What's new

Mold in my TWSBI 580...

I have a TWSBI 580AL inked with Private Reserve Avocado. I went to use it today and noticed something floating in the ink. It's a small bit of mold!! YECH! Looking for some advice from the wise Nib forum. Specifically, should I do anything other than clean it thoroughly with warm water and soap? Your thoughts on the matter are much appreciated.
IMG_2772.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Is there mold floating on top of the ink in the bottle? Just a complete guess, but there's a chance the pen might not have dried completely before capping it after the last time you flushed it. Moisture trapped inside the pen, along with storing it in a dark place, might have caused mold to start growing.

If you have the factory tool with it, I’d disassemble clean, dry thoroughly. I wouldn’t try to push that through the feed.

Didn't see anything obvious in the bottle. I've given the pen a good cleaning and it's back in business. Thanks.

Yup, I think I'll be tossing the PR Avocado. It was my favorite green. Now I've got to find a replacement. Time to order a few green ink samples from Goulet!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Yup, I think I'll be tossing the PR Avocado. It was my favorite green. Now I've got to find a replacement. Time to order a few green ink samples from Goulet!

Diamine Meadows and J Herbin Lierre Sauvage are both nice inks that might be comparable to PR Avocado. Diamine Apple Glory is a fun green with some sheen to it.

I have a TWSBI 580AL inked with Private Reserve Avocado. I went to use it today and noticed something floating in the ink. It's a small bit of mold!! YECH! Looking for some advice from the wise Nib forum. Specifically, should I do anything other than clean it thoroughly with warm water and soap? Your thoughts on the matter are much appreciated.

If you think water and soap are not enough you can use also a cleaning fluid like the Diamine Nib Cleaning Fluid. After the cleaning fluid use, you have to carefully flush the pen with cold water (not for the pen safety, but to ensure it doesn't discolour the next ink you use).

I use this fluid on a couple of pens with ink residue and it worked well and with no issue. TWSBI uses modem materials and it will be safe using the fluid on that.

If you go with warm water, pay attention to the temperature, it should be just a little bit warm, not hot! Personally I prefer cold water and longer soaks.

Top Bottom