What's new

Monsavon Shaving Soap: A pleasant surprise.

proxy.php

I received this soap yesterday and gave it a go this morning. My first impression is very favorable. It has a softness similar to Proraso soap and performance equal to, or above, Valobra. The scent is a nice soapy one with a citrusy bite. I didn't see the ingredients until I a few minutes ago when I Googled them. I thought there was something a little different about it than the usual veggie based French soaps. Now I see why. I'll continue to see how things go over time with this soap, but I think it will be a keeper. At around 1,50 €, it's dirt cheap at supermarkets in France.

Aqua, Stéaric Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Parfum, Glycerin, Disodium Phosaphte, Coconut Acid, Algin, Sodium Silicate, Pentasolium Pentetate, Solium Chloride, CI 77891.

proxy.php

I received this soap yesterday and gave it a go this morning. My first impression is very favorable. It has a softness similar to Proraso soap and performance equal to, or above, Valobra. The scent is a nice soapy one with a citrusy bite. I didn't see the ingredients until I a few minutes ago when I Googled them. I thought there was something a little different about it than the usual veggie based French soaps. Now I see why. I'll continue to see how things go over time with this soap, but I think it will be a keeper. At around 1,50 €, it's dirt cheap at supermarkets in France.

Aqua, Stéaric Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Parfum, Glycerin, Disodium Phosaphte, Coconut Acid, Algin, Sodium Silicate, Pentasolium Pentetate, Solium Chloride, CI 77891.

Glad to hear you like it! I have one on order but it's costing me substantially more than the price you've stated above. From what I can tell there's only one vendor in the States that carries it and they impose a huge markup. Not like I have much of a choice, tho. :frown:

I got mine today along with some bath soaps :)blush:). Service was great, my only small (very small) niggle is that I'd've liked the bath soaps to be individually wrapped, but that's not a biggie.

As to the Monsavon soap (actually, a very firm cream), I haven't used it yet, but of course, have popped the top... definitely a noticeable (but not unpleasant) lavender scent.

I got mine today along with some bath soaps :)blush:). Service was great, my only small (very small) niggle is that I'd've liked the bath soaps to be individually wrapped, but that's not a biggie.

As to the Monsavon soap (actually, a very firm cream), I haven't used it yet, but of course, have popped the top... definitely a noticeable (but not unpleasant) lavender scent.

I have to retract/modify the above... after a test lather, I don't notice lavender, but rather a lemony scent with a touch of maybe rosemary. fwiw, lavender isn't on the ingredients list (but then, neither is rosemary).

Product not found, must have sold out within 15 minutes after the link was posted. That's the way it goes. The early bird gets the soap.

Product not found, must have sold out within 15 minutes after the link was posted. That's the way it goes. The early bird gets the soap.

look under the "new arrivals" tab from the front page... it's not yet linked in the main collection.

I'm not very fond of this product; it is definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for'. The lather is not very protective and has a tendency to disspate quickly. I gave it a few tries while in France earlier this year, but as it is completely blown away by a quality cream from, say, Bodyshop, I threw it out. For the price, I'd definitely recommend Arko or Nivea over Monsavon.

I'm not very fond of this product; it is definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for'. The lather is not very protective and has a tendency to disspate quickly. I gave it a few tries while in France earlier this year, but as it is completely blown away by a quality cream from, say, Bodyshop, I threw it out. For the price, I'd definitely recommend Arko or Nivea over Monsavon.

Interesting.

I find it to be one of the densest, thickest, finest lathers I've ever encountered.:confused:

I have a puck and think its "ok" no better, no worse.

Definitely worth the $3 I paid in France, definitely not worth the $12 plus shipping this vendor was charging.

I tried Monsavon for the first time today. Just like the OP I was pleasantly surprised at the results this soft soap delivered.

It was a strange experience because the lather was unimpressive but the results were impressive. I added a review in the shaving soap section.

Top Bottom