What's new

Mont Blanc Meisterstück - EF and/or stub?

Having used Kawecos with EF nibs for the last couple of years (lovely pens!) I am considering to bring my MB Meisterstück back into rotation.

However, it has a medium nib which I now find grotesquely broad in use. So am considering replacing the nib with an EF nib, or potentially the thinnest of stubs (don’t know what that is nowadays)…

Anyone got any intel or experiences? Would be grately appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Depending on the model of Meisterstück you've got this could be a pretty expensive nib swap. Montblanc doesn't make it easy for the casual user to change the nib either.

Do you have small handwriting? Maybe try a fine point, I've got one one a 146 and it seems pretty darn fine, I'd probably have trouble with an EF I think.

To have the nib ground to a narrower profile would be the easiest but you'd want to find a really experienced professional to work on such a nice gold nib. Good luck.

edit: maybe a drier ink, like Pelikan 4001 would help lessen the flow for a finer line. Just a thought.

I have a classique and a Le grand both in xf. The le grand has a bigger nib but writes much finer than my classique.
Either way I’m very pleased with both and for me a xf nib is just perfect.
Which pen do you have?

Thanks Doug and Basil. Good advice on the drier ink, Doug.

I am embarassed to say that I am not sure which model I have. It is one of the composer ones, forget which one but it has platinum clip and bands.

Starting to think about this (= growing the obsession) I looked at ebay and am now considering instead to acquire a burgundy/bordeaux 144 with EF nib; I like smaller and lighther pens in general And the looks of this are quite stunning.

Thanks Doug and Basil. Good advice on the drier ink, Doug.

I am embarassed to say that I am not sure which model I have. It is one of the composer ones, forget which one but it has platinum clip and bands.

Starting to think about this (= growing the obsession) I looked at ebay and am now considering instead to acquire a burgundy/bordeaux 144 with EF nib; I like smaller and lighther pens in general And the looks of this are quite stunning.
The Robert Oster ink I have is much drier than the Pilot ink that came with my Metropolitan. It wrote a very fine line (fine nib). The Monteverde ink I put in the same pen after the Oster ran out writes what looks like a medium line. I am new at this, but I learned the ink makes a huge difference in the width of the line the same nib will put down.

Top Bottom