What's new

Molten old glue speckles?

So I was trying out my new Forstner bits (these ROCK for removing knots btw...) and after drilling out the old knot, there were brown speckles all over the previously clean black handle. It almost looked like brown paper towel lint.

I tried lightly sanding with 3k paper, 1k paper, 600 paper... finally I just said screw it and crushed it with some 100 grit paper... It's really scratched up now but I think the speckles are almost all gone...

Is this common? I think from now on I will tape the handle before drilling the knot out, just in case.

Oh, for the forstner, my grandpa advised me that they work best at slow speeds so I turned down the speed on my drill press and it worked a treat.

Last edited:
So I was trying out my new Forstner bits (these ROCK for removing knots btw...) and after drilling out the old knot, there were brown speckles all over the previously clean black handle. It almost looked like brown paper towel lint.

I tried lightly sanding with 3k paper, 1k paper, 600 paper... finally I just said screw it and crushed it with some 100 grit paper... It's really scratched up now but I think the speckles are almost all gone...

Is this common? I think from now on I will tape the handle before drilling the knot out, just in case.

Oh, for the forstner, my grandpa advised me that they work best at slow speeds so I turned down the speed on my drill press and it worked a treat.

I have never see the like and can't imagine where they came from.
The only problems I have had in that way was when I was hand holding the brush and using a dremel without taping it. Quite a few scars on the handle and my hand to repair.

And yes, the Forstners are great.

I do not use my dremel or drill unless the old glue has hard, black and tar-like texture. My moral is simple. Vintage brushes were made by hands not machines and you should use your hands to restore them. I had once chipped a vintage handle and it took my 3 hours to sand it however I used epoxy before sanding process. Taping is the thing that I learned after that.

Yeah this was the black tar like stuff. After taking it all the way down to 100 grit, and working it back up to 3k and brasso, specs are still there. Maybe they were always there but I never noticed? I don't think so but whatever. I just glued it and used it this morning. Great knot from Larry, the silvertip is excellent!

I would try using a SE razor blade as a scraper. At a high angle draw the blade over the spot, sorta but not really like stropping, as you want the edge to bite, but you are pulling the edge over, and not pushing the edge in. On wood and some plastics this works better than sandpaper, but it does not work in all cases.

You can look up cabinet scraper for more information. I have also used briken glass as a scraper in the same manner.

Phil

The weirdest thing was that I couldn't feel them. It was totally smooth to the touch. I thought it was just lint from some rag or other that I had used in the final cleaning/polishing after knot removal... but it wouldn't wipe away or rinse off.

The whole thing would have been done in record time (for me) but instead of screwed around sanding it down and stuff for another couple hours. lol

In my limited experience (I've restored only three) I have not had this happen. I have had residue from old glue, etc. which is often brown but it usually just wipes off or falls out of the knot hole when tipped over.

Mack, that's been my experience so far as well. Maybe I was just remembering this being solid black when it had speckles all along? who knows... this is the finished brush.

proxy.php

Peerless handle, 22mm Silvertip knot. Both came from Larry at whipped dog. It's set at ~48mm loft.

I think some epoxy got into the threads as it doesn't want to unscrew anymore... bloops.

Could be... I just remembered it being solid black. I almost took lost the whole ring around the black part trying to get them off tho, heh... Good thing it's just for me. :)

That silvertip knot from Larry is very nice, quite similar to the super silvertip from TGN that I have in another brush.

Those handles heat up very quickly.I started pouring water over mine while drilling very slowly in short bursts. And definitely tape off handle...Could the specks be really hot pieces from drilling burnt in ?

Could be. It was getting warm for sure, but not hot to the touch. The pieces coming out tho were hot and smoking at times... had to drill in short bursts. That could be what happened. The thing is I could never feel stuff stuck into/on the surface, and sanded it down quite a bit with 100 grit... wouldn't think it'd have gone that deep.

Will certainly be taping them off in the future.

Brush works like a charm tho, that knot from Larry is very nice.

Top Bottom