What's new

moka? Italian coffee pot?

Once the brew coming out starts to lighten, pour it out immediately or wrap a cold wet cloth around it to stop the process. The coffee once it runs nearly clear is bitter, I always aim to halt it before it starts gurgling.

Yup - in fact, it is when it gurgles that I get the smell of "burnt" coffee...

merkur, as long as you're happy with the cleaning work, no worries mate! Although some of those Bialetti's can have a dial like assembly on the top of the percolator spout that might make the de-gumming work more than it is worth.

...so? a vacuum pot with out the vacuum hey?... or a french press without the soak? ...or, an espresso machine without the espress?

/looks sheepishly around...
'I've always wanted to say something stupid like that and look intelligent'

I notice that the flow often reaches a certain point in the upper chamber before the coffee starts to gurgle

So last night, I started with medium flame. As soon as it started to flow, I set the flame to low. When the fill was near the mark (before it starts to gurgle), I turned the stove off.
Got a near-perfect brew.

I notice that the flow often reaches a certain point in the upper chamber before the coffee starts to gurgle

So last night, I started with medium flame. As soon as it started to flow, I set the flame to low. When the fill was near the mark (before it starts to gurgle), I turned the stove off.
Got a near-perfect brew.
That's the preferred method. But it involves standing there watching the pot to know when it starts to flow. I never had the patience for it.

But I've tasted the result when other people have done it, and it does make a difference for the better.

That's the preferred method. But it involves standing there watching the pot to know when it starts to flow. I never had the patience for it.

But I've tasted the result when other people have done it, and it does make a difference for the better.

I kept my eyes glued to the upper chamber (lid open), while the wife is impatiently tapping her foot, waiting to take over our small kitchen...
:001_rolle

I kept my eyes glued to the upper chamber (lid open), while the wife is impatiently tapping her foot, waiting to take over our small kitchen...

If you are Moka Potting on the stove try boiling your water in the microwave then putting boiling water into the bottom of your moka pot. You will find that your pot starts to brew within a minute or so.

I've not found any adverse taste by starting with boiling water but as with anything YMMV

Oh and use a pot holder to hold the bottom as it gets HOT fast when you add the boiling water to it.

Don't burn yourself when messing with boiling water. It is easy to do. Gave myself 1st degree burns on my left hand (still have the scars) this summer when I grabbed a tumbling Melita #6 filled with brew water. Better a burn on my hand than one on my chest which is where the dripper was heading.

I suppose that with a little practice, you could determine the time it takes to come to a boil. I'm sure it will be a constant. Then just set a kitchen timer to alert you at the right moment to turn off the heat.

The people over at Caffeine magazine recommend cooling the pot an ice bath or cold water to stop the extraction. That may help but it does seem a little obsessive.

The magazine article with some specifics about brewing in a 3 cup moka pot:
THE MOKA POT – THE ULTIMATE PURIST GUIDE, WITH A ‘THIRD WAVE’ EYE.

proxy.php

Nice read, and I agree on the 'obsessive' part - as if keeping eyes glued isn't enough...

Had another great brew last night. Except this time I was a bit slow to turn the stove off. Detected a bit of burnt smell for a a sec or two as it the pot cooled (no way I would be fast enough with the cold water to prevent this). Didn't affect the taste though.

I've taken to putting boiled water into mine too. I fill it on the hob and use a silicone oven mitt to hold the base while I screw the chamber on.

Except for the time saving, I can't say that I notice any difference.

Yup - same experience with boiled water...faster brew though
I also fill up the upper chamber with hot water, threw it out before filling it with a bit of milk from the refrigerator.

A question:
Since my wife keeps the milk in the refrigerator, and I am too lazy to heat up the milk (microwave and clean up), I simply pour a bit of milk into the moka pot (top) before putting it on the stove. Is there any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

[the milk is simply to take the bitter edge off the coffee a tad]

A friend of mine does that too and really likes the result. I don't see why you shouldn't; it doesn't seem to do his coffee pot any harm.

I've had an aluminum Bialetti for years now, and use it every morning. I've never had the patience to watch it and adjust the flame, so just leave it and do other things until I hear it gurgling. I'm sure it would taste better for watching over the brew process, but the way it comes out is to my taste anyway. I drink it black and unsweetened.

In Wellington, NZ where I live we're lucky to be spoiled for choice when it comes to local coffee roasters, and the coffee you use can make a real difference. I use Havana X-blend, a strong roast that seems to suit stovetop brewing well. I buy beans and grind them just before brewing it in a little burr grinder - something I'd also recommend if you're chasing good results.

A question:
Since my wife keeps the milk in the refrigerator, and I am too lazy to heat up the milk (microwave and clean up), I simply pour a bit of milk into the moka pot (top) before putting it on the stove. Is there any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

[the milk is simply to take the bitter edge off the coffee a tad]
Another way to take the bitter edge off is to top off the cup with the zest of a lemon. I've never tried putting it directly into the pot, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I once asked a Barista for a zest of lemon on my double-shot espresso. He complied, but couldn't help but scoff and say "Ha! That's not bitterness ... that's FLAVOR!"

It might be in my head, but I think the aluminum flavors the coffee. Whatever it is, it tastes off to me.

It's not in your head. Mine does the same thing. I keep looking at stainless versions, but I'm pretty happy with my Chemex, Melitta, and French Press.

Top Bottom