What's new

Monarch vs. 1Q

I recently picked a bit of "Monarch" from a local shop. They had it in bulk and the sales guy told me that they buy it in huge bags from their supplier. I asked him about it and he told me little other than the fact that it is one of the best selling blends ever (he was a cigar guy, so didn't know much).

I then went to another shop and they also had a "Monarch" blend. The guy told me that all their blends were made in-house, but then I saw him pulling handfuls of tobacco from a huge bag and putting it into his display jars, so I am doubtful. I bought a small sample of this out of curiosity.

I got the two home and they smell identical. I am wondering if Lane 1Q is re-branded and sold in bulk to shops? Has anyone heard of this? My friend has 1Q so when I see him next I am going to try and compare the two.

Thoughts?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yes, its very common for 1Q to be rebranded and sold as a "house blend" under a different name. Many, many, many "house" bulk pipe tobacco selections are nothing more than rebranded Lane, Sutliff, Stokkebye, Altadis, and McClelland blends.

The guy told me that all their blends were made in-house, but then I saw him pulling handfuls of tobacco from a huge bag and putting it into his display jars, so I am doubtful.
Thoughts?

Well, they were made in-house somewhere, just not their store.
[emoji2]

Of all the private-labeling/rebranding that happens, 1Q is probably the most common and at every shop 1Q (or whatever they call it) is always cited as the best seller.

I recently was going to compare 1Q to Elm Park from The Owl Shop in Worcester, MA. The guy there told me it was their best seller. I put some of each out to dry but forgot to label them. I was unable to determine which dried sample was which by sight, smell, or smoking. They seemed identical to each other and to the larger bag of each that I had saved.

When I worked for a tobacco shop here we bought Lane 1-Q in large bags and rebranded it as our #10. As mentioned earlier, it was our top seller. We were told at the time, and I think it's true, that it's the same blend as Captain Black Blue label.

Top Bottom