What's new

Monk Strap Chukka Boots

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Over these past several months, we’ve discussed several types of chukkas like the desert boot (not all chukkas are desert boots but all desert boots are chukkas)

42B7A436-BAAE-4F87-BF52-BDC808CF2895.jpeg

and the playboy chukka.

62119F22-C394-4C41-9E90-13D97C45841E.jpeg

Lately, my interest is piqued by the monk strap chukka.

7679739C-AC4D-45C1-B262-242584D02A5C.jpeg

6A72D721-0C08-4966-A94A-46A52D2556F1.jpeg
9F58F673-EC08-4DA1-B13A-B13087118938.jpeg

This is a chukka style you don’t see all that often. Honestly, the last time I sported a pair of these boots I was in grade school wearing bell bottoms and a neckerchief.

1658948464008.jpeg

(Yea baby!!)

But lately this style of chukka has once again caught my eye but they are certainly not as readily available as many other styles of chukka boots.

This model pictured below, the Madison Square George, was manufactured by Alden had caught my eye.

53ECE945-F6A3-499E-8539-1A7BEDCC8C4A.jpeg

I made an inquiry to Alden Madison of NY and they indicated that they would not be producing this shoe anymore since they were so backed up on other pre-orders that they had to cut some lines out of production.

I’ve begun to search out other brands to see if I can find a pair that ticks all the boxes.

What do you think of this style of boot? Is it outdated? Is it a classic-styled chukka?

Do you own a pair? If so, let’s see ‘em.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My dad had a dress pair, as I recall.... I'd love a pair, but you are correct, I have not seen these in quite a long while....

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I've never seen this chukka style before, but I'm kinda digging it. And not just because they're baby tanker boots. The thing I never liked about regular monk strap shoes is the big flap of leather across the vamp. These look a lot cleaner. Plus, they're not as dainty as jodhpur boots. I like 'em!

FarmerTan

I've never seen this chukka style before, but I'm kinda digging it. And not just because they're baby tanker boots. The thing I never liked about regular monk strap shoes is the big flap of leather across the vamp. These look a lot cleaner. Plus, they're not as dainty as jodhpur boots. I like 'em!
That what I like (I think, lol.)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This past July, I started looking for a chukka boot with a monk strap. The ones I viewed from Alden were either no longer in production or out of stock. I went to the Velasca website and they didn’t have a shoe in this model.

Although I did find a few others, there seemed to be one or two things that prevented me from pulling the trigger.

In August of this year I sent this email to Velasca:

03FE77CC-5D9D-46B2-95BA-399094D677A2.jpeg

In October, I received a promo email from Velasca for this new release:

DF2F844C-B60E-4368-9055-912406D2387E.jpeg

6C82DDC8-C5E7-45C0-AA9D-735BF03A9757.jpeg

These seemed to tick all the boxes for me. They looked perfect. Now, knowing that Velasca usually offers 20% off around the holidays, all I had to do was sit and wait.🤪

Well… the waiting is over. :thumbup1:

Yesterday, I received their 20% off code (vstory20, if you’re interested) and placed my order (saving $70 bucks with the code 👍).

And now, The Redriz in tobacco brown suede is on the way.

Ya see… all you gotta do is ask. 😉🙄😀

When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em. :yesnod:

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What do you think of this style of boot? Is it outdated? Is it a classic-styled chukka?

I own a pair of chukkas. I also own a pair of monk-strap shoes. Somehow, seeing the two things done together in one shoe ... I'm not digging it. Seems confused as to it's identity.

And now, The Redriz in tobacco brown suede is on the way.

Well, oddly, when I see the Velasca offering pictured, they seem to "do it right" far more than the other versions shown earlier. I'm not saying that I'm sold on the concept in general, but ... the Velasca model at least seems a worthy addition to a shoe closet.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I own a pair of chukkas. I also own a pair of monk-strap shoes. Somehow, seeing the two things done together in one shoe ... I'm not digging it. Seems confused as to it's identity.

Well, oddly, when I see the Velasca offering pictured, they seem to "do it right" far more than the other versions shown earlier. I'm not saying that I'm sold on the concept in general, but ... the Velasca model at least seems a worthy addition to a shoe closet.

The Velasca silhouette seems a bit more refined than the other (usually bulbous Alden toe boxes) models above. Delivery has been delayed in France.

FarmerTan

I REALLY like the looks of those shoes.... I don't believe I have worn suede shoes in a LONG time, but I am sure I could rock those... Perhaps in a flat cap? Which I have only felt comfortable in wearing in the last few months.

Those are tempting...!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I REALLY like the looks of those shoes.... I don't believe I have worn suede shoes in a LONG time, but I am sure I could rock those... Perhaps in a flat cap? Which I have only felt comfortable in wearing in the last few months.

Those are tempting...!

You hit the nail on the head. :thumbup1:

Apparently, Velasca thinks this chukka goes well with a flat cap too. 😀

C8153FDD-6673-460D-97CF-481B793F2672.jpeg
FC894D05-2677-44AE-A971-14847910A073.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Apparently, Velasca thinks this chukka ...

I think I have it. The other "munk chukas" are just regular chukas with the lace holes removed and a buckle added ... but retaining the silhouette of the "narrow laced closure" where the shoelaces pull the two flaps close together for the knot ... and now it's the same narrow closure but with a buckle overtop.

Velasca redesigned the look of that part to make it more aesthetically pleasing for the buckle. Muuuuch more a "buckle shoe" than a "lace shoe but we swapped out for a buckle".

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
AC944BAE-6834-42AD-ADA0-F3BB37C9CCAA.jpeg
D3E89626-A349-4FA4-9E92-E9281AD9903E.jpeg
13E36F1A-040C-409B-B062-96273139771E.jpeg
19213C94-E899-4668-9E8A-9090577FCF0C.jpeg
C4562998-6329-475A-9DC5-5D39CD6BC56F.jpeg
6A4A2B26-AB3A-4FA1-9319-5B7232BAAADF.jpeg
05D429BF-5ED5-42FA-92AB-15E6ABABE28A.jpeg
1ABA3CA8-5543-4B2B-9265-282F1A163D88.jpeg
0749EBF5-F448-41CE-8AEB-BB5A74219951.jpeg

It’s an overcast day so the natural lighting not really showing the richness of the greased tobacco suede.

But the color and silhouette (slightly narrower toe box) is just what I was looking for and I am quite pleased and the fit is perfect.

Nicely done, Velasca. :thumbup1:

I have a pair of desert boots from Clarks (the inventor of desert boots) in what could best be described as a cross between dark brown and orange. These shoes are very fun to wear to the office during the summer.

However, I do not have a pair of monk straps (normal or chukka) and there is about a 110% chance that I never will because I am not digging the look at all.

Regarding non-desert chukkas, I am about to buy a pair of Loake Pimlico in dark brown calf.

Overall, though, I'm not a huge fan of chukkas because they restrict you to a very slow pace of walking. I can just imagine me wearing a pair of chukkas while walking my dogs. One of the dogs pull the leash out of my hand and I'd have to chuck the chukkas before I could chase down the dog.

I've got a couple pairs of Chukkas, and a pair of AE monk straps that may be my most comfortable dress/dressy casual shoes I own (before their QC went into the toilet).

these are the first strapped chukkas I've seen, and I kinda dig them.

yes, yes… of course pic…

AFC01924-787E-41D1-86D5-919F3733557D.jpeg

FarmerTan

I've got a couple pairs of Chukkas, and a pair of AE monk straps that may be my most comfortable dress/dressy casual shoes I own (before their QC went into the toilet).

these are the first strapped chukkas I've seen, and I kinda dig them.

yes, yes… of course pic…

View attachment 1568402
That IS an attractive shoe my friend! You could rock those in khakis or jeans or cords or even dress pants. Very nice.

Top Bottom