What's new

Mold or precipitate

Mike H

Instagram Famous
proxy.php

They appear crystalline under the loop.
Take your bets now, as I have sent a sample to the lab for analysis. (Identification & Semi-Quantative Enumeration of spores and mycelium)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s bacterial in nature is my bet. I really don’t think it’s “sugar crystals” as everyone always says on face book.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'll say mold...but agree with Mike, Kelly and the others - I'd be smoking that with zero reservations.

Green looks mouldy to me Mike.
Interested in hearing the lab results. Worst case you can make some blue cheese with it.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
It’s weird that most Stonehenge has that white coating regardless of age. Just seems to be something that happens during manufacturing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There's folks in this thread that seem to be suggesting it could be mould, but smoke it anyway...

Is there a gag here that I'm missing?

brandaves

There's folks in this thread that seem to be suggesting it could be mould, but smoke it anyway...

Is there a gag here that I'm missing?
What is often referred to as "sugar crystals" is almost always some sort of mold...if it's overtaken and fuzzy then I'd bin it as a loss but for what he's pictured there, I would smoke that happily.

There is some disagreement on this topic among pipe smokers I've found on the various forums I've bopped around. Some argue that sugar crystallization is different and others argue that any "growth" is mold...it's tiring because at the end of the day both groups would land the same place. The end result is, "Smoke that beautifully aged leaf before I do!"

That's my take on it anyway.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
What is often referred to as "sugar crystals" is almost always some sort of mold...if it's overtaken and fuzzy then I'd bin it as a loss but for what he's pictured there, I would smoke that happily.

There is some disagreement on this topic among pipe smokers I've found on the various forums I've bopped around. Some argue that sugar crystallization is different and others argue that any "growth" is mold...it's tiring because at the end of the day both groups would land the same place. The end result is, "Smoke that beautifully aged leaf before I do!"

That's my take on it anyway.

As someone who is allergic to penicillin, and who is made violently ill by blue cheese, it would be nice to have a clearer insight. If my tobaccos develop mould, or I even suspect they're mouldy, they will be discarded immediately. Maybe I should reduce the duration that I'm considering ageing tobaccos.

brandaves

As someone who is allergic to penicillin, and who is made violently ill by blue cheese, it would be nice to have a clearer insight. If my tobaccos develop mould, or I even suspect they're mouldy, they will be discarded immediately. Maybe I should reduce the duration that I'm considering ageing tobaccos.
I would say it is worth researching further for you...although as long as you took care in the storage process that you probably won't have too much to worry about within the five year time frame.

That being said my assertion is based solely on what I've seen and read about online. I have been aging tobacco since January...so my experience spans a whole 8 months.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

I would think that tobacco kept in an unopened tin should be fine. I am also of the opinion that if the "growth" is crystalline in nature, it is not mold, but when in doubt, throw it out!

Top Bottom