What's new

Moka vs. Brikka... Am I the only one?

I've had a 6 cup Bialetti Moka Express for the past couple years and absolutely love the coffee that it produces-- rich, flavorful, and almost syrupy. I am also able to get a little bit of crema that quickly dissipates as it is getting poured.

Since I am usually the only one in the house who drinks coffee, I decided to pick up a 2 cup Brikka. The Brikka produces a lovely crema that actually makes it to the cup. The taste however leaves a lot to be desired-- the coffee seems to be a lot less syrupy in consistency and the taste is weak and almost sour. I also find that the coffee from the Moka Express is a lot hotter than that of the Brikka.

Am I doing something wrong? I use the same technique for both the Moka Express and Brikka. I use the same filtered water and same Illy coffee.

I left the brikka on the stovetop too long and the plastic top melted but I couldn't care less. Didn't care for it. I think I read that even the guy that invented it preferred the traditional moka pot. For all that... if it's anything near sour, you're doing something wrong--something that affects the extraction time or pressure. Could be the bean age, grind, packing, or how fast/slow you heat it.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that I am not the only one. It is not sour per se, the taste is just not anywhere near as good as the Moka.

The Brikka valve can stick initially after several uses like 10 from what I remember. It got loose and the coffee was less burned, but you might want to give it a little shake around when you think it might be done to help the sticky valve pop. If it sits it boils and burns.
On a side note I got a gaggia classic and have never looked back the moka was good but not quite espresso.
Aaron

Top Bottom