What's new

Moisturizer after Aftershave?

Just a quick question,

I've noticed after my shave my skin is generally pretty tight and dry. Does anyone have any experience with using a decent facial moisturizer after the shave or is this something I should do opposite my shave (ie, in the morning if I shave at night).

I use QED Aftershave Skin Conditioner. If I use any other product as my Aftershave, I use a tiny amount of the QED ASSC as a moisturizer to keep my skin feeling pliable (as opposed to that tight feeling).

For me it is a 'OR' kind of thing.
Or I use a splash/AS and nothing else, or I use an alum block and apply an ASB.

I use Vaseline Men face lotion after applying aftershave. Its works like a charm and does not leave the skin greasy! :001_smile

Check it out: http://www.vaselineskinfund.com/Product.aspx?Path=Consumer/OurProducts/MENLotion

Jim

I tried Nivea facial moisturizer about 20 minutes after my shave (used AV Classic) and it seems to have done the trick, the tightness/dryness went away.

For me it is a 'OR' kind of thing.
Or I use a splash/AS and nothing else, or I use an alum block and apply an ASB.

I always thought I was an ASB kind of guy when I was shaving with a cartridge razor. Since switching I prefer AS though I've never tried ASB with an alum block. Does it help with the irritation?

8<
I always thought I was an ASB kind of guy when I was shaving with a cartridge razor. Since switching I prefer AS though I've never tried ASB with an alum block. Does it help with the irritation?

You should try to avoid irritations in the first place. (razor/blade/soap combo)
I do think an alum block has some same strengths as an AS.
You could also try witch hazel + ASB, but I never used the first.
Do a search on the huge archive and maybe you can even customize something as others did before. I would think that witch hazel and alo&#235; gel for example are combinable and easy to find and which could replace your AS.
Or formulas involving alcohol, glycerin, alo&#235; gel, shea butter or whatever which could be an effective AS without any scent which could collide with your ASB.

I tried Nivea facial moisturizer about 20 minutes after my shave (used AV Classic) and it seems to have done the trick, the tightness/dryness went away.

I also use AV Classic and Nivea Extra Soothing Balm/ Sensitive Skin and it works quite well for me. I also plan to give Nivia Extreem Comfort After Shave Balm a try. When I want to treat myself or have a particularly rough shave, I use D.R Harris Sandalwood AS and AOS Sandalwood balm. AOS Balm is the best I have tried but it is expensive.

Dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just a quick question,

I've noticed after my shave my skin is generally pretty tight and dry. Does anyone have any experience with using a decent facial moisturizer after the shave or is this something I should do opposite my shave (ie, in the morning if I shave at night).

I wash my face with a cleanser twice a day; in the morning before my shave, and before bed. In the evening, I just apply a moisturizer. In the morning, I shave, and then apply witch hazel (to shaved beard), then splash (to shaved beard) and then aftershave balm (to shaved beard and the rest of the face) with a few minutes in between each.

So basically the ASB takes the place of the moisturizer in the morning, at the end of the shaving ritual.

At night I cleanse > tone. If I moisturize at night I tend to break out. I haven't used nancy boy night cream tho.
Morning cleanse > shave > slash > 10 mins. wait > balm

Top Bottom