What's new

Mongoose Razor Tour/Pass Around

I did not shave today, nor will I tomorrow, or Saturday until the Goose shows up. I'm excited for the chance to try something new!

What a bummer. The tracking says it was expected today but it hasn't been scanned since leaving an Atlanta sorting center. I will keep watching for it!

Edit: 11pm local time, the tracking shows it has arrived in Phoenix, so I should have it for a Monday night shave!

Last edited:
The Goose arrived today, very securely packaged. The razor and Ikon handle are beautiful, the photos don't give the satin finish enough credit. The construction is very solid and machining looks great; and compared to my Muhle razor, this handle is a beast!

Shave #1:
Feather Pro blade
Palmolive stick
AoS Sandalwood balm

This is only my second time with an SE blade (the first being a test run with a GEM) and I much preferred the Mongoose! I figured I would start middle-of-the-road with the Feather blade and I'm glad because it is a milder razor than I expected (based on that GEM).

I didn't get a shave as close as my Muhle R89 gets in three passes, but I'm pretty sure that's an angle thing since I've been using the EJ for pushing two years and "know it". The heavier handle makes it easier to shave with no pressure. It's going to be an interesting week!

Shave # 2 was the same as #1. Again I'm impressed by the weight and feel of stainless but the shave wasn't very close. I am sure they would be improvement over time but at the moment I'm having a hard time with it. I think the sweet spot is very narrow.

I'm going to switch to the Super Pro blades next to see if it helps. Oh and speaking of blades, do these last a long time? I looked them up and they are more than double the price of Feather DE, which makes them eight times more expensive than my Astras.

Shave #3
Soap - Palmolive stick
Blade - Feather Pro
Aftershave - TOBS Eton College

The Feather Pro gave me a closer shave for sure, but introduced irritation, too. I like the larger length of the Mongoose blade, but when three passes leave more stubble than my DE (excluding my typical trouble areas) I can't really say I'm loving it.

Shaves #4 and #5 were improvements. I still had issues in my normal trouble spot, but I was better at finding the angle. And I like how 'verbal' the Mongoose is giving audible feedback.

But my time with it is done. I, like everyone else, really appreciate the chance to try such a nice piece of equipment. But I will stick to my DE, and if I ever upgrade my Muhle, it will definitely be stainless thanks to this experiment.

First shave with the Mongoose. I think that it is very nice. It has a nice hefty feel due to the large blade and stainless head and handle. It is very well machined to hold the blade in place very accurately. Interesting that it is designed for the Artist Club injector blades. To use the blades, you open up the 3 piece razor slide the blade out of the injector, carefully install the blade over over the machined tabs that fit in the blade's slots and then re-assemble the 3 piece razor. It does work, but more effort and handling of the blade than a Schick injector. And, a larger blade than a Schick injector. I used the Kai Captain mild blade for the first shave. It worked very well, but not quite BBS. I will try one of the more aggressive blades and report again.

Another couple of shaves on the Mongoose. I am still impressed by the mass of this razor. It is very solid and hefty. I did another shave with the Kai Captain milds and had a nice shave, and had a very nice not quite BBS shave. I switched to the Feather Pro plus blade. This is a bit more aggressive shave. Not quite as comfortable for me and I got a couple of small weepers each time I used it. However, it does provide a BBS. I probably could have been a little more careful with it. I plan on switching to an intermediate blade tomorrow and continuing. I probably need to start looking up the next person in line and getting their address as well. I plan on sending it on its way this weekend. The soap for all of these shaves has been Mitchell's Wool Fat and then Gentleman Jon's Alum Block and Pernaud's aftershave.

I almost hate to admit this, but I will. I decided to try the Feather Professional blade this morning. So, I installed the blade and re-assembled the razor. .I did my usual prep with Mitchell's wool fat and started shaving. It seemed kind of harsh. So, I opened it up and re-assembled it and it still seemed harsh so I continued. Toward the end of the shave, I even got a tiny nick on my lip which never happens. So, I started doing my clean up and when I was drying off the razor, I noticed that the cap was twisted slightly. Oops. So, I aligned it properly to feel if it was smoother and yes it was. Tomorrow, I will try and see if it shaves somewhere between the Kai Captain Mild and the Feather Pro Plus.

Much better shave today. I should expect with it properly assembled. Of the three blades that I have tried with the Mongoose, I think that I like the Feather Professional best. It gives a very close BBS shave without being harsh. I have tried the Kai Captain Mild and the Feather Pro Plus. The Kai was just a little bit too mild and the Pro Plus was a touch harsh for me. Again, I used the Mitchell wool fat soap and finished up with the Gentleman Jon Alum Bar and Pinaud's Clubman after shave. After the shave today, I did not feel any stinging with either the Alum bar or the after shave, while still achieving a BBS. So, I would say that it is just about perfect for me. I bought a trial set of blades from TryABlade so that I could feel free to trying as many blades as I wanted. I think that I will do one more shave with the Feather Professional and send it on to the next user. I have enjoyed trying the Mongoose. However, for me, I think that it is a little heavy and based on my experience yesterday, a little more difficult to make sure that it is assembled properly that a lot of other razors. Again, having said that, if you pay attention it isn't that hard and once assembled it does give a very nice shave.

Much better shave today. I should expect with it properly assembled. Of the three blades that I have tried with the Mongoose, I think that I like the Feather Professional best. It gives a very close BBS shave without being harsh. I have tried the Kai Captain Mild and the Feather Pro Plus. The Kai was just a little bit too mild and the Pro Plus was a touch harsh for me. Again, I used the Mitchell wool fat soap and finished up with the Gentleman Jon Alum Bar and Pinaud's Clubman after shave. After the shave today, I did not feel any stinging with either the Alum bar or the after shave, while still achieving a BBS. So, I would say that it is just about perfect for me. I bought a trial set of blades from TryABlade so that I could feel free to trying as many blades as I wanted. I think that I will do one more shave with the Feather Professional and send it on to the next user. I have enjoyed trying the Mongoose. However, for me, I think that it is a little heavy and based on my experience yesterday, a little more difficult to make sure that it is assembled properly that a lot of other razors. Again, having said that, if you pay attention it isn't that hard and once assembled it does give a very nice shave.

The newer version of the Mongoose has pins that completely extend thru the bottom plate pretty much eliminating improper assembly.

Thanks for the updated information on this. That would help me consider it. I came across another Stainless Steel single edge that is being developed called the single edge. It is about half the price of the mongoose and uses, I believe, the Schick injector style blades.

Last edited:
Good afternoon, Gentlemen.

I was the recipient today of the Mongoose Pass. It was sitting in my mailbox when I got home. Understand that, as an old dog, I used a DE for many years. When the Bic came out in the early 70's, I got lazy and started using it. I used an orange Bic up until today.

Here are the first three things that happened when I received the much-anticipated Mongoose.

1.) I opened the package to inspect the razor and the blades
2.) I marveled at the quality and elegance of the Mongoose
3.) I soiled myself

This is a beautiful creation. Very well milled and constructed. Heavy, but in a good way.

So, into my bathroom to shave with my buddies Martin, Chubby, Alum and Chanel. I popped in a Kai, as I wanted to make sure that I allowed myself some leeway for learning a different angle and pressure level while, at the same time, leaving my face intact. I generally do a 4-pass, and I typically shave every three days. I work out of my home and rarely need to shave two days running. Using a 4-pass, even a Bic provides a decent shave.

I have been looking forward to trying the Mongoose. As you can tell, however, my bar is set pretty low on the razor quality scale. All that I hoped for was a decent SE shave, as a SE just seems efficient, and I obviously need to up my game in the razor department. I was not prepared for what I encountered.

I speak from experience ( having children) when I say that there is no baby's butt, anywhere, on any continent, that is as smooth as my face is right now. I just had the most incredible shave of my life!! One weeper on the neck due to operator error (I was lulled into a state of stainless bliss and forgot that i had a sharp object in my hand). And the razor sang like I have never heard before. Thank you, Fat Lady.

I will be ordering a Mongoose tonight. I will use this loaner for the week and will ACTUALLY SHAVE EVERY DAY just for grins and giggles. Tomorrow I will try one of the Feathers. My luck with the Feather will be chronicled tomorrow evening.

Thanks so much for including me in the pass-around and your willingness to give your razor to complete strangers for no good reason.

I can not get the smile off my face.

Last edited:
I have an update. After going back to my R89, I miss the more aggressive feel of the Mongoose. I still get better shaves with my DE but it isn't the same not feeling the blade.

Sorry for the lag on reporting in, but my days have been a bit harried. I have had two more shaves using MdC and the more aggressive Feather blades. Both shaves were BBS. Effortless.

The only issue that I have with this wonderful razor is that it is just too heavy for me. I have to be so careful that it sucks some of the joy out of the experience.

List updated. If you are interested in participating please see post #20 for the rules/requirements and then reach out via PM if you qualify.

Mongoose Tour List
NastyPirate (shaving)
Rockero
Haggises

Got the package today. Thanks pirate. Fast shipping. I actually have not shaved in like 8 days just to try this razor. My coworkers are looking at me all weird like you need to shave. I am shaving today with it. Trying to decide what blade to use.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440865239.130432.jpg

I had my first shave on Thursday night and here is my set up

Feather super blade

Semogue Owners Club Brush

MWF soap

Myrsol Emulsion

All I can say is wow and damn I got a really close shave and the super blades are really sharp. I had like 8 days growth and my beard is not that thick but this thing mowed it down like it was cutting through butter in the first pass. First pass WTG. I did a second pass XTG. Super smooth. I did some small touch ups. But 2 passes was enough for me.

First things I noticed is that it's a heavy razor but I liked it since I'm use to a heavy razor. I have a Merkur Futur which is a little lighter than the Mongoose. I didn't have issues around the mustache area since the Futur is similar with a large head on top.

I kind of felt like this razor gave me a similar or more aggressive shave like the Merkur slant razor or maybe any slant razor. No this was a bit more aggressive than the merkur slant.

After finishing the shave I did feel some irritation so I put the Myrsol Emulsion on and my face felt really warm after applying it for like 30 minutes.

The next day I put some Nivea balm on before going to work because I still felt irritation on my face. So I let my face rest a day. The balm worked as I felt good the entire day.

I also have very sensitive skin so I'm not use to super aggressive blades. This was my first time using any type of feather blade.

I'm going to try the mild blades today to see how it goes and to see how it compares to the Feather Supers.

One other thing that kind of bugged me was that you have to be super careful when inserting a blade to this razor especially since the blade is so thin and you have to put it into those two small slots. You can cut yourself or the blade can fall out.

I like how in injector razors you don't even touch the blade or vintage SE razors the blade is easy to put in and it's a large blade that you can handle easily. I do have large hands so not sure if anyone else is having similar problems.

I'll report on the next shave tomorrow. Shaving today.

Top Bottom