What's new

Modifying the Gillette Guard

I picked up a Gillette Guard almost a year ago mostly as a travel razor and as a razor to use when I was in a hurry. I was very impressed with the razor from the first time I shaved with it. I could not believe how a razor so simple and cheap could be so efficient and well designed. It impressed me so much that in a year's time, the Guard has been elevated to the only cartridge razor in my regular rotation and my designated Finisher Razor (the one I pick up to finish off a bad razor/blade combination). My only gripe with the razor was that the handle was very light and looked cheap. I searched around to find a better handle that might be modified to take the Guard cartridge, and I even considered doing a 3D printed one (and I still might). In the end, I decided to modify the original handle.

I found that a 5/16" X 2 1/2" bolt from a hardware store fit exactly in the hollow handle. The base of the handle needed to be notched so that the end of the bolt would hold snug into the handle.

DSC01395.JPG
DSC01398.JPG
DSC01399.JPG
DSC01400.JPG

That was easy enough, however to seal the whole thing up and to give it a better grip, I dipped the handle in a couple of layers of Plasti Dip, and now I got a Gillette Guard with some weight to it and a better grip.

DSC01402.JPG
DSC01403.JPG

Because the "Y" on the top of the handle took up so much length, the razor is definitely bottom heavy, however it is still easy to control. Definitely an easy mod that doesn't take too much time or effort and delivers a better shaving experience.

Very nice. I've been trying to figure out a way to attach the Y part of a Guard to a regular handle but this may be a better solution to the search for a better handle.

I've heard these are the best and cheapest cart out there. Thanks to your post I ordered one for travel and I think I will attempt your modification.

Very nice. I've been trying to figure out a way to attach the Y part of a Guard to a regular handle but this may be a better solution to the search for a better handle.
Actually my Plan B was to get a 10-32 hex screw (already have it) and cut the handle off slightly below the Y, fill the cavity with epoxy and set the screw in it. Lucky for me, Plan A worked great, but I still have one more Guard handle and the screw and who knows.

Actually my Plan B was to get a 10-32 hex screw (already have it) and cut the handle off slightly below the Y, fill the cavity with epoxy and set the screw in it. Lucky for me, Plan A worked great, but I still have one more Guard handle and the screw and who knows.
I was thinking of something like that or trying to fabricate a Y replacement out of metal and then attach a hex screw to it. The hardest part is figuring out what type of metal strip would have the right amount of flexibility to hold the cartridge in place while still allowing the cartridge to pivot and be easily replaced.

The only reason why I didn't get around to 3D printing a handle for the Guard was because I couldn't get a good enough look at the pivoting part of the Y ends Definitely a challenge. Sure wished the Vector handle was compatible. It was another cheap handle, but it looked better.

When you say, "The base of the handle needed to be notched," what exactly do you mean/did you do?
Compare my first picture with a Gillette Guard handle. Essentially the original handle had a rounded bottom edges. I just snipped it to an upside down "L" shape so the nut could be seated.

@gvw755 , I did the mod you posted and it worked great. I used it once but the magic wasn't there, it still shaved like a cart but what did I expect. :001_unsur I will keep it for emergencies but I will stick to my de and se razors.

Reviving an old thread here but I recently learned if the Gillette Guard and couldn't help but comment here. Cool mod!

With how many people use the guard for head shaving I am surprised no one has figured out a way to attach a guard cart onto a headblade adapter.

I picked up a Gillette Guard almost a year ago mostly as a travel razor and as a razor to use when I was in a hurry. I was very impressed with the razor from the first time I shaved with it. I could not believe how a razor so simple and cheap could be so efficient and well designed. It impressed me so much that in a year's time, the Guard has been elevated to the only cartridge razor in my regular rotation and my designated Finisher Razor (the one I pick up to finish off a bad razor/blade combination). My only gripe with the razor was that the handle was very light and looked cheap. I searched around to find a better handle that might be modified to take the Guard cartridge, and I even considered doing a 3D printed one (and I still might). In the end, I decided to modify the original handle.

I found that a 5/16" X 2 1/2" bolt from a hardware store fit exactly in the hollow handle. The base of the handle needed to be notched so that the end of the bolt would hold snug into the handle.

View attachment 775709 View attachment 775710 View attachment 775711 View attachment 775712

That was easy enough, however to seal the whole thing up and to give it a better grip, I dipped the handle in a couple of layers of Plasti Dip, and now I got a Gillette Guard with some weight to it and a better grip.

View attachment 775713 View attachment 775714

Because the "Y" on the top of the handle took up so much length, the razor is definitely bottom heavy, however it is still easy to control. Definitely an easy mod that doesn't take too much time or effort and delivers a better shaving experience.
You are an inspired Master!!
I followed your lead but sealed the bolt in the handle with a plastic disc (Cut from a silicon watch strap) using clear varnish.
Awesome!
DCE94BDC-42BB-4374-A115-A0A96D35F062.jpeg

You are an inspired Master!!
I followed your lead but sealed the bolt in the handle with a plastic disc (Cut from a silicon watch strap) using clear varnish.
Awesome!
What, that old thing? That was over a year ago. I'm already fooling around with v2.0 - cut the bottom off the Guard, cut the top off a M5 screw and epoxy screw in the well at the bottom of the cut area. Real safety razor handles can now be mounted. Need something short though, otherwise the entire thing gets too long.

P1030251.JPG
P1030250.JPG

Top Bottom