What's new

Mom's (or Dad's) home cooking

For me, it would have to be lasagna. However we always had home made baked goods around too. I miss her apple and peach pies.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I do know this : it will [not] give measures in cups and tablespoons. It will be handfuls, pinches, and about this much, or that looks/feels about right.

That reminds me of one of my favourite Gordon Ramsay moments ... aga aga ...

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That’s the way both my grandmothers cooked and that’s exactly how my mother cooks. And exactly how I cook.

“Oh that looks about right.”
AhGa AhGa
Exactly

Mom's gone, but the dish I always associate with her growing up is tuna noodle casserole with the crumbled potato chip crust on top. I loved it, my dad loved it and there's no fresh ingredients in it whatsoever.

Mother's Hungarian Goulash over buttered egg noodles. Tenderized braised round steak with onions, water, lots of ketchup, paprika, garlic powder. Simmered for an hour or so into a sinful thick gravy with fork-tender chunks of beef. Buttered noodles soaking up the gravy. Just divine. Served with garlic bread, nothing better. Have to push yourself away from the table after a couple servings. This gastronomic wonder is now our Christmas Eve family supper, in honor of Mom. Folks outside our inner circle we have served this to won't leave the house without the recipe.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Mom's gone, but the dish I always associate with her growing up is tuna noodle casserole with the crumbled potato chip crust on top. I loved it, my dad loved it and there's no fresh ingredients in it whatsoever.
I remember that dish

Mom made beans, cornbread, fried potatoes and a tomato red onion salad. Had that every Wednesday. Dad would ruin steaks by cooking them well done. His burgers were like charcoal briquettes. If that gives you an idea of his version follow well done.

My wife makes won ton. She has the boys help wrap them. Usually boiled and with a dressing of oil and oyster sauce. The oldest likes them in chicken soup.

My oldest likes when I make a basic white sauce with garlic and Parmesan. He will have it over pasta with chicken. Ground beef served with rice. Sort of like SOS ? Someone said their family called it hamburger gravy.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Quail.

Mom would make quail that Dad brought home, and when I got old enough what we both brought home. She'd fry it in the Griswold skillet, bake it in the oven, and sometimes Dad would grill it.

Since the population as dwindled due to weather and predators, I haven't got one in years. So sometimes I'll get farm raised at the store.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
"Mom when I come home to visit can you make chicken & dumplings for me?"

I don't know what it is about her chicken & dumplings, but it just makes my soul sing.

My mom used a strange recipe from an 60s "international" cookbook from the US ( German here),
it was the american 60s idea of a chinese meatball dish.
It is with pineapple and bellpepper, sauce is thick and all served on rice.

Best thing in the world, still cooking it every 1-2 months.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My mom was a baker more than anything else. Breads, pies, squares. About 10 year's now since she passed and probably it has been 20 or so years since I had something she made. She could and did make killer stews. For decades she was the cook for holiday meals for the extended family.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Stumpot . . . basically, it is a blend of carrots, onions, and potatoes (25/25/50). Boiled until ready to be mashed. Mash it only to blend everything, not turn it into a puree. you want it "chunky".
Cook a large sausage with it, and make a beef gravy to pour over top. Delicious, and hearty on a cold winter evening.

The other is a sweet treat called Olle Bolle (sp?). It is basically a dough with raisins or currants mixed in which is deep fried to a golden brown. Served warm, you break it open and dunk it on a plate covered in icing sugar. My memories of this as a child are so strong, I refuse to allow my wife to try and make them. I do not want to risk the memories in my head, for good or ill.
I will now, thanks to YOU! have to be NICE to my lovely War Department for not one, but TWO awesome sounding recipes! Thanks a lot dude.

Top Bottom