What's new

Monkey Shoulder Scotch

This is a new brand to me and I must say that I like it. I am usually a single malt guy--neat. However, I wanted a decent blended scotch to make Rusty Nail mixed drinks. To this end it is wonderful. I will try it neat and see what it tastes like compared to a single malt, but it will always be around the house for mixed drinks.

Doess anyone else have experience with this blended scotch?

I suppose it is a blend, but it is a blend of three Grant single malts – Glenfiddich, Balvenie, and Kininvie. Using only single malts, one would expect it to be good and it is.

Legion

Staff member
Yes, Monkey Shoulder is a "malt blend" rather than a "blended scotch". No grain.

It's nice, though quite sweet. It would be a good introductory scotch for newbies.

I like the little metal monkeys on the bottle as well. I always prise them off before I throw out the empty bottle.

It's my go to, regular drinking scotch.. Glad you've figured out the secrets of the monkey! It's a great scotch

Agree with all the above. I usually drink single malt neat but occasionally like a scotch on rocks or a whisky cocktail.. Monkey shoulder is great for both of these. Just the right sweetness for making an Old Fashioned that isn't too sweet AND got making a whisky sour that isn't too sour.

Yes, Monkey Shoulder is a "malt blend" rather than a "blended scotch". No grain.

It's nice, though quite sweet. It would be a good introductory scotch for newbies.

I like the little metal monkeys on the bottle as well. I always prise them off before I throw out the empty bottle.

Monkey Shoulder is a great Scotch whether you're a newbie or an old hand. At around $30 it's great buy for an "everyday" sipper or a mixing Scotch if you want an alternative to JW. Or, if you're a newbie it's a great choice if you don't want to spend a lot of money while easing yourself into the wonderful world of Scotch Whisky.

Granted it is a bit on the sweet side so if you're looking for a smokey or peetey character, it may not be the best choice. But again for price I think it's well worth looking into.

Last edited:
I am very picky about my scotch and I actually like monkey shoulder. It is overly sweet but mixed with lots of ice it's great for hot summer days. I find myself bringing it out for my third or fourth glass of the night so I don't waste money as my taste buds are dead by then anyway.

I am very picky about my scotch and I actually like monkey shoulder. It is overly sweet but mixed with lots of ice it's great for hot summer days. I find myself bringing it out for my third or fourth glass of the night so I don't waste money as my taste buds are dead by then anyway.
+1

At the Glenfiddich distillery they talked about Monkey Shoulder a bit. Name comes from the injury workers suffered by turning the malt, and the three monkeys represent the three different distilleries.
Its a nice whiskey for the price, though by far not my favourite.

I was in Scotland a couple years back....learned many things, including:
-Scots seem to be fairly parochial with their whisky. They tend to primarily drink what is made near to or in the local neighborhood
-Scots (by a huge, huge, margin) drink single malt whisky. Never saw any local order a dram of anything blended the entire time I was there
-Monkey Shoulder is a blend which, as I was told in a rather snarky fashion by a Scottish bartender, is something "they make for Americans"

Being American of course I had to try it...I'll stick with the Ardbeg...

Monkey Shoulder is a Scotch that on my first taste I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, but the rest of the bottle went down extremely easily and it almost became my benchmark for a low cost Speyside. I found that there was a lovely hint of banana on the tongue as well as on the nose and this was something I hadn't found before and I really do want to go and buy another bottle :p Good fairly low cost bottle of Scotch. And as a blend I do class it differently than regular blends due to only containing malt whiskey

Top Bottom