What's new

Molton Brown

So you know how for most of us , our significant other either doesn’t understand our interest in wet shaving and are bemused by our fascination .

Well yesterday I was surprised when my wife gave me this . Talk about being an enabler .

Anyone use molton brown shaving soap ? I like their hand and body washes . This has a black pepper scent . Will be using it later .

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molton Brown is indeed a high-class Brit fragrance shop.
I can guess they source shave soap from same supplier as Penhaligon; ingredients list look similar.
I was a bit surprised there was not a fragrance description on the soap.

But the enablement from your wife is certainly priceless! Congrats!

For future, you could consider tallow shave soap from DR Harris.

I have evaluated a lot of soaps, but I have not tried Molton Brown. Neither have I seen many reviews, so I am interested in what you think of it and how it compares to other soaps you use.

All Molton brown stuff has an amazing scent !

I might have to make a purchase right now....just because.

So I shaved with it today. 2 days growth because I didn’t shave yesterday . Usual weekend prep of face scrub followed by pre shave oil. Bloomed the puck with a few drops of hot water . Soaked my stirling boar brush in a bowl of hot water too.

30 sec loading time . The soap lathered ok for soap similar to how my proraso green soap lathers . The scent has a good string black pepper scent so definitely fits into the fall theme . I have a puck of pre de Provence 63 that I haven’t used yet and it has a similar profile although a bit more subtle .

I face lather and surprisingly the scent was fairly faint when lathering . And I couldn’t really get any whiffs of it while shaving .

Cushion and slickness was average . Nothing to shout about .

Face feel after shaving was also ok not drying at all but not super soft .

Would I buy it ? Well I haven’t checked the price of a refill puck but it is not par with stirling or B&M soaps . So if it costs the same or more than those soaps I would not buy again.

So I shaved with it today. 2 days growth because I didn’t shave yesterday . Usual weekend prep of face scrub followed by pre shave oil. Bloomed the puck with a few drops of hot water . Soaked my stirling boar brush in a bowl of hot water too.

30 sec loading time . The soap lathered ok for soap similar to how my proraso green soap lathers . The scent has a good string black pepper scent so definitely fits into the fall theme . I have a puck of pre de Provence 63 that I haven’t used yet and it has a similar profile although a bit more subtle .

I face lather and surprisingly the scent was fairly faint when lathering . And I couldn’t really get any whiffs of it while shaving .

Cushion and slickness was average . Nothing to shout about .

Face feel after shaving was also ok not drying at all but not super soft .

Would I buy it ? Well I haven’t checked the price of a refill puck but it is not par with stirling or B&M soaps . So if it costs the same or more than those soaps I would not buy again.

I look forward to getting mine as i am not into artisan soaps anymore.

I find they just make my skin look oily.

I prefer none artisanal soaps and creams.

I look forward to getting mine as i am not into artisan soaps anymore.

I find they just make my skin look oily.

I prefer none artisanal soaps and creams.

Most of the artisan soaps have focused on providing post-shave feel using exotic ingredients. Since I have sensitive skin, I appreciate the "skin food" in those soaps, but I can see how those who skin is different from mine might not like those soaps. Thus, some of the soaps/creams I had tried and have down rated for lack of post-shave feel might be just what you are looking for. They would include:

Cremo, Arko, Van der Hagen, Truefit & Hill, TOBS, Haslinger, DR Harris, and GF Trumper and Williams Mug Soap.

Another traditional soap is Mitchells Wool Fat. Due to the lanolin content, the post-shave feel is quite nice. However, since lanolin is a wax and not a fat, it might not make your face feel oily.

Most of the artisan soaps have focused on providing post-shave feel using exotic ingredients. Since I have sensitive skin, I appreciate the "skin food" in those soaps, but I can see how those who skin is different from mine might not like those soaps. Thus, some of the soaps/creams I had tried and have down rated for lack of post-shave feel might be just what you are looking for. They would include:

Cremo, Arko, Van der Hagen, Truefit & Hill, TOBS, Haslinger, DR Harris, and GF Trumper and Williams Mug Soap.

Another traditional soap is Mitchells Wool Fat. Due to the lanolin content, the post-shave feel is quite nice. However, since lanolin is a wax and not a fat, it might not make your face feel oily.

Thanks bud.

I have most of those. Truefit and hill might not have great performance but the scent is great!!

I dont like Arko, mitchell’s or cremo though.

Arko smells like sh1t...[emoji39]

Mitchell’s smells like a wet dog.

A lot of artisan soaps have terrible scents to be honest.

The Palmates are subs for tallow and as a result the shaves are average as you have noted. Haslinger has gone this route as well.

My skin feels so much better than im not using artisan soaps.

They seem to clog my pores and leave me looking shiny.

Top Bottom