What's new

Mom's (or Dad's) home cooking

Most of us have memories of our mother's (and in some cases father's) special recipes that became their trademark dish or special food that only they could prepare. And perish the thought of ordering a similar dish in a restaurant because nothing could come close to the way Mom prepared it at home. I have to give this more thought before I respond, but I will let others chime in with their memories of Mom's special recipes.

Fill in the blank: "Mom when I come home to visit can you make _____ for me?"

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For me, it wasn't my mother but rather her eldest sister, my aunt. She would cook me a whole lemon meringue pie whenever we visited. Of course she became my favourite aunt.

I love the sentiment. However, my parents, God bless them, were terrible cooks. I have so many other things that I am grateful to them for.

My mother and first MIL were both dreadful cooks. Step father didn't know where the kitchen was, or what was in it. I started cooking at 13 when mother started working nights to avoid sleeping with SF and they were the only meals I looked forward to.

Stumpot . . . basically, it is a blend of carrots, onions, and potatoes (25/25/50). Boiled until ready to be mashed. Mash it only to blend everything, not turn it into a puree. you want it "chunky".
Cook a large sausage with it, and make a beef gravy to pour over top. Delicious, and hearty on a cold winter evening.

The other is a sweet treat called Olle Bolle (sp?). It is basically a dough with raisins or currants mixed in which is deep fried to a golden brown. Served warm, you break it open and dunk it on a plate covered in icing sugar. My memories of this as a child are so strong, I refuse to allow my wife to try and make them. I do not want to risk the memories in my head, for good or ill.

Mom’s Smoked Brisket
Dad’s grilled Steak and corn
Grandma V’s Spaetzle
Grandpa V’s grill roasted prime rib
Grandma H’s pies and German style ribs
Grandpa H and I ate a plate of garden fresh Tomatoes and Turnips drizzled with olive oil and salt an pepper in the backyard.
Family fish fry.
Nebraska: The good life!

Mom's baked goods -- breads, biscuits, cakes. My Dad's home cooked Italian food...all of it, especially his home made pizza.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Any trip home requires Mum's lasagna. And if it's at Christmas ... corn flake squares.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
SOS
Cabbage rolls
Stuffed bell peppers
Potato Salad
Cole Slaw
24 hour salad

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Mom when I come home to visit can you make "Chicken noddle soup" for me?"
She could make great soups and she usually made it from scratch, take off the fats and add her experienced touch of timing and ingredients. Something as easy and simple as chicken noodle made a person feel so well after eating a bowl.

I grew up in a household where we employed cooks; my mother was a wonderful cook, but she appreciated the help our cook gave her in producing the endless row of dinners and breakfasts that kept us all going. You can imagine that my mom's not-infrequent dinner parties were quite the production; we'd borrow my grandparents' Japanese houseboy, but that's a different story.

My father observed that our succession of maids could be roughly divided into two groups: fabulous cooks who ignored us children; and wonderful child-carers who couldn't find the kitchen if they were led to it. Easy decision, for him: fantastic food, and near-feral children raising themselves.

So my memories are mixed: fried chicken, swiss chard, all soul food, roast squab or quail, roast beef with yorkshire pudding, angel pie, all wonderful, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you who cooked what.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Mom has never given it to my wife. She has just now started releasing her recipes to her.
I will share with you once she does give it to my wife.
I do know this : it will give measures in cups and tablespoons. It will be handfuls, pinches, and about this much, or that looks/feels about right.

Mom when I come home to visit can you make "Chicken noddle soup" for me?"
She could make great soups and she usually made it from scratch, take off the fats and add her experienced touch of timing and ingredients. Something as easy and simple as chicken noodle made a person feel so well after eating a bowl.

My wife makes great soups . . . her smoked ham and pea soup is better than my Mom's (sorry, Mom). She makes all kinds, but the pea soup and her clam chowder are the best. Every (post) Thanksgiving/Christmas it's turkey soup on the stove top the next day.

I went out and bought her a restaurant size/quality soup pot so I could get larger batches from her

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My wife makes great soups . . . her smoked ham and pea soup is better than my Mom's (sorry, Mom). She makes all kinds, but the pea soup and her clam chowder are the best. Every (post) Thanksgiving/Christmas it's turkey soup on the stove top the next day.

I went out and bought her a restaurant size/quality soup pot so I could get larger batches from her
You want to know a secret with pea and ham soup is to vacuum seal them for those days she is not making it. What I do is get those glade sandwich plastic sandwich containers and put about 1/3 or about 3 ladles into them and freeze them first. Then take some vacuum quart bags and slip those frozen 1 pc great pcs of food into them and then vacuum for a later date. I could have a $50 meal and have a $5 bowl of good soup and prefer the soup. Not sure why my thought process is like that but I enjoy soup more than most meals if prepared right. I also vacuum freeze chicken rice soups with good success, soups vacuum sealed can last up to 3 years they claim.
Have a great day!

Oh yeah . . . we freeze the excess. That soup pot she has holds 10 gallons. She can simmer a 30 lb. turkey carcass whole in that thing. LOTS of leftovers.

Top Bottom