you wish for! Those points came from 14 hour days over many many weeks, with 6 work days in them!

Actually, with the right qualifications, you could work for my company, but you'd have to move to Amsterdam ... or Brussels.

The 146 "LeGrand" is a great pen. If you want it, and this is basically nothing for a pen that costs $700-so new and $300-$400 used, I'd say go for it.

Good point, thanks!

I looked them up, and here is the lineup:

Montegrappa Parolo - 134 points
Aurora Ipsilon - 161 points
Otto Hutt Sterling - 217 points
Meisterstuck Classlique - 233 points
Meisterstuck LeGrand - 434 points

I plan to do a bit of research on some of the others, but all opinions welcomed!

Get the Meisterstuck LeGrand! You could give this pen to your grandchildren with proper care, can you do that with anything else you could get for 434 points?

Be careful what you wish for! Those points came from 14 hour days over many many weeks, with 6 work days in them!

Actually, with the right qualifications, you could work for my company, but you'd have to move to Amsterdam ... or Brussels.
Consulting company? Sounds like it :)

Definitely get the LeGrand. The size is actually that of a normal pen as well, rather than a crayon. If you're worried about whether or not you'll like writing with a FP, just go to Office Depot and get you a cheap one with cartridges. Within 5 min of writing, you will know, although its not really any different.

PS
If you're looking to 'exhaust' points and feeling like throwing one my way, just let me know and I'll be sure to send you my address. I'll even pay for shipping! :lol:

You know what? I wouldn't normally think twice about acquiring a MB fountain pen - but that decision is 100% based on cost. I have been using fountain pens since the late 1990's - and have never spent more than $100. Although I have a small flock of Pelikans (4) which were all previously owned, but one was NOS. But if I could spend 20% of my hard earned points and get a 146? In a heartbeat. I have never tried a MB. You on the other hand are a long time MB user, so this is just the next logical step for you. You could still get you a Metropolitan or other Pilot - just to see what it is like. Japanese nibs are a bit different than Western and aren't for everyone. My vote is to go for it.

OK, I'm pulling the trigger on the LeGrand in the morning. Stopped by Staples for a Metropolitan on the way home from work, and they don't carry in store, only online. To me, that's a sign that I should just "get the pens" as Eeyore (and others) suggest.

So, I'm just going to take the plunge. I appreciate the advice, and agree that my affinity for MBs will eventually lead to a pen like this anyway.

A stop by WCS on Saturday is therefore called for in order to obtain proper writing accessories (see attached picture) $Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 7.44.44 PM.png

For those offering to help relieve me of my points and/or goods available for same, I will take this under advisement, and exercise a benevolent act like this if/when the mood strikes. I do appreciate your offers!

Last edited:
I was going to suggest the Legrand too, so I'm glad that's the route you went in the end. Enjoy it! I'm sure it will be a fantastic pen. Have you chosen a bottle of ink yet? If not, I highly recommend Pelikan, Diamine, Pilot Iroshizuku, and of course, Montblanc.

-Andy

Top Bottom