What's new

Mongoose Razor Tour/Pass Around

All,

Just wanted to update my earlier review.

I recently picked up a B2 satin finish goose and after a few shaves, I don't think I gave it a fair shake during the pass-around.

I still find it a little big and cumbersome, but with the ATT Colossus handle it's much easier to handle. The shaves have improved tremendously after the second one. I've found that the first shave on the Feather Pro's can be a little rough and they seem to really mellow out around shave three. I now give the blade a few passes on my strop prior to the first shave and it really takes the roughness out of that initial shave. During the pass around I was overworked and under slept (new baby) and don't think I put a real effort into learning this fine instrument of shaving. Thanks again to Michael for allowing us the opportunity to try il this razor out.

Hello to all,

the plan was to give it a rest on Saturday, so I could shave a somewhat hairier face on Sunday with the Feather Pro Super. It was a great plan, and I executed it so well that I didn't shave Sunday either, and _really_ had more bristles Monday...indeed, it was afternoon till I got around to shaving...so from early Friday morning to early Monday afternoon.

Same prep as usual, then I used a Vie-Long shave stick for a soap...PIFed me by a local friend...excellent stuff, nicer fragrance than my Badger puck. Since I was face-lathering, I stuck with the Semogue 830...the Cade Plisson synthetic just doesn't have enough backbone for that, I find. Oh, no pre-oil either...I find that oil and a shave stick make for a funny combination...somehow the lather formation is inhibited, unlike mug-lathering and then applying atop the oil.

The absence of oil notwithstanding, the Pro Super gave me another, really excellent shave...close as I could wish with neither trepidation nor irritation. Yes, the Super is markedly sharper than the Pro, I find. Both did a great job on the pretty heavy beard I started them off against, but Monday's shave was closer. If I owned a Goose, the Super would likely be my blade.

Not much point in shaving Tuesday morning again, so I waited till today, Wednesday, about 8 a.m., for shave #4. The ultimate test, I think...not so heavy a growth (say, 36 hours) as two of the other shaves, yet not too close together, like the Thursday/Friday shaves last week.

I had a hot shower, pre-shave oil, and lathered up the synthetic brush with the puck of Badger in a mug (I really need a proper shaving mug...mine is just an old Starbucks cast-off, and too, too deep.) Nice lather, nice shave. I love the weight on that first, WTG pass...it's gravity all the way, and no effort on my part at all. Hugely efficient, and the ATG pass that follows is just for BBS perfection. If I were still working, I think I could shave daily, WTG, and never worry about how I looked at work in the afternoon...the first pass has been that good.

Today of course I did go ATG, again I had the sensation that the Goose doesn't excel quite so much as WTG, but still does great...a stiff, sharp blade like in all our usual SEs and injectors. At 9 a.m., I felt like I wouldn't have to shave again for a week!

So, to recapitulate--will I buy one? No, not today. Is this a great razor--yes, without a doubt. I had none of the maneuverability issues that some have raised...going XTG under my nose and lower lip worked great, and is my usual practice anyway. I think the marriage of what is essentially a mild razor with a super-fine blade is the key, plus the great weight. I don't use DEs anymore, but think SuperSpeed with a Feather DE blade...something like that. (Or, if you prefer the Feather Pro "not-super," then an SS or Tech with something sharp but not super so...an Astra or a Black 7 O-clock?)

If I'm not going to buy a Goose, how am I going to get something like the same effect?! One, I need to change blades more often...I 'm gonna try counting a little more accurately with my stainless Gems, and bin them after, say, 5-6-7 shaves for a while, rather than 10-12-15. And, I'm gonna go with middling aggressive razors...Damaskeene 1912, or flat-topped 1912, or G-Bar (for the weight!)...no MMOC or Clog-Pruf for a while. Same goes for injectors...an NOS Schick Platinum Pro in a Hydro-Magic, perhaps, or...?

If I had a hat on, I'd take it off to Michael for this excellent pass-around! If anyone contemplates doing one for an Artist Club again, or a Cobra or either type, Classic or King, _please count me in!

Best to all,

Dave, the prairie dad

We arrived home from the lake late last night so I didn't get my hands on the Mongoose until today.

I loaded the Feather Pro blade for the first shave and tried to follow my normal routine. I use SE razors often, so after the first pass the angle and pressure seemed pretty natural. In the back of my mind I was however wondering if I needed to update my CDL, wow, definitely a man's razor. I never felt like the weight or oversize head affected my shave once I got familiar with the razor. The head seemed to drag on my cheek during the last two passes, which was annoying. Not sure if it was the finish of the razor or something I was doing? I ended up with a really good shave and can't wait to try it again tomorrow.

Thank you Michael, for the opportunity to try it out!

Jeff

2nd shave- Mongoose/Feather Super Pro, Parker BCPB, Mickey Lee Soapworks The Kraken, Old Spice, Yardley Talc

Truly awesome shave tonight. I loaded the Feather Pro Super tonight for comparison, and was the recipient of a genuine BBS shave. So I guess the Pro Super was that much better?, or I have skillfully mastered the Goose in just two shaves?, or most likely I got real lucky? In all seriousness the shave seemed effortless and not near as awkward as the first shave. The only minor issue was two problem spots on my neck that the Mongoose has some slight issues with, likely because of its width. I did not have the issue with the head dragging so must have been an angle issue on the first shave. Tomorrow evening I may try a 2nd shave with the Pro.

3rd Shave - Mongoose/Feather Pro, Wolf Whisker Synthetic, Haslinger Schafmilch, Avon Spicy, Stag Talc

All my questions were answered tonight.... I used the Feather Pro blade again. I received a darn fine shave tonight but not as good as last night's. So, evidently my excellent shave last night was not due to my inherent skill in handling the Goose. The "head dragging" issue reared it's ugly head again, but through some experimentation I have come the conclusion that I was using too much pressure to compensate for a less than aggressive razor teamed with a not so sharp blade. I plan to go back to the Feather Super Pro tomorrow and possibly even throw in a shim.

At this point I am leaning towards owning a Mongoose but I am unsure if it has impressed me enough to purchase a new one?

4th Shave - Mongoose/Feather Super Pro, Omega #80266, Catie's Bubbles La rose du Mechant, Adidas Dynamic Pulse, Yardley Invisible Talc

Awesome shave tonight, near BBS. The Feather Super Pro once again performed like a champ. No head dragging issues tonight with the sharper blade. I think this has convinced me to own a Mongoose at sometime in the future. This will be my last shave with the Goose as my other razors are calling. I will be cleaning it up and getting it on its way to the next lucky recipient. I have already been in contact with him and I am to ship out Monday to coincide his schedule. Thank you Michael for allowing us all use your razor!

I received the razor Thursday night. It has a beautiful build and fit. The weight is immediately apparent.

Friday, I loaded it with a Kai blade. It was by far my favorite blade with the Cobra Classic. A three-piece system is much easier to load than Cobra. Did the usual pre-shave (hot shower and Noxzema). Face lathered with Klar Kabinet. Three passes (WTG, XTG,ATG). Very mid shave. Result – unimpressive. No irritation. Captain Bay Rum caused no burn at all. But too many starry hairs left.

Saturday, I switch to a Feather Professional blade. Hot shower and 3P. Tabac soap. Three passes, slight buffing and j-hook below the jaw line. Better results, but still no BBS. Area around the chin had some light stubble left. I would venture to say that the shave was no better than with a Schick Krona and Personna Med. Hmm…

More testing to follow.

Last edited:
List updated. If you are interested in adding your name, please see post #20 for the rules/requirements and then reach out via PM if you qualify.

Mongoose Tour List
prairie-dad (shaving?)
Jcan88
Haggises
ShaverGN
Gig103
51 Rolls
NastyPirate

I thought I'd pull it forward to the new page. I see too that I'm next, and I'm very excited for something new. Do I need to buy any blades for this and if so, what type?

Two more shaves with Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. Used Pro Super blade. Valobra soap for both shaves to keep experience a bit more consistent.

Pro blade is a clearly more aggressive. The shave was very smooth. Just a minimal burn with Alum block under the chin where I always do some touch-up. I was in a rush this am an had a small cut on the right cheek. The razor is forgiving but will bite if not handled properly. There are still areas on my face that have occasional small patches of stubble. The culprit might be the size and shape of the razor's head.

A couple more shave and I will be passing the razor to the next lucky tester.

Two more shaves with a Mongoose using Feather Professional. While the shaves were good and smooth, I was not able to achieve BBS results. Might be just my technique or shape of my face. But it was a very interesting experience.

Poonjaji! You are a true gentlemen. Thank you for trusting us with this razor. I was on the list to order it from the manufacturer. I will not be buying it at this time.

Top Bottom