What's new

Mongoose "aggressiveness" SS versus AL (v1) versus AL (v2)

I have seen various posts that say the Alumigoose is less aggressive (or mild) and others saying the its more aggressive than the stainless steel version. So looking for any feedback on the aggressiveness of the three different versions?

I have not tried everyone of the Mongoose razors but I have tried the SS batch 2 and the AlumiGoose V1. From what I believe and from what I have read on this forum and other forums is that the AlumiGoose V1, which is no longer available, is the most aggressive of the Mongoose razors, followed closely by the SS version. (I have not seen much on the difference between B1, B2, B3 versions.)
The new AlumiGoose V2 most guys agree is the least aggressive of them all.
I hope this helps.

I have had each of the iterations of the Mongoose razors and will give you my impressions tomorrow after I shave with my AGv2 again, but from what I remember it was a touch more aggressive than the B3.

I have a stainless B3 Mongoose and an Alumigoose 2. The SS 'Goose is far more aggressive than the Alumigoose. I can get a great shave with a Feather Pro Guard in the SS 'Goose, the Feather Pro is as aggressive as I need or want, and the Feather Super Pro is too much.

However, in the Alumigoose 2 the Feather Super Pro is the only blade that works for me - everything else is too mild.

I've never used an Alumigoose V1 but my understanding is that they are much more aggressive than either the V2 or the stainless steel models.

--Bob

I have tried B2 SS, B3 SS and V1 Alumigoose. I didn't feel any difference at all in aggression between those three. The Alumigoose V1 provided more audible feedback than SS versions and that was the only difference I could decipher. The ATT SE1 is supposed to be tad more aggressive and smoother than SS Mongoose, so will see it when it become available.

I've had the B2 SS, B3 SS, and the AG v1.

Alumigoose V1 is more aggressive than the other two. And I like it. I'm not even interested in trying the AG V2.

I didn't notice a difference between B2 SS, B3 SS

Here is my impression after revisiting the B3, V1 and V2. Most to least:

V1, V2, B3, B1, B2

As always, you're experience may be different than mine.

I have an SS and a alumi2.
I find the lack of weight of the alumi to give a less aggressive shave.
I'm going to load the handle with tungsten putty.
But, first, try the ss handle with the alumi head.

I have an SS and a alumi2.
I find the lack of weight of the alumi to give a less aggressive shave.
I'm going to load the handle with tungsten putty.
But, first, try the ss handle with the alumi head.
Found out today poking around on the handle to find out its solid. Dang it

I got to try an AlumiGoose V2 today. [thanks to DrColossus11 (Jay)] I already have the V1. I don't understand why some guys say it is very mild. I found it to be just slightly milder than the V1. I put a Feather Pro in it and got a great shave. Once again, I do not have a heavy beard maybe that's why.
It makes me wonder if Mongoose has quality control issues with different production runs. One batch may vary quite a bit from another batch. Just guessing.

Last edited:
I have a AlumiGoose V1 and find it very aggressive. If I use it everyday I get very bad irritation. When I do use it I'm forced to use it every other day. It is a real shame since I really like the design & built of this razor. I was thinking about getting a V2 since most report that it is milder and I could use it every day, but if it is only slightly milder than it's not worth getting.

Some guys have said they can't even get a close shave with the V2. I find it hard to believe. Myself and others believe the stainless steel Mongoose are milder than the AlumiGoose. If you are looking for mild, try a SS model.

Last edited:
I will probably buy the full steel version (what now is stores, not sure what version it is), what do you think about it? mild or aggressive?

I love "weight" on my razor

It's important to clarify what versions we are comparing. I have a stainless steel batch 3 Mongoose which is clearly (to me, anyway) more aggressive than my Alumigoose V2. I can get a great shave with a Feather Pro Guard in the SS B3, but I have to go to a Super Pro with the Alumigoose V2 to get a similar shave.

Based on forum discussions it appears that the latest stainless steel Mongoose is more aggressive than earlier versions, while the current (v2) Alumigoose is significantly less aggressive than earlier versions.

--Bob

Top Bottom