What's new

moka? Italian coffee pot?

these little aluminum expresso coffeepots are selling like hot cakes here in kc . I am wondering is it a fad , or are they just that good. does anyone havve any experience with them. I am a frugal fellow but these things are going cheap and look nice. but do they preform as well as they look. :glare:

If you like a good cup of coffee they are very nice.

I have and use several, mostly stainless versions.

Grab one of the aluminum ones and see if you enjoy the brew they make

proxy.php

I have pour-over, electric, and recently a bialetti.
I really love the bialetti, over the rest. It's just a matter of getting the right ratio of water, beans (and sugar, if you use it)

thats the one i am thinking. i saw one guy mounding the grownds up to wher when you screwed the top to the bottom it compressedthe grounds id that how you guys do it

They are not bad as long as you know what to expect... The lower chamber boils the water up through a tube, through puck of coffee in the middle and then out into the top chamber. You'll get a coffee that has similar strength to that of espresso. However, you can never get that fine "crema" that espresso machines produce because he pressure acheived is so much lower.

Are you looking to make an espresso style shot or going for a larger regular strength brew? I've personally never really used one for a mug of regular coffee, as i find a pour over better for the task.

I use one regularly, its a 4 cup one bought from IKEA. Though not a real espresso pulled at high pressure, this simple thing can give you a strong coffee with a little crema of its own. Ever since I bought mine the electric drip coffee maker is collecting dust.
The important point when you buy one is, to get the right size for you. If you just need only a cup and buy the high capacity one, you won't get that espresso / the extraction experience when it is on its full capacity.

I like moka pot coffee, but I prefer a French press. Moka pot coffee I find stronger and a bit more bitter.

When I was in Afganistan, an Italian coworker made coffee for us every morning in a Moka pot. After coming back, I found one at an antique store for $3. I just started using it a few days ago and love it. Not having any loose coffee lying around, I've been dumping my K-cups into the moka pot and I really notice a difference. I'm headed to the store today to get better coffee for it. I see myself needing to upgrade the size though. It doesn't make nearly enough.

these little aluminum expresso coffeepots are selling like hot cakes here in kc . I am wondering is it a fad , or are they just that good. does anyone havve any experience with them. I am a frugal fellow but these things are going cheap and look nice. but do they preform as well as they look. :glare:

I was just about to message you about this....I looked at the store while we were out and the one you found back stateside is a lot easier on the wallet. Just to let you know.

you guys were supposed to talk me out of it you guys are not doing your job at all....I am on my way to the store now.new coffee a.d. here I come

Good for you.

You should try all brew methods.

I have found that the same bean brewed in different brewers (moka pot, press, drip, vacuum) taste differently.

You may like one bean in the moka pot and another bean in a drip and a 3rd bean in a vacuum pot.

Play around and get the most out of your beans $bth_bf-coffee-smiley-1.gif

I don't know if it is still the case, but when I visited Cuban friends in Miami thirty or so years ago, every house had a small sized moka pot. The one or two cup size. You come in the door, get introduced around, and the next thing that happens is that pot is loaded and on the stove. In a few minutes it is done, poured out into a creamer, mixed with a heap of sugar, and then doled out. However many people were in the home, that pot of coffee was shared among them, in tiny cups. An excellent tradition.

I used one for twenty years, replacing the rubber ring every couple of years. I have an espresso machine now, which is just a bit better. So the moka mostly comes out for camping trips.

Viva moka pot!

$IMG_20150114_003714.jpg
here she is first cup was really strong but filled the kitchen with lovely smell am i suposed to add hot water to it?its going to be perfect first thing in the morning, i already have it loaded.

Legion

Staff member
It is all I use, but mine is stainless. It came from Aldi, I think it cost all of $15. At some point the lid fell off, but whatever. They don't need a lid. Why is a lid even there? I live in Australia, so it keeps the spiders out, but apart from that I see no purpose.

A question:
Since my wife keeps the milk in the refrigerator, and I am too lazy to heat up the milk (microwave and clean up), I simply pour a bit of milk into the moka pot (top) before putting it on the stove. Is there any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

[the milk is simply to take the bitter edge off the coffee a tad]

you guys were supposed to talk me out of it you guys are not doing your job at all....I am on my way to the store now.new coffee a.d. here I come

You must have missed the sticky about this forum:
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
[Abandon all hope, ye who enter here]

They don't need a lid. Why is a lid even there? I live in Australia, so it keeps the spiders out, but apart from that I see no purpose.
I left the lid open to watch the process and toward the end it started splashing all over the stove. I figured out that the lid was essential.

Top Bottom