What's new

Mom's (or Dad's) home cooking

Mom couldn't cook. Family lore is that her mother wouldn't let her around the kitchen growing up. I don't know the truth but thought of her dry meatloaf and burnt liver still sends shivers down my spine. Dad .... No. And somehow I ended up with two restaurants.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My mother was a wonderful cook. I miss her deeply!
About 10 year's now since she passed and probably it has been 20 or so years since I had something she made.

Many of us could echo those sentiments, and the rest of us know that sooner or later we will.

Let us cherish the time we have left with our loved ones, and remember them fondly and often once they are gone.

My mom used a strange recipe from an 60s "international" cookbook from the US ( German here),
it was the american 60s idea of a chinese meatball dish.
It is with pineapple and bellpepper, sauce is thick and all served on rice.

That sounds familiar! Sort of a "1950s-60s-70s Americana" interpretation of "sweet and sour".

wish someone else in the house liked rhubarb it was a weed behind the garage.

That makes great pie! (Often, mixed with other fruit to balance the tart and sweet.)

And somehow I ended up with two restaurants.

As a kid, you probably figured out quick that restaurants were the only place "good" food came from.

That sounds familiar! Sort of a "1950s-60s-70s Americana" interpretation of "sweet and sour".

Yeah, my Mother made a sweet and sour pork to die for. Not authentic Chinese, I am sure, but I am guessing that what we get in the States in restaurants is not in any way authentic either. So Americana, yes.

That makes great pie! (Often, mixed with other fruit to balance the tart and sweet.)
Absolutely. I did not love my Mother's strawberry rhubarb pie. I was so wrong. Have folks who do not like rhubarb actually tired it? Properly prepared it is wonderful. Tart and flavorful and, as Ian says, marries very well with other fruits. I admit I did not quite get it until we had in on a number of occasions in France. Works in drinks, too.

Thanks, Ian! Yes, hug your Moms. Or at least call them!

There you go:

IMG_6507.JPG

That looks about right, except my Mother used cubes of pork. Pineapple and green pepper for sure, though. I think my Mother's was more fried a half inch or so of oil, which is unusual. My Mother, even though from the South, almost never fried anything!

My father was never around, I remember that he would always burn the toast back.
My mother's cooking was generally of the whole grain vegetarian variety, and it was the same thing every day.
When I went to boarding school I was the only one who thought that the food was good. It took about a a year for me to look at the school food and say "You know Friday fish is not very good."
Every one thought that was funny.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My daughter loved boarding school food because they had Vegan offerings 3 times a day 7 days a week. She was in heaven.

My daughter loved boarding school food because they had Vegan offerings 3 times a day 7 days a week. She was in heaven.

Our school did not have offerings, you could eat what they served or go out into the town. Every Friday it was fish.
That was some time ago, there was no vegetarian and most of the students smoked in the school yard between classes. Oh yeah the world has changed.

Many Sundays my dad would cook a marinated flank steak on a Hibachi grill in the fireplace.
Sliced on the bias...crispy on the edges, medium rare in the middle.....

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When I was a young boy (3-4??) I went camping with my dad for a few days. No mum, so he had to cook. He had a dinner planned of hamburger patties, and pan-fried potatoes with onions. Cast iron pan over the fire: burger patties on one side and spuds on the other. Well, the patties were 100% ground beef and nothing to keep them together. The pan was small. The patties started breaking up, and eventually my dad said "screw it" and just blended it all up together.

He called it "camper's special" then and there on the spot.

It's been a delicious staple of our family camping trips ever since.

(If memory serves, we also had tinned peas on the side that evening. No, no fond special memories of tinned peas.)

Many Sundays my dad would cook a marinated flank steak on a Hibachi grill in the fireplace.
Sliced on the bias...crispy on the edges, medium rare in the middle.....

What a Dad!

I just had "French pancakes" for breakfast. Crepes with powdered sugar and lemon juice. My Mother, who for the most part was a straightforward country cook, was turned on to these by a neighborhood and perfected the recipe and technique. They remind me of her.

Top Bottom