What's new

Monster lather brushes?

I recently purchased WCS silvertip tortoise shell brush. I'm sure most of you guys have this same issue since I'm positive there are brushes that are even bigger than what I have. It's a 24 MM knot and it takes no smaller than a quarter sized amount of cream. It's very picky about the cream it wants.

I have GFT Violet, Proraso Sandalwood, Truefitt & Hill 1805 and Trafalgar and Tabula Rasa December creams.

What irritates me is that I have to use more product for each pass. Not sure how you guys Simpsons chubby's deal with this issue. I also soak my brush in tolerable hot water and let out the excess drain.

I'm not sure where you get the impression that a 24mm knot is a "monster", as it is the standard size knot for most brushes. I have a Striling 26mm, a RR 28mm Beehive, and the RR 34mm F400 and like all of them. I am not sure of the consistency of the creams you mentioned as I have not tried them, however with the creams that I do have an use, what I do is to use it like a shaving stick. I would first just dampen the tip of my "monster" brush, then wet my face, put a small amount on my fingers and work it into my face going against the grain. I would them wipe the residue from my fingers into the tip of the brush and face lather with the brush dipping the tips into a bowl of water as I need more water. If done right, I get enough on my brush to last me three passes and don't use us any more cream than if I would bowl lather with a smaller brush (like a 24mm).

If you have to re-load for every pass than you're doing it wrong. A quarter size dollop of cream will easily last me 4 passes and then some. I only use 26 and 28mm brushes. Maybe add some more water.

I had a 26mm WCS Silvertip that was the opposite. With half as much cream, it was an explosion of lather and did not seem picky. Thus, I would agree with the more water suggestions.

I recently purchased WCS silvertip tortoise shell brush. I'm sure most of you guys have this same issue since I'm positive there are brushes that are even bigger than what I have. It's a 24 MM knot and it takes no smaller than a quarter sized amount of cream. It's very picky about the cream it wants.

I have GFT Violet, Proraso Sandalwood, Truefitt & Hill 1805 and Trafalgar and Tabula Rasa December creams.

What irritates me is that I have to use more product for each pass. Not sure how you guys Simpsons chubby's deal with this issue. I also soak my brush in tolerable hot water and let out the excess drain.

My impression from the 2 silvertips of the same brand i have, is that silvertips, being soft, eat lather easier than other brushes. Also, the bigger the brush, the more soap it requires. This said, i agree with the previous posters, that having the cream last only 1 pass, is abnormal and indicates lack of water and not enough swirling.

Finally, if you really care about low soap consumption, you should have picked a synthetic. There is no comparison vs any hair brush. A 24mm synthetic, will probably do the job with half the soap of your silvertip.

Well, once upon a time brushes were smaller. Look at vintage brushes from the 40s, 50s, 60s, they were certainly more petite than the 24-26mm models of today. (Come to think of it, look at the pickup trucks from the 40s, 50s, 60s... and compare em to current models.) Bigger brushes (and trucks) are in fashion.

Well, once upon a time brushes were smaller. Look at vintage brushes from the 40s, 50s, 60s, they were certainly more petite than the 24-26mm models of today. (Come to think of it, look at the pickup trucks from the 40s, 50s, 60s... and compare em to current models.) Bigger brushes (and trucks) are in fashion.

True. Maybe this way they can justify higher price? Could be... I think the silvertips because of their tendency to open up easily on the face, feel bigger than the same size knots of different grade knots, that retain more backbone.

What brushes are you comparing it to?

I don't use creams, but soaps. I have no problem with my Chubby 3 in super.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My experience is that denser and larger brushes need more product!

Learning to get the best from your kit is part of the fun IMO! :a29:

Top Bottom