What's new

moisturizer for my dry face

shaving has been drying out my face, I'm looking for a post shave moisturizing cream, my pharmacy has both proraso white aftershave cream, and burts bees after shave lotion, are any of these good?

I do not have experience with the Burt's Bees product, but the Proraso aftershave balm is very nice.

If you want more bang for the buck, try Nivea Sensitve balm. Only costs about $7 -$8 per bottle and is among the best out there.
It's my everyday balm in the winter.

I agree with the Nivea very good value for money with good results and can be picked up almost anywhere.

I have used the Nivea for years, its good stuff. As a general rule if you need moisture just find something without Alcohol. Lots of good products on the market. I also like Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Taylors Collection Luxury Aftershave Balm. Works good and my wife likes the smell. :thumbup1:

the best product for extreme yet natural moisture contain Hyaluronic Acid in a base of plant oils. The best I have found so far is http://www.naturopathica.com/skin_care_products/moisturizers/43-cassis_ultra_replenishing_cream. Expensive but only takes a dot and maintains incredible moisture throughout the entire day. Also improves your skin health the longer you use it, repairing skin damaged by age and the sun and erasing wrinkles and fine lines. Maximize the benefit and effect by first using Moroccan rose water as your aftershave splash instead of the more traditional aftershaves and rub it in before applying the cream. The cream will absorb the rose water into your skin and leave your face perfectly moisture balanced the entire day. Top with a light SPF to prevent additional damage and drying.

Last edited:
I have both the proraso and the Nivea, love them both. I don't grab for them very often as I enjoy the alcohol burn but with this extreme cold temps in Michigan, they have been a relief on my chapped face. I think either would be good and reasonably priced. Little goes a long way

I prefer the Proraso to the Nivea. I really enjoy alcohol based splashes though. Recently I've been using the alcohol ones and if I need moisture I use Ponds Dry Skin Cream.

Nivea is great for the money. If you feel like splurging, you cannot beat Trumper's Coral Skin Food, but you will have to order in online.

Ive tried a lot of things the best for me is:
Unrefined Shea Butter
L'Occitane Cade Balm
Queen Charlotte Balms

Both the Proraso and Nivea suggestions are good. You can't go wrong with either.

The other option to think about is tweaking your soap usage. If you haven't already dabbled with this, it's possible that using one of the more moisturizing type soaps (maybe one of the kokum butter based products like HTGAM/Synergy or PPF, or a lanolin product like MWF) could be helpful?

I clicked on here to add the Nivea Sensitive, but EVERYONE beat me to it! I will add though, that frequently at the Body Shop their Macca Root products go on sale, very very nice balm indeed. It seems to help speed up the disappearance of redness.

Just be sure to use a product specifically made for the face - hand and body lotion is usually much heavier and greasier.
I like the Olay with SPF-15 - Costco sells a 3-pack for about the same price as one bottle in most stores, and Target has a knock-of that works pretty well.

Witch Hazel is great for dry skin after a shave, and do nest give you a burn. Try and find a Witch Hazel aftershave Balm. Sterling do one, just choose your favourite sterling flavour!

Ive tried GFT skin food, but that just dried my skin even more and left a layer of shine and glue! Im sure that stuff is made of Man Batter :surrender:

Before you shave I would recommend you try Rodan + Fields Microdermabrasion Paste to exfoliate the dry skin off. Then, as an aftershave, follow up with Soothe Sensitive Skin Treatment by Rodan + Fields as well. I was introduced to this brand about a year ago and it has made all the difference. I buy mine here http://mrockford.myrandf.com

Top Bottom