What's new

Molton Brown Moisture-rich Shaving Soap Review

Since I haven't seen much about it on here I thought I'd provide a short review of this soap. I'd like to start with a small disclaimer that, while I've tried a good number of soaps(about 40), I am far from an expert. This is also the first review I've attempted.

I have enjoyed Molton Brown products in the past with the exception of their products that were marketed for shaving, particularly the multi-purpose soaps and gels that I found to be mediocre. They're body washes are on point though, especially that black-peppercorn. I recently found out that they released an actual shaving soap and I immediately purchased it with high hopes. I'm happy to say that I'm quite pleased with it.

Appearance: The package was nice. I ordered it direct from Molton Brown's website for 45$ with free shipping and a free sample of their face scrub included. I splurged for the puck with the metal bowl that I thought resembled the L'Occitane bowl. The puck alone is 15$. The package arrived surprisingly quick, I believe it only took 2 days.

First Impression: I found the bowl to be nice. I was actually not very impressed with the scent. It smells good and fresh but it's a very light scent. I was also expecting more of an "orange" scent and I had decided to pair it with my Fine L'Orange Noir before I had even opened it. I know very little about fragrance notes but the website says "A top note of mandarin. Middle notes of jasmine and violet. Base notes of musk, sandalwood and vanilla" so I was expecting it to have that mandarin fragrance be noticeable and I don't really think it is.

Lather: It lathered quickly. I loaded for less than 10 seconds lightly swirling my Amici brush and then took to the bowl. It was a good looking thick and creamy lather that took minimal time to create.

Shave: It provided a great shave. I think it's what some would consider to be a "thirsty" soap. I may not be using that correctly. Basically, I found it to work better with a wet face whereas I've found that I can use some of my argan-oil based soaps(read: Razorock XX and ABCBA) I can use with a dry face. The lather was slick when my face was wet and provided a very comfortable shave. Coupled with the Fine aftershave my face felt great afterwards.

I recommend this soap to anyone. The puck alone seems rather inexpensive in my opinion compared to English bath houses of similar repute.

$IMG_1011.jpg$IMG_1010.jpg

Since I haven't seen much about it on here I thought I'd provide a short review of this soap. I'd like to start with a small disclaimer that, while I've tried a good number of soaps(about 40), I am far from an expert. This is also the first review I've attempted.

I have enjoyed Molton Brown products in the past with the exception of their products that were marketed for shaving, particularly the multi-purpose soaps and gels that I found to be mediocre. They're body washes are on point though, especially that black-peppercorn. I recently found out that they released an actual shaving soap and I immediately purchased it with high hopes. I'm happy to say that I'm quite pleased with it.

Appearance: The package was nice. I ordered it direct from Molton Brown's website for 45$ with free shipping and a free sample of their face scrub included. I splurged for the puck with the metal bowl that I thought resembled the L'Occitane bowl. The puck alone is 15$. The package arrived surprisingly quick, I believe it only took 2 days.

First Impression: I found the bowl to be nice. I was actually not very impressed with the scent. It smells good and fresh but it's a very light scent. I was also expecting more of an "orange" scent and I had decided to pair it with my Fine L'Orange Noir before I had even opened it. I know very little about fragrance notes but the website says "A top note of mandarin. Middle notes of jasmine and violet. Base notes of musk, sandalwood and vanilla" so I was expecting it to have that mandarin fragrance be noticeable and I don't really think it is.

Lather: It lathered quickly. I loaded for less than 10 seconds lightly swirling my Amici brush and then took to the bowl. It was a good looking thick and creamy lather that took minimal time to create.

Shave: It provided a great shave. I think it's what some would consider to be a "thirsty" soap. I may not be using that correctly. Basically, I found it to work better with a wet face whereas I've found that I can use some of my argan-oil based soaps(read: Razorock XX and ABCBA) I can use with a dry face. The lather was slick when my face was wet and provided a very comfortable shave. Coupled with the Fine aftershave my face felt great afterwards.

I recommend this soap to anyone. The puck alone seems rather inexpensive in my opinion compared to English bath houses of similar repute.

View attachment 444578View attachment 444579
You are right about this being a thirsty soap ,I always load soaps with lots of water and then load until I reach the right consistency,using a very wet brush this soap took very little loading to reach the right consistency. Seems to be a decent shaving soap though, i will have to update when I use this next

Thanks for the review, sounds like good stuff and not really expensive. I have wanted to try this for a while so it was good to read. Cheers

Thought this thread should have.some more lather pics of this soap

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1419368431163.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1419368431163.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 90
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1419368463627.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1419368463627.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 91
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1419368498481.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1419368498481.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom