What's new

Modest Return to the Pipe

Stopped quickly at a local cigar bar the other day and the owner said the next day would be his last. (Very sad.) Unfortunately I was close to flat broke and couldn't take advantage of his willingness to liquidate. But i did notice he had a few pipes that looked OK---not special mind you, but OK. They were marked between $30-$40, No brand name, but made in Italy. Well, maybe made in Italy. The word "Italy" is on the pipe. I picked the one I liked the best and asked "How much?" $10 was the reply. I had decided to delay returning to the pipe until 2014, but for $10 what the heck? Here it is:

$Pipe.jpg$Pipe 1.jpg

Smoked it twice already and it's a fine pipe for me to re-start an old hobby/habit I really enjoyed so many years ago. This has convinced me to start again, and I will pick up a few more pipes early in the new year.

I'm breaking the pipe in with Lane Burley Light (BLWB), which while probably too mild for me to use in the long haul, was just about perfect to get back into things. Back when I smoked pipes (30 years ago?) I liked the milder tobacco. Lane 1-Q was the one I remember, but after smelling that and several more, it became clear THIS was the tobacco I liked most of all back then. While it still tastes fine, many years of smoking strong cigars has changed my taste. I'm guessing I will be looking for something different as I move forward. Still, I suspect I will save the really heavy smoking for cigars and use the pipe for a mellow relaxing smoke, with a pleasant room note. This really is an effortless smoke that could stick as an occasional fill for me.

:clap:YAYYYY!!!!!:clap:

Good to have you back, so to speak. That's a pretty slick pipe!

I would feel terrible if I had enabled you at all with my Bun Bun posts :blushing:
:devil2:

Nice looking pipe. Too bad about the shop, I really hate to see local shops of any kind have to close.

I'm never going to be able to drop this Bun Bun thing am I?

That is a shame that the shop is closing. I get upset that it's so hard for smaller business to thrive these days. I will say that's one of the reasons I love my town, in that I know everyone here and have built a relation with all the owners. It's nice to have a connection with someone that's more than monetary.

Picked up an ounce of "That Burley" from a shop in Jacksonville today. No aromatic, just burley--well, clearly. Shopkeep wouldn't tell me who it is from. (Claims he makes his own blend from a couple different tobaccos. OK, which ones? Oh, never mind.) I'm just getting ready to pack a bowl.

I got to thinking if That Girl and That Burley got together, would the end result be That Burley Girl? Yikes!

Bun bun all around!

"That Burley" was very nice. Terrific nicotine buzz, but smooth nonetheless. And for a non-aromatic the room note was pretty good.

Tonight I mixed the tiny bit of the left over Lane BLWB with the straight burley. The result was very nice. Better than either by themselves. If I end up having a better month than I originally anticipated (things are starting to pick up) a new pipe or two, as a personal Christmas present, are in my future. Then the crazy tobacco chase begins. I will be looking to the experts here for advice. I've already noticed the pipe smoke seems to burn a bit cooler, and bit drier, than what I used to experience. That is due, in part at least, to improved packing, smoking the bowl completely and not dumping the spent ash until the pipe is completely cool--much of which I learned here, and on other websites.

I initially learned pipe smoking the same way I initially learned DE shaving so many years ago---on my own with virtually no expert advice. My return to both as been a far more positive experience than it was back when I started. I can't say I don't adjust the advice to my own personal whims, once I have it down. That's just how I am. For some reason, I didn't have any trouble with cigars. I might conclude it is because cigars are fool proof. But observing the way others ruin good cigars, I think there is something else in play.

Tonight I mixed the tiny bit of the left over Lane BLWB with the straight burley. The result was very nice. Better than either by themselves. If I end up having a better month than I originally anticipated (things are starting to pick up) a new pipe or two, as a personal Christmas present, are in my future. Then the crazy tobacco chase begins. I will be looking to the experts here for advice. I've already noticed the pipe smoke seems to burn a bit cooler, and bit drier, than what I used to experience. That is due, in part at least, to improved packing, smoking the bowl completely and not dumping the spent ash until the pipe is completely cool--much of which I learned here, and on other websites.

I initially learned pipe smoking the same way I initially learned DE shaving so many years ago---on my own with virtually no expert advice. My return to both as been a far more positive experience than it was back when I started. I can't say I don't adjust the advice to my own personal whims, once I have it down. That's just how I am. For some reason, I didn't have any trouble with cigars. I might conclude it is because cigars are fool proof. But observing the way others ruin good cigars, I think there is something else in play.

I think care and appreciation are the biggest parts here with cigars. If a guy ruins a cigar, he's usually just smoking it to show off or celebrate an occasion and doesn't have any experience. Pipes can be fool-proof too and self-explanatory as long as you take it slow and care about what you are doing.

Pipes can be fool-proof too and self-explanatory as long as you take it slow and care about what you are doing.

My pipe proved that I'm a fool, I guess. Couldn't get the darn thing to stay lit for more than 30 seconds. I tried packing it 3 times using the Frank method, another technique I read elsewhere, then just guessing. Each time the result matched descriptions of how it ought to be. This fool's gonna need more practice!

My pipe proved that I'm a fool, I guess. Couldn't get the darn thing to stay lit for more than 30 seconds. I tried packing it 3 times using the Frank method, another technique I read elsewhere, then just guessing. Each time the result matched descriptions of how it ought to be. This fool's gonna need more practice!

Practice makes perfect! Also, make sure your 'baccy isn't too wet when you fill (I dislike the term "pack") your pipe. No matter the method, it wont stay lit very well if it's too wet.

Practice makes perfect! Also, make sure your 'baccy isn't too wet when you fill (I dislike the term "pack") your pipe. No matter the method, it wont stay lit very well if it's too wet.

I was thinking it might be too wet. It feels a little more moist than I expect is appropriate. Any shortcuts for drying it, or just leave some out for a few days?

Edit: I should have googled first and posted second. Turns out sufficient drying might happen just leaving it out for a half hour.

Last edited:

If you liked that mix, I'd highly suggest you give the Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic a shot. Lightly aro burley, not heavily cased/topped so it's not sticky wet leaving goop in the bowl while you smoke it.

If you liked that mix, I'd highly suggest you give the Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic a shot. Lightly aro burley, not heavily cased/topped so it's not sticky wet leaving goop in the bowl while you smoke it.

OK, thanks for the rec!

I was thinking it might be too wet. It feels a little more moist than I expect is appropriate. Any shortcuts for drying it, or just leave some out for a few days?

Edit: I should have googled first and posted second. Turns out sufficient drying might happen just leaving it out for a half hour.

No worries, we love to answer questions here!

Top Bottom