What's new

Monk strap shoes

Thanks for pointing the way to C&J. I love monk straps and, while I've had no problem finding many options in black, have been searching high and low for rslightly higher-end pair in chestnut brown for quite some time now. The C&J Monktons or Malverns look like they just might fit the bill...

just be sure you're aware of C&J sizing. the pair I bought from Bodiley's was too big for my feet and I wound up having to sell them on ebay at a loss.

I've been doing some research on these shoes. C & J does have a store in New York if you're interested in talking to someone there.

to my knowledge, it would actually be more expensive to buy them stateside than buying them direct from the UK. when I bought my C&J Hallams they were about $350 shipped. the mark-up in the US is ridiculous, so if you don't mind ordering them online you could save quite a bit of $

I think you're thinking of P.lal that doesn't ship to the US - I believe they no longer have an account with C&J. as far as I know Pediwear ships worldwide, but i've heard mixed reviews of their company. I ordered my C&J Hallams from http://www.shoesnorthampton.co.uk/index.html and their service was great. just some advice, if you order from either Pediwear or Bodiley's, be sure to email them first and make sure they have what you're looking for in stock. otherwise, you'll have to play the waiting game

Thanks for the info. I see that Bodiley's also carries Alfred Sargent...very interested in them also. I also receive the Ben Silver catalog and completely forgot that they carry C&J but the markup is insane!!

just be sure you're aware of C&J sizing. the pair I bought from Bodiley's was too big for my feet and I wound up having to sell them on ebay at a loss.

I have noticed that I'm having to size-down when ordering shoes that use EU sizing. I wear a 9.5 D US (43.5 EU) and I'm down-sizing to a 42 EU (8.5 US).

I have noticed that I'm having to size-down when ordering shoes that use EU sizing. I wear a 9.5 D US (43.5 EU) and I'm down-sizing to a 42 EU (8.5 US).

Are you sure you are sizing down to 8.5US or are you getting 8.5UK? Which are 1 size difference which you talk about. Also all UK shoes have UK sizing, not US.

Are you sure you are sizing down to 8.5US or are you getting 8.5UK? Which are 1 size difference which you talk about. Also all UK shoes have UK sizing, not US.

I normally wear a 9.5 D US and bought a couple of Italian shoes in a size 42 EU. This was my first experience buying non-US shoes and I was told to size down since they run a little big. The European made shoes seems to fit my feet better (like a glove), not sure whether its the sizing or how the shoe is manufactured.

Last edited:
I prefer to "try b 4 I buy" and Allen Edmonds sizes have run true for me; Alden is another brand worth checking of those stateside.

I prefer to "try b 4 I buy" and Allen Edmonds sizes have run true for me; Alden is another brand worth checking of those stateside.

Yes, I prefer to try before buying also. I'm able to buy Allen Edmonds and Alden shoes for about 30% off retail price and while they are well made shoes, their styling is several decades behind. And that's coming from a middle aged guy. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the info. I see that Bodiley's also carries Alfred Sargent...very interested in them also. I also receive the Ben Silver catalog and completely forgot that they carry C&J but the markup is insane!!

If you like C&J ... and AS ... then consider the Peal & Co. shoes offered by Brooks Bros. They are made by (mostly) AS and (a bit) C&J, and can be a good deal in the US when on sale. At some point in the year, about twice, they'll be 40% off, and then there's always the "discount" section, so playing the waiting game can pay off.

Just be careful about sizes ... they are sold in US sizes, but the shoes are made on varying lasts by two companies, and there is none of this info on the BB website, so ordering 'blind' may be problematic. But if you either can visit a BB store to try on a shoe in person first, or if you don't mind ordering and returning as needed, this can work well.

check out http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/ if you're interested in EG. their prices are gonna be high but LSH has a pretty good reputation among shoe fiends

Great website, thanks. I was searching Yelp a few minutes ago and found a shoe store in my area (Sky Valet Shoes) that carries Edward Green, Alden, AE, Alfred Sargent, C&J, Weston and Locke1880 shoes. I'm excited, they're close to my tailors so I will have to pay them a visit. I was thinking that I would have to go to NYC to find these brands.

Great website, thanks. I was searching Yelp a few minutes ago and found a shoe store in my area (Sky Valet Shoes) that carries Edward Green, Alden, AE, Alfred Sargent, C&J, Weston and Locke1880 shoes. I'm excited, they're close to my tailors so I will have to pay them a visit. I was thinking that I would have to go to NYC to find these brands.

I know some people might scoff at the idea but it might be worth it to visit this store, try on a few pairs of shoes you like, get the sizing and name of the shoe and then order a pair overseas at a cheaper discount

I know some people might scoff at the idea but it might be worth it to visit this store, try on a few pairs of shoes you like, get the sizing and name of the shoe and then order a pair overseas at a cheaper discount

Yes, after comparing prices from US and EU vendors there's question that ordering online from the UK would be save me about 25%. What a markup!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes, after comparing prices from US and EU vendors there's question that ordering online from the UK would be save me about 25%. What a markup!!

And remeber that Uk prices will be discounted to remove the VAT, as well (if you have not already factored that in.)

Of course, you may get dinged by customs once your shipment hits the US, but if not ...

Top Bottom